Muti-select / delete shader domains & materials?

rtweedrtweed Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Some of the UI components in Hexagon are a bit clunky, so standard things don't work. Maybe there is a non-standard way to get it to work? I cannot find a way to select multiple shader domains: shift+clicking doesn't seem to do it. Pressing delete does not appear to delete the shader domain either.

So, is there a quick way to delete a bunch of these? Let's say I'm taking a fairly complex model and I want a simplified version to use as a guide / placeholder / mannequin. I want to remove all the shader domains and materials, replacing them with just one for the whole model, so when I'm working on something else I can focus on that and not have my environment cluttered up with a bunch of shaders I don't care about.

Right now I have to click the arrow, move the mouse to "remove", click again and repeat. This is awkward, repetitive and slow, so I'm looking for a faster option if there is one.

While we're talking about this UI, is there a better way to rename shader domains? With normal UI components you would press F2, the text is highlighted and you edit it. With the Hexagon UI, there doesn't appear to be a keyboard shortcut (can you bind one?) and when you do select "rename" in the menu, it opens up a little dialog window, which with my palette layout appears in the middle of the other monitor than the one where I have my shader domains! I can put up with that for one or two shader domains but if I were creating lots of them it would get old pretty fast.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited August 2014

rtweed said:
    Some of the UI components in Hexagon are a bit clunky, so standard things don't work. Maybe there is a non-standard way to get it to work? I cannot find a way to select multiple shader domains: shift+clicking doesn't seem to do it. Pressing delete does not appear to delete the shader domain either.

So, is there a quick way to delete a bunch of these? Let's say I'm taking a fairly complex model and I want a simplified version to use as a guide / placeholder / mannequin. I want to remove all the shader domains and materials, replacing them with just one for the whole model, so when I'm working on something else I can focus on that and not have my environment cluttered up with a bunch of shaders I don't care about.

Right now I have to click the arrow, move the mouse to "remove", click again and repeat. This is awkward, repetitive and slow, so I'm looking for a faster option if there is one.

While we're talking about this UI, is there a better way to rename shader domains? With normal UI components you would press F2, the text is highlighted and you edit it. With the Hexagon UI, there doesn't appear to be a keyboard shortcut (can you bind one?) and when you do select "rename" in the menu, it opens up a little dialog window, which with my palette layout appears in the middle of the other monitor than the one where I have my shader domains! I can put up with that for one or two shader domains but if I were creating lots of them it would get old pretty fast.

If the main model is grouped, select 'all' the groups [can right-click/drag in the viewport] and 'weld' them together.
    The go to 'faces', Ctrl + a OR toggle transparency on and right-click drag to select all of the faces, then on the Shading Domains, click 'create new'. Now you will have one shading domain.
    Export out the .obj file and close Hexagon.
    Open Hexagon and import in just the one new .obj file.
    Remove any remaining material references in the materials tab and/or any left over Shading Domains if there be any left over in the Shading Domains tab.
    Export out the .obj file.
    Close Hexagon.
    Open Hexagon, import new .obj file.
    If all looks as desired, save the project and carry on.

For a multicoloured "one group" mannequin, I have a tutorial over in my DA Gallery ... the one about Hair, part 5.
    http://patience55anotherone.deviantart.com/gallery/49373175/Tutorials

Post edited by patience55 on