Iray Stand Kit

I can see this reduces render time. But does it also reduces memory requirement on GPU so you could set up a complex scene and then move round it? 

Comments

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

I'm thinking this would cut out any lighting alterations that off-camera geometry (or lights) would throw onto the subject. Off-camera geometry can be resource overhead, but it can also make or break how a scene should be lit. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I would guess yes; if the stuff outside isn't calculated, then maybe it isn't loaded - of course, it might be no different or higher as calculates are needed to figure what is or isn't needed! ?? :D

To my mind, this needs a vid or more info.

• Well this uses Iray Section Planes so the geometry is only hidden when you render, not on scene or the viewport. The geometry is still there. Section Planes are useful to get more light in and to position cameras better in small spaces. That said, you can always do an experiment by loading a few section planes and checking if it helps reduce memory at all.
  • I'm thinking this would cut out any lighting alterations that off-camera geometry (or lights) would throw onto the subject. Off-camera geometry can be resource overhead, but it can also make or break how a scene should be lit. 

It would depend on the Clip Lights setting - if off then light could get in and the external geometry would be hidden, if on then the geometry wiould be visible in rlfections etc. and would block external lights. From the description I'm guessing it's the former by default.

• nicstt said:

To my mind, this needs a vid or more info.

I’m with you. I just feel the ad is missing something right now. I think it sounds useful, but you really don’t get a sense of how you use it from the ad. Does it come with instructions? If someone has it, would love to see a video of it in action.

Jason 

• I would also love a video. The product is intriguing and looks useful; I'm inexplicably terrible at orienting self-made section planes correctly and having something already put together would be great. The stand itself would be a bonus.

What I'm really interested in, though, is how well it plays with a product like the Camera View Optimizer. I can see the two making for a really powerful team, especially for those of us with old hardware. We could use a camera large enough to avoid CVO deleting objects that would otherwise extend partly outside of the camera view and thus get culled, and then add in the ISK at the very end to hide the portions of those objects that aren't destined for the final shot and save the VRAM for ones that are.

If it plays nicely with CVO and can do what I've outlined, and help tax my very limited render resources even less, it would go from intriguing to indispensible in a heartbeat.

edited December 2020

I'd rather not buy it just to see if it's useful as I rarely use Studio to render, but something that significantly reduces time gives more options.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    James_H said:

I can see this reduces render time. But does it also reduces memory requirement on GPU so you could set up a complex scene and then move round it? 

I don't think it affects memory requirements as it still loads all the geometry and textures into the scene. It just keeps the geometry from being "seen" and rendered in Iray. 

I'm thinking this would cut out any lighting alterations that off-camera geometry (or lights) would throw onto the subject. Off-camera geometry can be resource overhead, but it can also make or break how a scene should be lit. 

It would depend on the Clip Lights setting - if off then light could get in and the external geometry would be hidden, if on then the geometry wiould be visible in rlfections etc. and would block external lights. From the description I'm guessing it's the former by default.

By default, Clip Lights is Off to allow HDRI light in.

• 3Diva said:

Yes, I thought that would be the case since one of the promos makes a point of how it lets more light in.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    3Diva said:

I didn't realize it was even possible to keep Clip Lights "on." What would be the point of the section plane then?

I made a quick video to show a bit more how the product works:

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Is this like the "X-Ray" cameras that come with some of DimensionTheory's light sets?

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    Sevrin said:

Is this like the "X-Ray" cameras that come with some of DimensionTheory's light sets?

I own Paper Tiger's and it's similar to that. If you own a section plane camera already I'm not sure there's a functional difference apart from the planes being parented to the base, especially if you mostly want to use it to let HDRI light into scenes. If you don't already own one, I think it's down to which setup you prefer and what comes with them (lights vs. the base). 

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

I am still curious, does this product actually decrease render times? I do a lot of indoor night club scenes so the idea of the camera moving around inside the club and just rendering what is in front of the camera would be great if that can shorten render times.

3Diva, I'm not sure if this product will do what I want or not but I just purchased it because you have been one of the most helpful people in the DAZ community. Thank you for your contributions!!

Sevrin said:

I don't have any of DimensionTheory's "X-Ray" cameras so I couldn't say - but if they use Iray Section Planes then yeah, it's probably pretty similar. If you already have a camera that does that I'm not sure if you'll find the Iray Stand Kit helpful or not if all you want it for is to help light scenes with HDRI light and if the X-Ray cameras are set up to do that already. :)

edited December 2020
    kwannie said:

I am still curious, does this product actually decrease render times? I do a lot of indoor night club scenes so the idea of the camera moving around inside the club and just rendering what is in front of the camera would be great if that can shorten render times.

It depends on the scenes. The scenes I've tested usually do go faster - by how much depends on the amount of geometry is in the scene usually. If the scene is pretty light on geometry and already quite well lit the time it takes to use the Iray Stand Kit doesn't usually offset the render time saved. However, scenes that tend to be heavy with geometry and/or not lit as well are usually sped up quite a bit by the use of the Iray Stand Kit. I'm sure a lot of that is the additional light let into the scenes by the HDRIs but hiding some of the geometry from being rendered also seams to help speed things up with scenes with a lot of geometry in it.

