Comments

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Thanks again for another update, Kerya. Couple there I hadn't seen before -- 3drender looks very interesting, and the Fantasy-net jousting set might be good, although I notice there's no geometry in the zip I downloaded. Haven't run it through DS yet, though.

• English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited August 2014

Kerya said:

There's some great stuff at that page, but be warned that it tends to be high-poly - in the millions sometimes - and might be a strain on us poor folk who can't afford Maya or Max. ;) Also please note the requirement to credit the modeller if you post a render using one of these models.

These models are associated with the Lighting Challenges forum at CGTalk, which is well worth following if you want to see how the pros go about things. The forum has had a new moderator, and recent challenges have had their models posted in the thread only. I think this site belongs to the old moderator, so there may not be any new additions.

Edit: and of course, thanks for the update!

Post edited by English Bob on
  • DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Duly noted, Bob. Thanks very much.

I was able to work with the "Natural History" model from 3dRender in DAZ Studio 3 with no problem (.obj file only, obviously, though I'm not sure of the poly count). I could also add basic lights with shadows and my modest computer didn't complain. I will indeed check the forums re pro lighting and, if I learn anything, sample the model again -- and plug my ears when I hit "render".

This model is by Alvaro Luna Bautista and Joel Andersdon.

Natural_History_Museum_01.jpg
    700 x 464 - 121K
  • English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

The all-in-one OBJ museum model is a little under 750,000 polys, assuming you're using that version, so your machine is doing well. I'd hesitate before presenting something that complex to Poser - which is to say no, I haven't tried it. ;)