Recommended Mirror Shaders

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

I have a few environments that have floor to ceiling mirrors that can sometimes be tricky to work with due to what/how they reflect. I've heard that there are perhaps some metal shaders that work like mirrors. I wondered if anyone out there had a commonly used go to/work around when it comes to mirrors. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767
    edited November 2020

What's wrong with just setting Base and Glossy Colour to white or grey, Metallicity to 1, and Glossy Roughness to 0 (or 0.1)? Instant Mirror.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
    Well I don't know. I'll have to try that. I am not as well versed in that sort of thing I guess.
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767
    edited November 2020
    DDCreate said:
    Well I don't know. I'll have to try that. I am not as well versed in that sort of thing I guess.

Apologies, I came off as standoffish!

I think I took a look at the number of your posts and made some wrong assumptions.

Give it a try and report back!

Post edited by Hylas on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited November 2020

Way back when Iray was first introduced, someone suggested using the Silver Metal shader from the default resources. Turn the Glossy Roughness parameter down to a tiny fraction, or off altogether, unless you want an actual metal mirror with no glass.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
    Hylas said:
    DDCreate said:

Apologies, I came off as standoffish!

I think I took a look at the number of your posts and made some wrong assumptions.

Give it a try and report back!

Ha! No worries at all. I guess that means my past posts made me sound smarter than I am? Yay me! lol Thank you for the directions. It does give the effect i was looking for. :)

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

This one says it comes with a mirror finish shader. Could come in handy.

https://www.daz3d.com/1stb-mirrored-finish-props-and-vignettes

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

OK. I came here because I too needed a mirror shader. 

So after trying all the suggestions here and failing (see Screenshot 1) to get a mirror finish with a metal shader or base color or anything for that matter. I finally just gave up and purchased the mirrored finish props:

https://www.daz3d.com/1stb-mirrored-finish-props-and-vignettes

With one click I got screenshot 2. Mirrored sunglasses! Thank you!!!

Was it worth $16 ??? I guess if it saves me 3 hours of trying to get the other shaders to work, then yes. Ugh!

Screenshot 1.png
    822 x 683 - 907K
    Screenshot 2.png
    1390 x 754 - 1M