Question regarding IRay Server usage

Hello,

Until now I render everthing with my Mac Book pro, which takes some time. So, I made up my mind to build up a rendering PC with enough horse power. During my investigation for suitable hardware I stumbled over IRay server solutions. I've been thinging that I can combine my Mac Book pro with the new PC using this IRay Server, but I'm not sure if this realy works out. I'm planning a cenario were I setup my scence in Daz Studio using my Mac and send the stuff for rendering to the more powerfull PC which runs the IRay server. 

Is this possible to do this like I described above? Maybe someone here in the forum has some expierence with it. My internet research so far has only shown that I can rent rendering time on commercial IRay Servers, but I want to run my own private IRay server.

Kind regards,
Andre  

Comments

• KenYanoKenYano Posts: 83

I'm actually a Mac user who has been rendering with my 2017 iMac. I haven't heard of Iray server solutions. I'm planning to get a PC hopefully to work on my Daz stuff.

• That should work, though it's relatively expensive. A cheaper option, with the saem hardware, would be to install DS and the content on the Windows box and just have it do the rendering under its own steam (that would also let you close the Mac down, if desired, while the render was happening - which might be good if you wanted to take a break or the like).

• yupayupa Posts: 7

Thanks for the confirmation. It's not a cheap solution, but I imagine I can kick the rendering to the other PC and continue working in DAZ. If I'm happy with the result, I do the final render over night.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Iray server licenses aren't cheap.  To reliably have two systems share data, scene files, etc., you would need to set up shared storage.

Cost will depend on how often you render.  If you use a Mac and do one or two renders a week, using a pay-as-you-go solution like nimbix at a buck or two an hour would be a lot cheaper than setting up a dedicated machine with a decent Nvidia card, both in the long and short run.  

I will reconsider my idea and check nimbix in the meantime. Thanks for your thought on this, very helpful.

• Something like teamviewer or remote desktop could be used to do what Richard Suggested. Not sure how easy it is to setup shared storage between windows and mac. Its very easy to share storage between two windows computer on a home network.

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

I sometime use my MacBook Pro for setting up scenes etc. I have my working folders in Dropbox, so I just go to PC, open the scene which is automatically up to date with the DB and hit render.

It looks like many roads lead to Rome. Thanks for the good advices. I will consider what is best for me.