newbie question, how do I apply a shader to a plane?

I purchased this shader pack.

https://www.daz3d.com/woodland-leaf-floors-daz-studio-shaders

And I just want to have a simple plane that looks like what is pictured, but I can't figure it out.

I have the object selected, the surface selected under the editor tab, but when I apply a shader, it just turns to a light blue. 

Any help would be appreciated because I am lost.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,126

Some shaders have to be rendered to show up properly. The preview can't show them right.

• That appears to be a shader for 3Delight [so not for use with Iray]. Also models that are not uvmapped normally will appear as colour only even when rendered. The planes made in D/S are.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

That appears to be a shader for 3Delight [so not for use with Iray]. Also models that are not uvmapped normally will appear as colour only even when rendered. The planes made in D/S are.

The shader in question appears to not be procedurally generated but map based, which means it should work on a primitive plane in IRAY even if it was made for 3DL.

@neocarbunkle, how does your result look like, and how do your surface settings look like after you applied the shader?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,008
    Hylas said:

The shader in question appears to not be procedurally generated but map based, which means it should work on a primitive plane in IRAY even if it was made for 3DL.

It depends on which 3DL base shader it uses. Some aren't converted automatically to Iray.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited November 2020

Hope you get the 3DL and/or Iray problem figured out. One thing I like to do with these sorts of shaders is apply them to the morphing terrain prop in Maclean's Everyday Morphing Primitives.

If you line up the morphing terrain prop so as to be your floor, and you look at it at an angle like in the promo picture, and you "roughen" it a bit or give it some bumps, then the leaves may appear more irregular, more 3-D like.

Edit: I added captions (in red) under the two terrain planes in the attached screenshot. Hope this helps.

screenshot2.jpg
    1440 x 855 - 225K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on