Using Daz models for 3d printing

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can I use DAZ models to make 3d printed models?
If yes, is it just for home printing or it's possible to sell it?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Basically, not yet, although their is a proviso in the EULA that says that you will need a license from DAZ 3D. However that license is not available yet.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

The technical answer is not really, a lot of the obj files are single plane so they have no depth (especially hair & clothes) and would require alot of work to make printable. Even the models that appear solid usually have gaps which will cause problems.

Eventually, DAZ will have to create a seperate license and testing process for printable objects, if they want to go into this side of the business. (Probably not financially feasible yet)

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

From my interpretation of the EULA, if you own a 3D printer and want to make models, you can provided that the resulting model can't be scanned and reverse engineered into the original model. Since most people can't afford a $90,000 3D printer, and they typically will use a RoBo, MakerBot, Ultimaker or similar printer, the resulting models will be of such poor quality that there would be no chance of reverse engineering. Most of the models will look horrible - unless you make naked and hairless figures.

If you don't own a 3D printer, you are not allowed to provide the files to a print service, sp you are technically not allowed to 3D print the models.

If DAZ and the PAs were to design specific models for 3D printing - and it would be so VERY easy to do so - it would certainly solve a lot of problems. Actually, the only things that would have to be developed are clothing items and hair styles. Hair would have to sit on the head like a helmet (think Lego figures hair) and clothing would have to be thicker and conform to tightly to the body. Building in an export to .STL from DAZ itself would also be helpful but not required.

Of course, models could be of houses, cars, animals and other items. It may make financial sense to start a line of products specifically for 3D printing.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

From my interpretation of the reply to a request to the company, if you own a 3D printer and want to make models even just for yourself,
    the answer is "no". At least until such time as there be a license made available.

Terrific puzzle is that there are some products made elsewhere by an artist FOR Genesis, including morphs, which appear to have a license for 3D printing. Can't quite picture how that's supposed to happen or what it would really look like lol ...

However, one can model their own figures, can use D/S to pose them, etc. and export out one's own files of one's own creations to print anyway they want to. There is the 'make human' figure available if one wants a starter for such.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

The current EULA does not allow any 3D printing without an additional license. I would assume the point of the license for the morphs on the other site is to make it clear that if a user has a DAZ license for the base figure then they don't need an extra license for the morphs.

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

To be clear, this section - especially the bolded part - needs to be rewritten.

The creation of three-dimensional physical images (3D-print, molded copy, CNC-routed copy, and the like) of Content or any three-dimensional art derived from the Content is permitted only by User’s purchase from DAZ, via the User’s online DAZ store account, of permission to deliver User’s derived works (art), including necessary Content, to an entity that creates three-dimensional images in a physical medium. User may then deliver User’s art in file format to that third party to have three-dimensional physical images printed or created, up to the limitations set forth in the online DAZ Store as delineated on the purchase page associated with the permission purchased. These limitations govern (i) personal and/or commercial use of the three-dimensional physical or printed images; and (ii) the quantity of three dimensional physical or printed images allowed.

Here it is in slightly less obscure terms: permitted only when you - the user - purchases from DAZ, via your DAZ store account, a license which grants you permission to deliver your derived work (art) including whatever mesh and texture data that is required (ie "Content") to a company or individual that creates 3D physicall models (ie, 3D print service). Once you have purchased this permission license, you may then send your art in a file format to the 3D print service to have the 3D models made, upto the limitations set forth by the permission license.

And once again in plain English: Until you buy a permission license, you can't send any DAZ content files to a 3D print service to have 3D models made. You have to buy the permission license through your account on the DAZ store and abide by the terms of the license.

All of the above deals specifically with the transmission of data files from the user to a 3rd party. It makes total sense that DAZ and the PAs don't want their designs sent to some 3D print service.

Raised ink printing is 3D, since the ink is raised off the paper. What about laser engravers; I can etch my designs into wood or glass. As soon as there is a depth measurement, a piece of art is considered 3D. Would this be allowed?

Again, from what I read in the EULA, it is all about the User's distribution of the "Content" that is forbidden unless a permission license is purchased. And that makes sense!

What the above doesn't specifically forbid is Joe Blow using his $500 CrapBot 3D printer to make really low detail and horribly mesh mangled versions of his D|S created figures. But he still shouldn't do it.

Where I see DAZ reluctant to declare 3D printing "allowable for private/home use" is the highly likely situation where someone will break the rules. Which is why, for now, Joe Blow could be liable for damages if he is caught using his CrapBot to make horrible looking 3D models of his D|S creations. Don't do it, Joe!

I wonder if someone could create a program that takes model data, turns it into a point cloud (which gets rid of the mesh), then re-meshes the point cloud to a medium rez construct - say 25k to 50k polygons - and then finally outputs a .STL file for 3D print. The output of such a program would eliminate any transmission of DAZ "Content" while at the same time allow people to use 3D print services.

Post edited by Korvis Black on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

The opening prohibits any 3D printing, even though the license section talks only of sending to a thirds-party for printing.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 311

I am not going to do anything with my model after I print it in 3D.  I will just paint it and display it. Perhaps give it as a gift to someone. 

What I really want to know is there optimal settings to export to either and OBJ or FBX for printing?

If there are what are they?

Thanks.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited October 2018
    leo04 said:

I am not going to do anything with my model after I print it in 3D.  I will just paint it and display it. Perhaps give it as a gift to someone. 

What I really want to know is there optimal settings to export to either and OBJ or FBX for printing?

If there are what are they?

Thanks.

There's a post from a while back talking a little about the process for preparing a model for 3d printing:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/409523/

Optimum settings would probably differ depending on your type of printer, how large you want ot make the print, and so on.

For your first few tries, I highly recommend using the free GamePrint plug-in and submitting the model to them to "fix" it and create your STL. They're currently charging $2.00 US, and you might wind up waiting anywhere from a few minutes to 24 hours, but for me it's totally worth it. I've had them "fix" over a dozen models so far and I'll probably have them do dozens more. At the very least, having your first few done so that you can test your printer knowing that the model is prepared properly will let you see how it handles your models. Once you're confident in your printing skills, you can try stepping though the process of fixiing them yourself by doing one of the models that you've already had done.

- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by Chohole on