Blender to Daz3D export (no textures required just mesh)

psfilipepsfilipe Posts: 164
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi there,

I've been trying to export a Blender mesh to daz3D and I'm getting very weird results.
I just want to export the model. No textures whatsoever. Just the geometry.

What I do is:

1. Model in Blender
2. Export as .obj
3. Import in Daz3D

It works BUT the model looks very strange.
Like it has been textured (and once you look at the Surfaces tab you see it's not) and I can't make it look like a regular file from Daz3D.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions as to how to do this better?

Thank you,

.p

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't know what you are describing, can you please post an image of the problem.

Any mesh that you load into DAZ Studio will have some sort of texture (even just the default DAZ shader) what is it that you expext to see?
    You can change the viewport setting in DAZ Studio to something other than Texture Shaded, like Lit Wiireframe for example.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

Blender uses a vertical Z axis, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that your mesh is loading into DS looking like it's using a blackish texture, if it is then you will need to reverse the winding order in the Polygon Group Editor in DS, this will "flip" the normals and point them outwards away from the center of the mesh.

• psfilipepsfilipe Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

Here's what I see in Blender (standard Icosphere)

Here's what I see in Daz3D (default lights)

I know it's probably some materials setting that isn't getting exported. But I tried so many different options...

Thank you for your help!

.p

edited December 1969

Breakthrough!!

Thank you so very, very much Bejaymac! (and JimmyC_2009!!)
    You nailed it.

And just in case anyone is completely lost (like I was) all you need to do is this:

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you got it fixed, and thanks Bejaymac.

@psfilipe

Just for future reference, you can post images directly to the forum here by using the 'Browse' button to find the image on your computer, and then Submitting the post, it is a lot easier.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

You might want to try your settings with something a bit more complicated (points at pic) the one at the back laying face down is using your import settings, the one at the front that is laying face up is using the Blender import preset, while the one in the middle standing up is using the DS import preset, only changes I made was to set the import scale on all three to 150%.

So it usually pays to just play with the presets, that way you will probably find one that does the job without having to worry about messing around with axis swapping.

Imports.jpg
    635 x 540 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Guys, again... thank you so much. You've helped my workflow immensely.

Cheers,

.p