Catergories disappearing ? - Solved

AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
edited August 2014 in New Users

Hi friends, I finally reorganized my content library into Categories thanx to SereneNight tutorial. After 4 hrs ! of re-arranging my Caterories folder disappears !! I re-start Daz, still does not re-appear.

I restart my computer, Categories folder reappears, as I begin to click on content, some visible, some not visible, but now between 10-15 minutes categories folder disappears again. Restart computer, appears again. Very strange.

Anyone have any idea, what is causing the issue, thanx.

Post edited by AJ2112 on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Sounds like a corrupt database. Are you using Valentina or PostgreSQL?

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi Mike, thanx. No not using either. What could cause database to corrupt. Everything else works flawless, just categories disappears, when I try to use it.

I had read another thread same thing happened to another user, only DS was suppose to repair the issue with upgrade last year.

Sounds like a corrupt database. Are you using Valentina or PostgreSQL?
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

awesomefb, your categories are being managed by either one or the other of the two content managers. If the CMS exits unexpectedly or doesn't start, for example, your categories will not be visible because the CMS isn't available and running to show them to you. Originally DS used the older Valentina database, however the latest version has the option of using the newer Postgres database instead.

edited December 1969

Thanx Sean, how do I know which one ? Well, I have the latest version of DS, must be postgres. Is there a fix for the problem, other then re-installing DS ?

awesomefb, your categories are being managed by either one or the other of the two content managers. If the CMS exits unexpectedly or doesn't start, for example, your categories will not be visible because the CMS isn't available and running to show them to you. Originally DS used the older Valentina database, however the latest version has the option of using the newer Postgres database instead.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In the DS log file, look for the line "Connected to CMS" -- it will either say PostgreSQL 9.3.4, or just 4.8.3 if it's using Valentina. PostgreSQL CMS is currently only installable using DIM.

edited August 2014

Hi Mike, I'm connected to CMS: 4.8 Valentina. I just opened DIM, I haven't installed PostgreSQL (Win 64-bit), nor installed PostgreSQL CMS from Valentina CMS conversion. I clicked on CMS faq link, read this.

Q: What is PostgreSQL Conversion from Valentina CMS?
    A: "Installing" this transfers the data from the Valentina CMS to the PostgreSQL CMS. It takes a while, as the "installation" is the actual transfer of the information. If it only takes a second, it probably didn't work. As noted, the biggest problem with the Valentina CMS was database corruption, which can cause the transfer to fail. This is why I recommended Exporting User Data before installing PostgreSQL.

What does it mean exporting user data before installing PostgreSQL ? No instructions.

This is all to confusing, Lol !!! Think I'll just stick with my unorganized content library.

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited August 2014

awesomefb said:
    Hi Mike, I'm connected to CMS: 4.8 Valentina. I just opened DIM, I haven't installed PostgreSQL (Win 64-bit), nor installed PostgreSQL CMS from Valentina CMS conversion. I clicked on CMS faq link, read this.

Q: What is PostgreSQL Conversion from Valentina CMS?
    A: "Installing" this transfers the data from the Valentina CMS to the PostgreSQL CMS. It takes a while, as the "installation" is the actual transfer of the information. If it only takes a second, it probably didn't work. As noted, the biggest problem with the Valentina CMS was database corruption, which can cause the transfer to fail. This is why I recommended Exporting User Data before installing PostgreSQL.

What does it mean exporting user data before installing PostgreSQL ? No instructions.

This is all to confusing, Lol !!! Think I'll just stick with my unorganized content library.

To export user data:

In the content pane bring up the content menu at the upper right corner of the pane and select "Content DB Maintenance .."

In the Dialog check "Export User Data" and click accept.

Will take a few minutes depending on how much user data you have.

Image2.jpg
    362 x 365 - 27K
    Image1.jpg
    432 x 552 - 43K
    Post edited by mark128 on
    edited August 2014

Thanx friends, I'll give it a shot. Content library works fine, as the saying goes, don't mess up a working product. But I enjoy the simplisity of catergories.

Post edited by AJ2112 on
    edited December 1969

Awesome ! Content catergories is working ! Thanx friends.