Lovecraft

PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
edited October 2020 in Art Studio

Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to DS and have never really posted any work before last month's new user challenge... I mainly render in order to supplement this nerdy role playing gaming I do with some old friends, but recently I've started to play around with trying to create some Lovecraftian imagery for my buddy who's even more obsessed with it than I am, so I wanted to finally start to get some feedback on my works from those who know about art and obviously more specifically Daz Studio created renders (and figured I'd try to attract any who might not be completely disgusted by the content via the disscussion title), for some criticism, suggestions, etc. if possible...

This first one, as far as content, is a bit of a mashup and more than anything determined by the assets I currently have at my disposal. Just one particular evening in the Church of the Esoteric Order of Dagon.

Post edited by Phatmartino on

Comments

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I love the rays of light, well done.yes

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,746

Wow, very cool!

• Thanks, guys! Had to turn off the limit and bake this for 50k iterations to have that window be the only source of light. I've been in the Stained Glass trade for 20 years and I've never and will never get to create anything like this in real life, so it's pretty fun to play around with in DS life!

• Phew! Made my SAN roll!

Great image, look forward to seeing more.

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited October 2020

Phew! Made my SAN roll!

Great image, look forward to seeing more.

Lol, nice!! Glad you're safe for now...

It's hilarious, I entered 2 lovecraft themed renders in last month's New User Challenge... Never had to think about titling my renders before and was going to call the one something like "Please roll a Sanity Check" or something, but figured no one would get it... I was wrong! :D Ended up calling it Sanity Lost, just knowing the guy failed for sure...

edited October 2020

Also, Cthulhu Rising was on sale this weekend, yay! Been waiting to get it... It'll take some work to make it usable and realistic looking, but couldn't wait to try and make my own version of the statue...

• Don't delete the attachment after linking to it for the in-line display.

edited October 2020

Don't delete the attachment after linking to it for the in-line display.

Ahh, thank's for pointing that out! I thought I read you could delete the attachment... Thank you so much for fixing 'em!!

• Don't delete the attachment after linking to it for the in-line display.

Ahh, thank's for pointing that out! I thought I read you could delete the attachment... Thank you so much for fixing 'em!!

I can't fix them - you are seeing the images still as they are in your cache, but you'd already deleted the attachments when I opened the thread so all I have is a blank rectangle.

• I can't fix them - you are seeing the images still as they are in your cache, but you'd already deleted the attachments when I opened the thread so all I have is a blank rectangle.

Ah, now I truly see... Apologies you had to waste the time posting here multiple times... Very appreciated though!

edited November 2020

Here's another scene I created in order to continue to plague the New User Challenges with Lovecraftian imagery while learning stuff from them...

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited November 2020

Cool dramatic lighting on that. Actually, you have a lot of well done lighting in this thread.

This also turned out nicely with the cast beams in the smoke/dust. Makes me want to play around with the Godrays again.

Post edited by Rakuda on
  • @Rakuda, hey thanks! That's great to hear because lighting really gives me a hard time, and to think any work of mine could even mildy inspire another to play around with something makes me really happy! :D

edited June 2021

I've tried a few times to make a character of Loveraft himself, my last attempt is maybe passable in some lighting from some angles... Just wanted to play around with it and threw a quick scene together...

I spent some time creating the pages of the book he's reading, then noticed how the Mesh of the Book must have a low poly count with the "faceted" curves of the pages. Anyone know if there's any way to fix that? I tried adding Smoothing and SubD and toying around with both separately with no luck in either direction...

Study 01b.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M