Information regarding DIM

JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
edited October 2020 in New Users

Here is the situation. There are products in the store which do not include a manual download. I've resisted them all up to now, when a Plugin was released a week ago that is only available through DAZ Central or DIM. 

Plugins used to be available in installers which the user could download and run themselves, but it seems evident that the company has no intentionn of continuing this pactice.

Ergo; I need some information on the use of DIM. *It* at least, comes in a downloadable installer. 

FIrst off; I have every intention of using it to downoad, and if unavoidable, allowing it to install the Plugin -- which I have already purchased -- and then immediately de-installing DIM, because I do not want it on my machine.

It is not impossible that I may need to go through this again if something else gets released which I cannot access with a manual download. Or I might concievably find a need to try to run the Beta version of Studio, which is also not accessible to the public through manual download.

So. First question; does DIM come with an uninstaller. Most of the Plugins that I've purchased over the years do, but I'm not taking that for granted.

Second; I am assuming that you can choose only the items in your history which you *want* to download, rather than having to uncheck everything in order to limit it to only the items you want. Is this correct?

Third; is it possible to download a plugin to a place you designate, and install it yourself, or are they packaged in a manner that you have to use either DIM or DAZ Central to get them installed?

Thank you all. I may have other questions depending upon the answwers to these.

Post edited by JOdel on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    JOdel said:
    So. First question; does DIM come with an uninstaller. Most of the Plugins that I've purchased over the years do, but I'm not taking that for granted.

Yes

JOdel said:

Second; I am assuming that you can choose only the items in your history which you *want* to download, rather than having to uncheck everything in order to limit it to only the items you want. Is this correct?

Yes, everything is unselected until you select it.  Make sure to untick "Install after download" if you just want to download it.

JOdel said:

Third; is it possible to download a plugin to a place you designate, and install it yourself, or are they packaged in a manner that you have to use either DIM or DAZ Central to get them installed?

Yes, they're just .zip files.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

Excellent. That is a great relief. 

Thank you very much.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

When you run DIM for the first time check the Offline mode box so you can set the preferences to your liking.