Surfaces still look different after Copy&Paste;

Hello,

I've been trying to copy surface parameters by using Edit -> Copy selected surfaces and then "Paste to selected surfaces" but the surfaces still don't look the same. What else do I need to check? The shader appears to be the same, at least by name... Confused.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,297
    edited December 1969

If the shader matches then copy and paste should be all that's needed - which shader is being used?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Can we have a screenshot of the surfaces you are trying to copy and the one you are pasting to. The only time I get this if the Surfaces are different shaders, i:e: Daz Studio Default, omnisurface (Uber Surface), AOA SSS shader base etc. You can also find the copy and paste commands in the surfaces pane by right click on the surface.

Copy_Surface1.jpg
    395 x 346 - 94K
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip.
    The shader is omUberSurface.

edited December 1969

are both shaders omUberSurface?

• edited December 1969

yes, they are.

Are there any shader parameters that I need to copy as well. as with the surfaces?

edited December 1969

No if both shaders are identical then it should work...I just tested it in DS 4.6.3.52 with no issues. This is why I asked for screenshots. ;)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947
    edited December 1969

Do, or did, the two material zones share the same maps (like the arms and legs of a V4 figure do)? If not you may get an obvious mismatch at the seams of the zone pasted to.

• edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Do, or did, the two material zones share the same maps (like the arms and legs of a V4 figure do)? If not you may get an obvious mismatch at the seams of the zone pasted to.

No, they actually don't share the same maps. But there is no mismatch at the seams either.

OK, I'll give it a few more tries and if nothing works, I'll attach some screenshots. Just thought it would be easy for you guys to tell me straight away what I'm doing wrong :)

edited December 1969

Yeah sometimes it is easy to help without a visual reference but in this case it isn't as it is working for us so there must be some else stopping it which doesn't come to mind immediately.

• DrazedyDrazedy Posts: 4

Make sure you expand and select all the surface options when you copy and paste, this issue took me forever to figure out. As long as your using the same shader it should work.

I have another question too though, how can I copy all the parameters without changing the textures? I always have to copy them over then change all the textures back to what they're supposed to be to get it to match. Is there an easier way to do this?

• Drazedy said:

Make sure you expand and select all the surface options when you copy and paste, this issue took me forever to figure out. As long as your using the same shader it should work.

I have another question too though, how can I copy all the parameters without changing the textures? I always have to copy them over then change all the textures back to what they're supposed to be to get it to match. Is there an easier way to do this?

You could go via a Shader Preset - either use the option menu in the dialogue to select Check Only>Values, or hold down the ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac) key while applying the preset and select Ignore for Maps.