AoA SSS tutorial issue

BlazmethBlazmeth Posts: 36
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi all,

I decided to methodically do every single tutorial I can find to learn Daz, seems like the only way to go...

So the first of these is the AoA SSS tutorial. I follow every step:

- add and set the lights
- add model
- add SSS on the parts

But then, when I try to change the subsurface preset( skin b, milk, etc..) I dont see any changes. Also, when I tried to reduce the diffuse strength to 0 (as told in the video), the whole skin turns black (very dark). Only the teeth and the eyes stay white (since I did not select them initially to apply the SSS shader).

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Do you not see any difference when you render them and does it stay black on render? How high are you setting the SSS to go with the 0 diffuse?

• BlazmethBlazmeth Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I redid the test but using a simpler setup: 2 spot lights and camera close up on M5. I attached a screenshot of the render settings.

In the surface tab, diffuse is at 0%, diffuse color at white, ambient SSS contribution at 100% pre-SSS - post SSS at 0, SSS material type at skin B and Subsurface Off-On is at 1.00.

Subsurface Strenght.. oh.. crap.. it was at 0... that was my issue I guess...

So, since I already wrote all this, can you explain to me the relationship between the diffuse and the subsurface strength, when I would have to play with these settings?

Screen_Shot_2014-08-22_at_10.54_.23_PM_.png
    424 x 484 - 46K
    SSS-tests.png
    400 x 1600 - 756K
    edited December 1969

Actually, I am now having another issue... I was playing with the shading scale, trying to get the wax look by increasing it dramatically to 4 but it does not seem to change anything in my render. Any idea why?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

So, since I already wrote all this, can you explain to me the relationship between the diffuse and the subsurface strength, when I would have to play with these settings?

My brain is a bit fried so I am going to shoot for a simple explanation. The higher the the SSS the less diffuse you tend to need before the skin starts to get too light. My best suggestion is to do a test render with SSS about 75% and the diffuse at about 50%. You want lights in the scene by the way because they are going to interact with the skin. If the skin looks too bright then you need to increase the diffuse level. If it seems sort of dull then lower the SSS.

I was playing with the shading scale, trying to get the wax look by increasing it dramatically to 4 but it does not seem to change anything in my render.

I have played with trying to get a more plastic look myself and didn't really get the same sort of strong effect you get in other programs. Keep in mind though that part of what would read as "plastic" would be how the specularity behaves on the surfaces.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I will do more experiments when the kids are sleeping tonight. In 12 hours.. ;-S