For scenes light on geometry and already quite well lit the Iray Stand Kit probably won't make much difference on render times, but geometry heavy scenes and/or scenes that aren't as well lit should see a pretty nice decrease in render times (at least that's been the case in all the scenes I've rendered with it). :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited December 2020
    kwannie said:

3Diva, I'm not sure if this product will do what I want or not but I just purchased it because you have been one of the most helpful people in the DAZ community. Thank you for your contributions!!

Dawwww That's very sweet of you to say! :D Thank you, kwannie!

Edit: If you find that it doesn't do what you want then do keep in mind that you can return it if you'd like (as long as it's within 30 days). :) I'd rather people be happy with my products than keep something they don't like or that doesn't do what they hoped it would. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    3Diva said:
    kwannie said:

It depends on the scenes. The scenes I've tested usually do go faster - by how much depends on the amount of geometry is in the scene usually. If the scene is pretty light on geometry and already quite well lit the time it takes to use the Iray Stand Kit doesn't usually offset the render time saved. However, scenes that tend to be heavy with geometry and/or not lit as well are usually sped up quite a bit by the use of the Iray Stand Kit. I'm sure a lot of that is the additional light let into the scenes by the HDRIs but hiding some of the geometry from being rendered also seams to help speed things up with scenes with a lot of geometry in it.

For scenes light on geometry and already quite well lit the Iray Stand Kit probably won't make much difference on render times, but geometry heavy scenes and/or scenes that aren't as well lit should see a pretty nice decrease in render times (at least that's been the case in all the scenes I've rendered with it). :)

This has been my experience, too. Section planes also make big props and sets much easier to wrangle for me, since I can just cut it down to what I absolutely need to see in Iray viewport. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

This is pretty cool... but I'm starting to feel real stabby because the store won't let me add it to my wishlist... it keeps telling me I'm not logged in when I clearly am... Grrrr.... Well, I'm stubborn and I'm going to keep trying until I break something or forget why I started doing this in the first place.

But great idea and on behalf of dopes like me with not so cutting edge computers, thanks.

• McGyver said:

This is pretty cool... but I'm starting to feel real stabby because the store won't let me add it to my wishlist... it keeps telling me I'm not logged in when I clearly am... Grrrr.... Well, I'm stubborn and I'm going to keep trying until I break something or forget why I started doing this in the first place.

But great idea and on behalf of dopes like me with not so cutting edge computers, thanks.

The workaround is to put it in your cart and then use "Move to Wishlist"

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited December 2020

I've been playing with the kit and it really does make working with section planes much easier. Having the six planes (sides of the cube) all setup for you is great. Having corresponding geometry that you can actually see in the scene is also a huge help.

It's fun to try and find good places to drop the kit into an environment and make a quick little display. The reflections in the glass of the included case add a lot of interest:

- Greg

steampunk-stand.png
    720 x 720 - 793K
    Post edited by algovincian on

algovincian said:

I've been playing with the kit and it really does make working with section planes much easier. Having the six planes (sides of the cube) all setup for you is great. Having corresponding geometry that you can actually see in the scene is also a huge help.

It's fun to try and find good places to drop the kit into an environment and make a quick little display. The reflections in the glass of the included case add a lot of interest:

- Greg

That is SO COOL, Greg! I love it! :D I'm so glad you're having fun with the Iray Stand Kit! What an awesome scene! 

I have been experimenting with with Stand Kit and I do like what it can do, but I seem to be having an issue with output resolution. It look like no matter what dimensions I select in the General tab of the Iray Settings, my render always comes out in an HD format and I most definately have the Stand camera selected.

• 3Diva said:

I have this in my cart ready to buy.  Not sure what you are doing on this video, for me I would prefer a verbal explanation rather than the music though.

edited December 2020

kwannie said:

I have been experimenting with with Stand Kit and I do like what it can do, but I seem to be having an issue with output resolution. It look like no matter what dimensions I select in the General tab of the Iray Settings, my render always comes out in an HD format and I most definately have the Stand camera selected.

The camera has Local Dimensions turned On. This is because the camera's render size has been adjusted for the size of the Stand Kit to be just outside of the camera's view. You can turn off Local Dimensions by going to the "Cameras" tab.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/f5/8f49e76ec74c975462daaed7b3aebb.jpg

Keep in mind that in doing so you may need to manually adjust the size of the Stand Kit, depending on your render dimensions. :)

Screenshot 2020-12-04 143006.jpg
    742 x 351 - 42K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited December 2020

ALLIEKATBLUE said:

3Diva said:

I have this in my cart ready to buy.  Not sure what you are doing on this video, for me I would prefer a verbal explanation rather than the music though.

I don't have a mic. I've included a few tip files with the product - both in the main folder and a secondary folder titled "Tips for Use" - to guide people on how to use it. If, between the video and reading the tip files, you still have trouble understanding how to use the product please post any questions you have here or PM me if you prefer. :) I'm happy to help out in any way I can if you have questions on how to use it.

Post edited by 3Diva on