Tips for working when standing (not sitting) with PC?

akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
edited October 2020 in The Commons

Due to current health issues i should not sit much, preferrably stand, during several weeks. Which of course not really comfortable to do something in 3D/2D editors (yeah its only comfortable to read and watch).

And i dont have graphic tablet setup (and dont have $ for it either).

Anyone had similar experience and have ideas?

p.s. and if i stand on knees (so it's easier to hands for keyboard/mouse, and  display is on level), would be bad for them even though i have carpet and can add pillows

Post edited by akmerlow on

Comments

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    I have a Varidesk but all you do is get sore in other places after a while. What really helps is to take frequent breaks and do stretches or walk around the block. And stop growing old.
  • What I tried was setting a timer. If I only wanted to sit for 15 minutes at a time I set my phone for that. When the phone went off then I'd hit the button and the desk would raise to standing, back when I spent a lot of time in my office. I definitely would not try kneeling that is very bad for your knees.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Roller Skates?

Might not be the best suggestion, but it could be fun, or at least make you feel a bit younger at heart... not recommended if your workstation is near stairs or a railing... also skates and shag carpeting are probably not a good combination!

cheeky

On a more serious note, as others have noted walking around a bit at regular intervals can help.  Say if you are flipping from texture shaded to Iray viewport and need to wait on the Iray viewport to resolve, might be a good time to take a mini stroll...

And I can not stress this enough.  Comfortable shoes.  For me, that ended up being boots with some foot pads, sneakers and my feet don't get along and for others YMMV, but at this point you should have a good idea of what shoes you are most comfortable in.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

For decades I supervised folks that did data entry and had to worry about ergo injuries. I agree that breaks are critical to releaving physical stress on your body, eyes, and brain. Depending on your issues, they might be broken up into 10-15 minutes, half hour, or two hour segments. Just depends. Find what works for you. But your desk should be correct for your body when sitting at it, so your body is at a neutral position. Then if you can add a vari-desk setup to it, that would allow for relief. My son likes his and misses his office one, now that he is working at home.

If you have stretches/exercises you are supposed to do, fit those into your breaks.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501

I think if I couldn't work standing up or sitting down, I'd try something like this:

Girl Lying in bed with laptop on stand.

This one looks similar to the one in the picture.