Genesis in Carrara question

I've been away from these forums and Carrara for a long time. I've recently rediscovered my love for Carrara and am getting back into it. I've installed 8.5 and the newest Studio so I could play with the Genesis figure. I've installed Genesis and Genesis 2 female to use in Carrara. Both work in Studio, but I'm having a problem in Carrara. When I load Genesis and Genesis 2 female into Carrara I find no morph dials. In the Actor parameters tab, all I have is a button that says 'root'. Pushing the button does nothing and I have no morphs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Hey welcome back, you have been missed., ! Sorry need to leave the answer to someone who knows it?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited November 2020

-- Welcome Back!  You have been missed.  --

Could be a couple of different things, so I apologize for the parts of this that are unnecessary.

----- In Browser Tray ---- Under Content tab ----

1) Do not load Genesis figures from a 'runtime' folder or 'figures' folder.  Yes, even though Genesis, Gensis 2 Female, Genesis 2 Male, etc may appear there, it is because there is a way to convert from there to Poser.  Do NOT do it to load to Carrara.

2) Do load Genesis, Genesis 2 Female, Genesis 2 Male, etc. from content "My Daz3D Library" or "My Library" or something.  I renamed mine and don't remember the default name but it does NOT have the word Runtime in it.  Once inside 'My Daz3D Library' or whatever it is called, the subfolder is People \ Genesis for the default Genesis load.  Or, see People \ Genesis \ Characters for the likes of Victoria 5 or Michael 5.

3)  The items designed specifically for Genesis should appear in subfolders of the respective People Genesis folder.  For example, hair designed for Genesis 1 would be in People \ Genesis \ Hair, while hair designed for the Genesis 2 Male would be in People \ Genesis 2 Male \ Hair.

The first page of the following should help.  See posts # 2-5 or so on the first page of the thread to see where they have placed the default carrara shaders for Genesis.  You can safely ignore the other 40 pages of the thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/119181/no-one-asked-me-diomede-posts-screenshots-on-whatever/p1

Post edited by Diomede on
  • I've been away from these forums and Carrara for a long time. I've recently rediscovered my love for Carrara and am getting back into it. I've installed 8.5 and the newest Studio so I could play with the Genesis figure. I've installed Genesis and Genesis 2 female to use in Carrara. Both work in Studio, but I'm having a problem in Carrara. When I load Genesis and Genesis 2 female into Carrara I find no morph dials. In the Actor parameters tab, all I have is a button that says 'root'. Pushing the button does nothing and I have no morphs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zowie - an original participant from the first Carrrara Challenge back in 2013! 

Great to see you here.  Carrara still kicks butt.  It is hugely underrated.

As for loading Genesis, Diomede's suggestion will allow you to load the figure, but I have trouble assigning global skin maps to them with that method.  My default way to load genesis is to go to Smart Content and load a specific character - Vicky 5, Michael 5, Freak 5, etc.  From there I have no issues, other than perhaps the morph bloating problem, and Alberto's Morph Reduction plugin helps there.

But I need to say, the issue you are having with no morphs loading sounds like something else.  Whichever method I use to load Genesis, the morphs are present.  Have you loaded all the Genesis and Genesis 2 Starter Essentials?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited November 2020
    Diomede said:

-- Welcome Back!  You have been missed.  --

Could be a couple of different things, so I apologize for the parts of this that are unnecessary.

----- In Browser Tray ---- Under Content tab ----

1) Do not load Genesis figures from a 'runtime' folder or 'figures' folder.  Yes, even though Genesis, Gensis 2 Female, Genesis 2 Male, etc may appear there, it is because there is a way to convert from there to Poser.  Do NOT do it to load to Carrara.

2) Do load Genesis, Genesis 2 Female, Genesis 2 Male, etc. from content "My Daz3D Library" or "My Library" or something.  I renamed mine and don't remember the default name but it does NOT have the word Runtime in it.  Once inside 'My Daz3D Library' or whatever it is called, the subfolder is People \ Genesis for the default Genesis load.  Or, see People \ Genesis \ Characters for the likes of Victoria 5 or Michael 5.

