Migrating Old Content Database

Trake118Trake118 Posts: 79
edited December 1969 in New Users

When I reinstalled windows a few months ago I had forgotten that I had foolishly allowed the content management service to install to the default location. As a result, once again I don't have my old contentDB files as they were before the reinstall. However, I do have some that go back a little ways and I wanted to revert back to that. I took those files and placed them in the content management service directory but this didn't do anything. Nothing is mapped when I go into Daz3d. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you using, and are you sure that you are still using CMS (Valentina DB)?

The latest version of DS allows you to use the PostgreSQL DB instead, did you install that?

The CMS is installed to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases is that where you put your DB files into. It is not mapped as such inside DAZ Studio, but the content library MUST be. You need to make sure that the path to your library folder is mapped in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager under BOTH DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.

However, I do have some that go back a little ways and I wanted to revert back to that.

Do you mean a User data file that contains Categroies that you created your self, or just older versions of ContentDB?

If you go to the Content Library pane, and use the drop-down menu at the top right, select Content DB Maintentnace, and then select Re-Import Metadata, that should pick up the older DB files for you.
  • Trake118Trake118 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you using, and are you sure that you are still using CMS (Valentina DB)?

The latest version of DS allows you to use the PostgreSQL DB instead, did you install that?

The CMS is installed to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases is that where you put your DB files into. It is not mapped as such inside DAZ Studio, but the content library MUST be. You need to make sure that the path to your library folder is mapped in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager under BOTH DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.

However, I do have some that go back a little ways and I wanted to revert back to that.

Do you mean a User data file that contains Categroies that you created your self, or just older versions of ContentDB?

If you go to the Content Library pane, and use the drop-down menu at the top right, select Content DB Maintentnace, and then select Re-Import Metadata, that should pick up the older DB files for you.

I have the ContentDB files. Such as ContentDB.ind.

I think the re-import metadata inserts metadata into your categories which is an enormous problem. I wish I could permentantly ensure no metadata ever ends up on my computer. It does horrible things to my categorizing efforts.

I have mapped my directories.

edited December 1969

I have tried to import metadata but that doesn't do anything. Also, I cannot even create subcategories under "categories". I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe I need to uninstall everything again and redo?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Are you using Windows, if so, go to the Start menu, All Programs > DAZ 3D, and you should find an entry to restart CMS.

CMS should be running as a process in Task Manager if you are still using the older Valentina database.

The best thing to do would be to find PostgreSQL in your DIM downloads and install that. There is also an option there to reimport the Valentina db to PostgreSQL which gives much less bother that the older CMS/Valentina does.

edited August 2014

Are you using Windows, if so, go to the Start menu, All Programs > DAZ 3D, and you should find an entry to restart CMS.

CMS should be running as a process in Task Manager if you are still using the older Valentina database.

The best thing to do would be to find PostgreSQL in your DIM downloads and install that. There is also an option there to reimport the Valentina db to PostgreSQL which gives much less bother that the older CMS/Valentina does.

I am on Windows. I have started the CMS, but that doesn't do anything. I wrote over the contentDB files with the contentDB files that I already had, but nothing shows up in my categories and I can't create new folders. I downloaded and installed DAZPostresqlCMS_9.3.4.exe but that didn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure how I am supposed to use that to replace the valentina DB or import data from the Valentina DB. Maybe my contentDB files are from some older version of contentDB and it won't work with the whatever management system it's trying to use? I'm not sure.

When I delete the contentDB files it goes back to allowing me to create folders and such, but of course I don't have my old content mappings. How do I actually import mappings from contentDB files?

Post edited by Trake118 on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Trake118 said:

I am on Windows. I have started the CMS, but that doesn't do anything. I wrote over the contentDB files with the contentDB files that I already had, but nothing shows up in my categories and I can't create new folders. I downloaded and installed DAZPostresqlCMS_9.3.4.exe but that didn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure how I am supposed to use that to replace the valentina DB or import data from the Valentina DB. Maybe my contentDB files are from some older version of contentDB and it won't work with the whatever management system it's trying to use? I'm not sure.

When I delete the contentDB files it goes back to allowing me to create folders and such, but of course I don't have my old content mappings. How do I actually import mappings from contentDB files?

If you don't have a Categories folder, that's perhaps because the database isn't running.

I don't remember how the converter works, however you don't need to use it; you can simply do a database export and import, same as you used to with the old database. Export in valentina and save your file somewhere, install PostgreSQL (which I believe should just start using it, although one could uninstall the old CMS too just to be sure), then import from your saved file. (Let us know if you want export/import instructions, also remember you'll want your content directory mappings which are separate from the export/import.)

If you are using the Valentina database, and it is correctly pointing to the database files location and the files are it's original ones, you don't have to do anything; it will still be there. (That's how I used to back up my valentina database in the past, I just copied all the files and made sure to specify the custom database location when I installed DS.)