*FREE* Halloween - Bates House from the movies Psycho and Bates Motel

Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
edited November 2020 in Freebies

Hello dear 3D friends, just in time for Halloween I have a freebie for you.

This is the Bates House, well known from several movies. It's ONLY the exterior of the house FOR NOW! I am still working on the interiors. The whole house is built modular. I will post updates from time to time. Next coming will be the interior.

You are allowed to use this model for any purpose. The only thing I am asking for, is to show me your final renders. Please post them here on this thread. I can't wait to see your artworks! :-)

UPDATE November 9, 2020 - Download V5 here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao1mDuQEVoFBgqNogOE66-qCFBpAtg?e=3HDzn1

Download and copy the folders on their proper locations.

Have fun! :-)

044.png
1080 x 1080 - 2M
043.png
1080 x 1080 - 2M
017.png
1080 x 1080 - 792K
014.png
1080 x 1080 - 1M
045.png
1080 x 1080 - 2M
046.png
1080 x 1080 - 2M
047.png
1080 x 1080 - 2M
048.png
1080 x 1080 - 2M
Post edited by Ralf1958 on

Comments

• 1gecko1gecko Posts: 307

Thank you! Looks good =)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    Ralf1958 said:

Hello dear 3D friends, just in time for Halloween I have a freebie for you.

This is the Bates House, well known from several movies. It's ONLY the exterior of the house FOR NOW! I am still working on the interiors. The whole house is built modular. I will post updates from time to time. Next coming will be the interior.

You are allowed to use this model for any purpose. The only thing I am asking for, is to show me your final renders. Please post them here on this thread. I can't wait to see your artworks! :-)

Just download, unzip and drop the folder "Bates House" (as it is) in your Props Folder or wherever you want, then drop the house in your scene and you are ready to go. :-)

Download here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao1mDuQEVoFBgpI8yhA0UobjGR2iDQ?e=mfMhAR

Have fun! :-)

That is fantastic, thanks for sharing it.  I find haunted interiors are hard to find i usually end up having to kit bash stuff   :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2020

The place looks great in the renders you shared. I downloaded the file - however, the house loads with a lot of missing file errors and the house loads without any textures applied. Where do we place the textures folder so that the textures load with the house?

I tried placing the textures file in the normal Daz Studio directory (Runtime >> Textures) but I still get missing file errors when the house is loaded onto the scene and it loads textureless.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited October 2020

The Bates House is looking for the Textures in: F:/Props/Bates House/Textures

Since I have a drive F: mounted, the "quick and dirty" fix is to put the textures there.

Edit: Thank you for sharing your Bates House Ralf! Great work!

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • The textures aren't loading right, looking for your location for them.

edited October 2020

I spent about half an hour manually adding all the textures and normal maps with the textures moved to Runtime >> Textures >> Bates House. I then made a Scene Subset with the house with the textures loaded from that location.

Can I share the new file structure and scene subset and post the link to it, @Ralf1958 or would you prefer I send it to you and you can distribute it if you want to? :) If you don't want me to share the files that's TOTALLY understandable and I'd completely understand if you wouldn't want me to. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited October 2020

The house is AWESOME! Here's a quick test render with it. 

I LOVE IT! It's SO cool! Thank you So Much for sharing it with us!

Let me know if I'm able to share the files with the new structure or if you prefer I didn't (I can send the files to you with the new structure if you want @Ralf1958 ). If you prefer I didn't share the files that's COMPLETELY understandable and I would totally understand. :)

Bates House.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 710K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,291

I don't have an outlook account and it won't let me download unless I have a password to an account.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited October 2020

Once I browsed for the first image it found the rest, says some missing but they are not

trying a few shots using the Albert house set

Bates1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Bates2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited October 2020
    3Diva said:

The place looks great in the renders you shared. I downloaded the file - however, the house loads with a lot of missing file errors and the house loads without any textures applied. Where do we place the textures folder so that the textures load with the house?

I tried placing the textures file in the normal Daz Studio directory (Runtime >> Textures) but I still get missing file errors when the house is loaded onto the scene and it loads textureless.

I knew something was wrong. I just needed to have someone giving me a feedback. On my computer it was working fine of course. Yes, please, send me the fixed version. :-)

What I usually do to fix the texture problem is, when it askes me about the missing textures, I click on locate and as soon as I link the first texture, all other textures are getting applyed as well automatically. And then I save as subset.

But, good to know this issue, thanks for the advice :-)

Post edited by Ralf1958 on

The textures aren't loading right, looking for your location for them.

I will fix the problem asap. :-)

I don't have an outlook account and it won't let me download unless I have a password to an account.

So far I know, anyone who has the link, can download. It's stored on Microsoft OneDrive. I am going to look for another storage location. Any suggestions?

ooops just realised I have floating rocking chair I missed blush

Once I browsed for the first image it found the rest, says some missing but they are not

trying a few shots using the Albert house set

WOW!!!! Look at those renders!!! Fabulous!!! :-)

UPDATE October 13, 2020 (Fixed missed textures message) Download V2 here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao1mDuQEVoFBgpJ6JdBEssspNxn3sw?e=tcMDxI

Please let me know if it's working or not. Thanks! :-)

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited October 2020

For those that wish to correct the issues associated with the file structure and textures, here's what to do. It really isn't hard and it probably took me longer to type up the instructions smiley. The approach I used deals with the issue(s) before placing the content in my library.