3)  The items designed specifically for Genesis should appear in subfolders of the respective People Genesis folder.  For example, hair designed for Genesis 1 would be in People \ Genesis \ Hair, while hair designed for the Genesis 2 Male would be in People \ Genesis 2 Male \ Hair.

The first page of the following should help.  See posts # 2-5 or so on the first page of the thread to see where they have placed the default carrara shaders for Genesis.  You can safely ignore the other 40 pages of the thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/119181/no-one-asked-me-diomede-posts-screenshots-on-whatever/p1

Holy Zowies! I never knew that! Thanks Diomede! I fell in love with the whole Genesis design during the 8.5 beta phase, and Spooky kinda told me what I needed to know, so never even checked a Runtime path for it!

Hey BooksbyDavid! Great seeing you again! Just seeing your name always reminds me of HeadWax's very first of the Carrara Challenges! That garden pool scene you dod was/is Su-freaking-perb!!!

Since you're looking to get invloved woth Genesis, I thought that I should let you know that I have a very Genesis-in-Carrara centric websire going at Dartanbeck.com

I even have a nice little freebie Character Template scene with video instructions

Character Design Support Page

Here's a fun little intro to the character on the cover of that video

There's a lot of Genesis info in there. Have a poke around if you like ;)

Here are some quick links that may help:

Genesis 1 Rocks!!!

Using Genesis in Carrara

Genesis Morph Reduction

Modeling for Genesis

Carrara Info Guide

Cheers! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :)

Thanks, Diomede! I figured it out. (Doing the Happy Dance.)

One other thing, though. I'm not seeing anything in the Smart Content tab. I've updated the content database in Studio (because I've so far installed everything by hand). Smart content appears in Studio, but not in Carrara.

Thanks in advance. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Call back @UnifiedBrain.  I don't know anything about the Smart Content database.

• Is there any way to get the skeleton in Genesis and Genesis 2 not to be visible. Every time I select Actor the skeleton appears. It gets in the way of viewing the character.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2020

Is there any way to get the skeleton in Genesis and Genesis 2 not to be visible. Every time I select Actor the skeleton appears. It gets in the way of viewing the character.

I have Fenric's change bone visibility plugin. I don't know if it's still available...I think he put some of his plugins out there when his store was closed.  If not, I think someone said they changed the colour of the bones from the blue-white combo to something else. Sorry I can't recall about that. Maybe that person is still around and can post?

Nice to see you here!   ETA:  I saw an old post of yours about the Christmas 2014 challenge and see another name I miss.  Antara. 

yes  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • One other thing, though. I'm not seeing anything in the Smart Content tab. I've updated the content database in Studio (because I've so far installed everything by hand). Smart content appears in Studio, but not in Carrara.

Since day one in Carrara (2016), I have allowed DIM to install everything.  And Smart Content has worked from day one.

Old-school users here (pre DIM) have naturally developed different ways to load and organize their products.  As a newer user, I have found DIM to be reliable and Smart Content to be extremely useful.

I'm not sure if installing each product youself will allow Smart Content to work.  Wendy might be a better person to ask.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited November 2020
    One other thing, though. I'm not seeing anything in the Smart Content tab. I've updated the content database in Studio (because I've so far installed everything by hand). Smart content appears in Studio, but not in Carrara.

Since day one in Carrara (2016), I have allowed DIM to install everything.  And Smart Content has worked from day one.

Old-school users here (pre DIM) have naturally developed different ways to load and organize their products.  As a newer user, I have found DIM to be reliable and Smart Content to be extremely useful.

I'm not sure if installing each product youself will allow Smart Content to work.  Wendy might be a better person to ask.

why me????

I was the one smart content would not work for on Win7 but works on Win10 and I have utterly no idea why

I also use DIM

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Is there any way to get the skeleton in Genesis and Genesis 2 not to be visible. Every time I select Actor the skeleton appears. It gets in the way of viewing the character.

Yes. The Change Bone Visibility plugin, by Fenric is available for free Here

All of Fenric's plugin are now free Here

edited November 2020

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :)

Thanks, Diomede! I figured it out. (Doing the Happy Dance.)

Thanks in advance. 

Smart Content works in Carrara, but not exactly the same way. 

I don't use it, so I'm working off of memory here.

It only works with content that has Metadata attached to it. 

