Blowing in the wind

marblemarble Posts: 7,449
edited September 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

How should I go about creating an animation of someone standing outside with a gown flapping in the wind? I've tried to keyframe it on the timeline with a wind node but I end up with just the final drape. What I want is the whole animated flapping effect over time (think Marilyn Monroe). So what I tried was to start with a normally draped gown then move along the timeline and add a wind node then move along again and also move the wind node, creating keyframes every 10 frames or so as I moved the wind node. All to no avail because I just ended up with the final drape in the final frame and no flapping at all in between.

Post edited by marble on

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Just guessing here, but you probably need to increase the wind speed a lot, and/or reduce the density and/or gravity effect (not at my computer so I can't  make sure these are the right names, but they should point you in the right direction) in the simulation settings. Dforce items from the store often have these set to greater values to help the clothing settle faster. Sometimes just increasing the wind speed will do it. Try something like 50mph and see if they move at all. If not, try reducing the other values in the simulation settings for the cloths.

Hope this helps!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    DustRider said:

Just guessing here, but you probably need to increase the wind speed a lot, and/or reduce the density and/or gravity effect (not at my computer so I can't  make sure these are the right names, but they should point you in the right direction) in the simulation settings. Dforce items from the store often have these set to greater values to help the clothing settle faster. Sometimes just increasing the wind speed will do it. Try something like 50mph and see if they move at all. If not, try reducing the other values in the simulation settings for the cloths.

Hope this helps!

It isn't that I can't get the wind effect (a drape that looks wind-blown). I can. But I only get a snapshot - I want an animation with the clothing moving, flapping about her legs during the animation.

• For really long animations, I find that something always goes wrong with the clothing when using dForce, espeically for long loose clothing items.  The VWD pluging gives better results.  Although it has its own problems, I find it easier to use than dForce.   It has a setting for creating wind turbulence.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited September 2020

For really long animations, I find that something always goes wrong with the clothing when using dForce, espeically for long loose clothing items.  The VWD pluging gives better results.  Although it has its own problems, I find it easier to use than dForce.   It has a setting for creating wind turbulence.

I bought VWD when it was first released and just couldn't get it to work without crashing. I had a long forum thread going at Rendo and personal help from the developer but we could not get to the bottom of the problem so he refunded my purchase eventually.

I'm really trying to figure out how to animate the wind effect on clothing - not how to animate figures wearing clothing. For example, a 5 second animation of a flag in a breeze.

I have managed to approximate the effect by using the wind morphs that come with some of the garments I have. That defeats the realism of using dForce, however, because the moment dForce simulation is started, the morph effect is lost. What VWD and Marvelous Designer have is a way of dragging the drape manually but this feature is lacking with dForce.

Post edited by marble on
  • i_fly_i_fly_ Posts: 3
    marble said:

How should I go about creating an animation of someone standing outside with a gown flapping in the wind? I've tried to keyframe it on the timeline with a wind node but I end up with just the final drape. What I want is the whole animated flapping effect over time (think Marilyn Monroe). So what I tried was to start with a normally draped gown then move along the timeline and add a wind node then move along again and also move the wind node, creating keyframes every 10 frames or so as I moved the wind node. All to no avail because I just ended up with the final drape in the final frame and no flapping at all in between.

Under the simulation tab, edit the "wind resistance" slider and uncheck the box for "use limits", then set a negative wind resistance value. -0.15 is a good place to start. Much more realistic wind flutter effect. Start with small wind values and slight negative resistance values. I also edit the surfaces of the things being simulated to zero out dampening effects.