Step 1: Download the zip and extract the contents to a temporary location (not your content library).

Step 2: Re-organize the contents of the unzipped files a bit. The zip contains a folder named Bates house, but then has a subfolder named Textures in which all the texture maps are found. This is backwards to the way it should be, with the Textures folder first, then the Bates house folder containing the texture maps. This Textures folder may then be moved to your content library (whatever you are calling yours) under the Runtime folder where it will be merged with the existing Textures folder there.

Step3: We need to fix the absolute reference to the texture files on the creator's F: drive in the .duf file with a little editing. The Bates House.duf file we need to edit is compressed, so we need to uncompress it prior to editing - just right-click and extract it just as you would the contents of a .zip archive. The result will be a new file with the same name but without a file extension. Rename the original file Bates House.bak, then edit the new file's name by adding the .duf extension. We now have a uncompressed copy of the duf file that we can open and work with in a text editor.

Step 4: Open the newly uncompressed Bates House.duf file in your favourite text editor (one with a "find and replace" option). Since we have been told earlier that the .duf file is looking for the textures in F%3A/Props/Bates%20house/Textures according to Lindsey, we simply need to type that into the "Search" box of our text editor, and type the path to texture files we placed in our library in Step 2 into the "Replace" Box. In my case it would be D%3A/3DContent/Runtime/Textures/Bates%20house. Now let the search and replace do its thing and it will (in my case) find every reference to F%3A/Props/Bates%20house/Textures and replace each with D%3A/3DContent/Runtime/Textures/Bates%20house. When done save the corrected file.

Step 5: Drag and drop the corrected Bates House.duf file and its accompanying icon, Bates House.duf.png, into your content library wherever you like, although I put mine in  Environments/Architecture/Bates House. You could also put it in the Props folder. Doesn't really matter, your call.

Sounds a little complicated, but it really doesn't take long to do it - getting the syntax right as per step 4 is important, though. (i.e. D:/3DContent/Runtime/Textures/Bates house = D%3A/3DContent/Runtime/Textures/Bates%20house). Alternatively, instead of using an absolute path to the textures in your library as I have done, a more generic relative path could be used, such as /Runtime/Textures/Bates%20house, and DAZ Studio should be able to find them.

Oh, and by the way I almost forgot: thank you Ralf, for the very nice model!

Post edited by SixDs on

@SixDs - Thank you for this detailled explanation. Meanwhile I think I solved the problem with the latest update. I hope it works.

video

I forgot to add the opacity to the roof ridges in Twinmotion blush

video

How cool is this? What a great job! Never heard about Twinmotion before. What is it?

Ralf1958 said:

video

How cool is this? What a great job! Never heard about Twinmotion before. What is it?

it was free for a while when Epic games first bought it, it's an ArchVis renderer

because I grabbed the free version I got a free upgrade to the full paid version they released

It is built using Unreal 4 engine so renders very fast

Ralf1958 said:

video

it was free for a while when Epic games first bought it, it's an ArchVis renderer

because I grabbed the free version I got a free upgrade to the full paid version they released

It is built using Unreal 4 engine so renders very fast

Very nice! :-)

• I wonder if this could like a lovely house, in a none halloween way, the architecture of some of these old houses, is to die for never mind Alfred Hitchcocks story lines and Hollywoods tenacity to choose odd houses with lots of charm. Thank you for this beautiful house I hope my computer can do it justice.

@Rowanessque - You are welcome. I am glad you like it.

The interior (wich I am working on right now) is not so spooky as you can see in the picture. I will also bring an update with other exterior textures so the house can be also used for other purposes. :-)

Interior.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Ralf1958 said:

UPDATE October 13, 2020 (Fixed missed textures message) Download V2 here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao1mDuQEVoFBgpJ6JdBEssspNxn3sw?e=tcMDxI

Please let me know if it's working or not. Thanks! :-)

It works great! It loads without any missing file errors now. :D Thank you!

This house is SO COOL! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing hard work with us!

Ralf1958 said:

@Rowanessque - You are welcome. I am glad you like it.

The interior (wich I am working on right now) is not so spooky as you can see in the picture. I will also bring an update with other exterior textures so the house can be also used for other purposes. :-)

The interior is looking really good!

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,291

I managed to get the updated file, ran into the same problem again so tried a different browser and it worked. As for alternatives where you can upload and link for people to download, there's renderosity, sharecg and dropbox that I am the most familiar with. I know there are others, but other people will have to suggest those.

I managed to get the updated file, ran into the same problem again so tried a different browser and it worked. As for alternatives where you can upload and link for people to download, there's renderosity, sharecg and dropbox that I am the most familiar with. I know there are others, but other people will have to suggest those.

Thank you! I guess I will go for dropbox. :-)

• Thank you so much for this fabulous Bates house, very generous of you. The promos look amazing, I can't try it out for a while but I am looking forward to checking this out. Many thanks.

• eblankeblank Posts: 88

Thank you for this house.

coming_homeV2.jpg
    900 x 1273 - 164K
    eblank said:

Thank you for this house.

You are welcome! Great render! Where did you get that ghost from???

Just in case you didn't find out, there is a prop attached, called "Lights". Changing the emission values on the respective surfaces turns on or off the lights in the different rooms. Also front and rear door can be opened.