What video card ideal for vue?

jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,
I was looking at a page of description of video cards ideal for vue, but I confess I did not reach a consensus.
I've been thinking about a GTX460, but I'm uncertain ...
I think vue does not use video card to render (I'm right / or wrong?)
I think the video card will improve the interface and leave the work area vue lighter ... But I fear that I may be wrong.
Anyone here use vue, can help?
thank you

Comments

• jaunke_29fff27795jaunke_29fff27795 Posts: 144
    edited December 1969

You're right, the video card isn't used for rendering, just for the display window.

The one you mention is in there list of supported cards, so don't think you could go wrong with that.

My card isn't supported, but i just have to work with lower settings, And Vue still does a good job :).

Grtz Jean-Claude

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Try this http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/f.a.q/?page=vue10completeFAQ#a14 scroll down a bit for a list of recommended cards

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Hello!
    I am using Vue Infinite for many years and had always good luck with nVidia cards. Currently I am running a GTX460 with 1 Gb memory and it works quite well. I can recommend this card.

The others are correct, Vue does use the graphics card primarily for display purposes. However, a good card is important to be able to preview the layout of ecosystems and so on. Vue Infinite can also use the card for hardware assisted anti-aliasing to improve rendering quality/speed.
    Ciao
    TD

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited December 1969

I had a pair of ASUS 470's in my machine-- they run very hot and were pretty noisy. The 500 or 600 series run cooler and more quiet. I have EVGA 570s in my machine now and I'm really happy with them.

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Hmm! Thanks for the replies!
    is that I'm using a Nvidia GT9500 in poser pro, and when I click on Poser scenes with many items, the work area is too heavy to animate. The scenes go on starts when pulled by the mouse.
    I can not buy vue infinite now, I buy vue "complete" later this month.
    However, vue has complete output of the animation in 1920, only;
    I was wondering: Is there some trick to make complete vue export animations above 1920 resolution?
    For example: I saw that vue complete, render images with unlimited size, then ... Would if I set an animation to render in vue in sequence of pictures (jpeg), to put it together in a video editor?
    Work?

edited December 1969

Hmm! Thanks for the replies!
    is that I'm using a Nvidia GT9500 in poser pro, and when I click on Poser scenes with many items, the work area is too heavy to animate. The scenes go on starts when pulled by the mouse.
    I can not buy vue infinite now, I buy vue "complete" later this month.
    However, vue has complete output of the animation in 1920, only;
    I was wondering: Is there some trick to make complete vue export animations above 1920 resolution?
    For example: I saw that vue complete, render images with unlimited size, then ... Would if I set an animation to render in vue in sequence of pictures (jpeg), to put it together in a video editor?
    Work?

The faster the graphics card and the more memory it has, the more fluent your interface will be. Something like a GTX460 or better is a good investment. Vue also allows you to adapt the display to the scene. In heavy scenes I will usually reduce the detail a bit and lower texture resolution.

Vue Infinite does not limit the animation size, but you also will need some very serious computation power if you want to render as large as 1920 or larger. depending on what you render, Frame times will easily end up at many minutes or even hours. Unless you have access to a render farm, you will have a hard time finishing anything that large. As an example check out my animation at deviantArt. This flyover of 1 minute of animation at 24 frames per second used a rendering time of about 6 days with frames taking between 8 and 15 minutes to finish depending on the amount of fog and detail.This is with 1280*720 per frame on a quadcore i7930. Animation Link

You can see some more examples on my Youtube channel.

As for circumventing the limit by rendering to image files, that should be possible, but you would need to forward the frames manually, making it very tedious and not really practical.

Ciao
    TD

edited December 1969

This is a dilemma ...
    Vue Infinite, is a bit above what I pay;
    vue complete, this I can pay for it, and spare cash, I can pay for a GTX460.
    I have a computer with a processor phenomII x6 1090t/8gigas memories of ram / 64 bit win7.
    I'm looking at a computer in Brazil to buy:
    intel core i7 2600/8gigas of memories /
    I intend to render animations from poser pro, vue in using two computers.
    The problem that I think de vue complete, is only the limit of resolution is only 1920 '.
    I may have to stop buying something in order to pay for vue infinity ... If at least eon send discount coupons, or promotions, greatly facilitate.

edited December 1969

Well ... A DVD entertainment, today is the maximum resolution that now?

edited December 1969

Standard DVD resolution is much lower than 1920 width. It is 720 × 576 or 720 × 480 depending on the frame rate which in turn depends on the scanning rate of the attached TV system (50 or 60 Hz). Blueray goes to higher resolution up to 1280×720 and 1920×1080.

If you want to render for use on DVD or Blueray you do not need anything more than Vue Complete which can go to 1920 widths.
    Ciao
    TD

edited December 1969

thd777 said:

Standard DVD resolution is much lower than 1920 width. It is 720 × 576 or 720 × 480 depending on the frame rate which in turn depends on the scanning rate of the attached TV system (50 or 60 Hz). Blueray goes to higher resolution up to 1280×720 and 1920×1080.

If you want to render for use on DVD or Blueray you do not need anything more than Vue Complete which can go to 1920 widths.
    Ciao
    TD

Wow! This is a good explanation! Now yes, this clarified.
    Thank you!
    I am sure now that vue complete, suits my needs.
    Now ... I think your video is 24 frames per second (sorry if I'm wrong)
    24 or 25 or 30 frames per second ... It is free to choose frames per second?

edited July 2012

thd777 said:

Ciao
    TD

Wow! This is a good explanation! Now yes, this clarified.
    Thank you!
    I am sure now that vue complete, suits my needs.
    Now ... I think your video is 24 frames per second (sorry if I'm wrong)
    24 or 25 or 30 frames per second ... It is free to choose frames per second?

For DVD the frame rate depends on the scanning frequency of the TV system used which is region specific. The two main ones are 25 frames per second, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 50 Hz image scanning frequency) and At 29.97 frames per second, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency). Keep in mind that you can adjust this when you master the final DVD video in a video editing program. I use Sony Vegas or Adobe After Effects but there are others.
    In any case it is best to render to an image sequence and then master the video in an editing program. That way it is easier to recover from crashes during rendering and to replace frames with problems.
    Ciao
    TD

Edit to add: For web video like my example the frame rate is not critical as long as it looks good. Mine was 24 frames per second.

Post edited by thd777 on
    edited December 1969

Hmm, thanks!
    that's all I needed to know!