We must have a metadata object selected in Carrara, and in the Smart Content tab, open the "Files" category and start picking various categories. It's not as elegant or complete as the DS Smart Content, but it does work.

Note: It may take a while at first to get your Smart Content tab updated. I guess if we use it a lot it is muc quicker, but at first it has to get itself optimized with your installed content.

I'll have to take a look at it and see if I remembered this correctly.

• One other thing, though. I'm not seeing anything in the Smart Content tab. I've updated the content database in Studio (because I've so far installed everything by hand). Smart content appears in Studio, but not in Carrara.

why me????

I was the one smart content would not work for on Win7 but works on Win10 and I have utterly no idea why

I also use DIM

I figured that you had experience loading stuff both with and without DIM, and would therefore have a bigger frame of reference than I. :)

• Thanks again, folks. :)

Dartanbeck, funnily enough the Bone Visisbility plugin is the only one of Fenric's I didn't grab. On my way there now. :)

Also, it seems I've lost my Genesis and Genesis 2 morphs again. All I did was turn the computer off. :(

Dartanbeck, funnily enough the Bone Visisbility plugin is the only one of Fenric's I didn't grab. On my way there now. :)

Also, it seems I've lost my Genesis and Genesis 2 morphs again. All I did was turn the computer off. :(

now that gives some insight

Is Carrara seeing the drive or folder they are in?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

don't forget the db conversion tool is needed via the DiM ... and you will know if it works if you have a large library as it takes a few minutes to convert.

edited November 2020

Hmmm... Are you using DIM or Daz Connect, from within Daz Studio?

I've been using DIM since it came out and love it! I don't use Smart Content, but use DIM to add/remove all of my content. I love using the database within DIM to be able to locate any of the files included with anything I buy from Daz 3D.

I set it up to give me all manner of different categories to install to for my Poser content - basically everthing before Genesis for figures, and any Poser files that I but for Carrara use. However, I always install DUF files to the default My Daz 3D Library.

Back when Carrara 8.5 was in Beta, Genesis was going through all manner of changes - especially to get it working within Carrara. It was during this Carrara Compatibility phase when the main file extensions were changed from .dsf to .duf

During those times, folks who were not using DIM had plenty of issues from not going back and uninstalling previous builds of content (Genesis) before manually installing the newer stuff. DIM automatically uninstalled before installing for us.

Anyway... I'm not quite sure how your content could disappear. I think that "Daz Connect" within Studio allows you to work with content 'on the fly' without actually installing content to your drive, which is why we see "Daz Connect Offline Package" options in our Daz 3D product library pages for out individual purchases. I've never used Daz Connect, so I'm not sure if that's correct. But if you're not seeing content in Carrara that you have in Daz Studio, that might be the case.

Another thing to know is that, if you change database categories and organization within Daz Studio, I'm not sure any of that would carry over into Carrara unless using Smmart Content tab. Even still... not sure. Carrara hasn'r seen an update since... well... when you were quite young! LOL Okay, I may have made up that last part! ;)

I set it up to give me all manner of different categories to install to for my Poser content - basically everthing before Genesis for figures, and any Poser files that I but for Carrara use. However, I always install DUF files to the default My Daz 3D Library.

Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes
    Basic walkthrough of designing your own custom runtime structure

now that gives some insight

Is Carrara seeing the drive or folder they are in?

I see it when I add folder, so I'm assuming Carrara knows where it is. This all could be down to me, since technically it's all new to me. Not giving up yet, but it sure is frustrating.

• Well, it's almost midnight where I'm at and I at last seem to have all the Genesis and Genesis 2 morphs back. Don't know if it's anything I did, or just a happy accident. We'll see in the morning.

Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully, this time the fix will take. :)

• Everything still works. Yay! Now, let's see what else I can break. :)

Thanks again for all the help. 

• Great to hear!

You may have noticed, there is a Challenge afoot, #55.  Jump in if you start feeling bold. smiley

• :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited November 2020

i had a lot of fun with genesis wolfhound in carrara.  portrayedd him as a car mechanic lol

Post edited by Mistara on
    Mystiarra said:

i had a lot of fun with genesis wolfhound in carrara.  portrayedd him as a car mechanic lol

What a great idea for him!