2020 Fantasy Attic's Halloween Gifts

darkangel612darkangel612 Posts: 111
edited September 2020 in Freebies

Well folks I am so sorry it is so late to post this but you see.... being as graceful as I am....I fell down a month ago and fractured both elbows right at the end of the long bone. Painful doesn't cover it but it made me slower than usual...LOL

Anyway, our gift page will be here:

http://www.thefantasiesattic.net/halloween/2020/index.html

So tell one and all where to come get their goodies. We are still gathering them too  so any participants are welcome. All gifts will remain there until forever...LOL

Happy Halloween to all.

I forgot to mention that you may need to turn down your volume AND allow autoplay in your browser for the page....or just turn on the moosic.

Post edited by darkangel612 on

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thank you and get well soon! {{{careful hugs}}}

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

Well folks I am so sorry it is so late to post this but you see.... being as graceful as I am....I fell down a month ago and fractured both elbows right at the end of the long bone. Painful doesn't cover it but it made me slower than usual...LOL

Anyway, our gift page will be here:

http://www.thefantasiesattic.net/halloween/2020/index.html

So tell one and all where to come get their goodies. We are still gathering them too  so any participants are welcome. All gifts will remain there until forever...LOL

Happy Halloween to all.

I forgot to mention that you may need to turn down your volume AND allow autoplay in your browser for the page....or just turn on the moosic.

wow wishing you a speedy complete recovery and courage until then ~* (how are you even able to type?)

thanks a lot for the link ^^ and happy halloween <(^x^)>

Thank you to all the creators up to now!

@darkangel612 : seems the link to the "ask me anything" on the gift page leads to somewhere not a form.. but seems also you're the same darkangel who made the page, lol...

so, on the halloweeen calendar there are many gifts that can be downloaded immediately with a link to a zip (i guess the non-PA artists i.e. friends of the site?) BUT some links lead to the PAs pages with the gift as a product (with free written repeatedly), and from there, no direct zip link, just the possibility to put the gift in the cart. which means, even with a cart worth 0$, when you go thru the process, you're asked to log in. for this, you're asked to be registered.

i don't remember the calendar to be like this the previous years/holidays, everything was just directly downloadable with a zip link... innit?
    while i did occasionally dl freebies from the attic's calendars and freebie section, i'm not sure i ever was a member, i think not, tho maybe i was, i reckon i got watches from the DA page.. not sure, couldn't find any trace of me being there. anyways, do i really have to register just for the 1-2 freebies i might want, even i don't think i'll ever hang around there that much (i don't have that much $$ and i mainly find what i want here or rendo)? i hate spreading more data, having yet another PW etc...

• RainRain Posts: 335

Ouch!  Speedy recovery and......thanks!

@darkangel612 : seems the link to the "ask me anything" on the gift page leads to somewhere not a form.. but seems also you're the same darkangel who made the page, lol...

so, on the halloweeen calendar there are many gifts that can be downloaded immediately with a link to a zip (i guess the non-PA artists i.e. friends of the site?) BUT some links lead to the PAs pages with the gift as a product (with free written repeatedly), and from there, no direct zip link, just the possibility to put the gift in the cart. which means, even with a cart worth 0$, when you go thru the process, you're asked to log in. for this, you're asked to be registered.

i don't remember the calendar to be like this the previous years/holidays, everything was just directly downloadable with a zip link... innit?
    while i did occasionally dl freebies from the attic's calendars and freebie section, i'm not sure i ever was a member, i think not, tho maybe i was, i reckon i got watches from the DA page.. not sure, couldn't find any trace of me being there. anyways, do i really have to register just for the 1-2 freebies i might want, even i don't think i'll ever hang around there that much (i don't have that much $$ and i mainly find what i want here or rendo)? i hate spreading more data, having yet another PW etc...

It was like this before - maybe those freebies didn't interest you and you never hit those download links. Some are even limited time freebies, which revert to paid for items after a certain amount of time ...

Kerya said:

It was like this before - maybe those freebies didn't interest you and you never hit those download links. Some are even limited time freebies, which revert to paid for items after a certain amount of time ...

guess it's what it probably was, i never dl everything.

weird tho, now i'm thinking about it, what i'm wondering is why last year, i got those fantastic creepy backgrounds from Prae, who is a PA there - and no hint of a login nor anything, afaik simple zip dl, click, done.
    but this year i wanted to get the Devil's wire collar - also by Prae! - and bam, i landed on the product's page with the cart stuff going on... same PA.

still, issue remains... offering freebies for holidays is awesome, and i really appreciate the nice & fun gesture from the FA community, the creator of the calendar, as well as from every artist in particular. on the other hand, advertizing many times with "free", "call everyone", "come n' enjoy" etc, and then making half of the freebies (exactly those that are a bit more professional maybe) dependent on a login... why?

sure i can register, and it's prolly what i'll do if i'm dying to get some goodies anyways, but does that make much sense if i never go back afterwards (except for the next calendar)? like, last year i had to register at some german site - i don't even remember its name! - just for xmas freebies. and then i never set foot back there again, maybe until they give out stuff again this year or sth, if even.
    as for shopping, when i actually can afford anything at all, i barely manage to be able to buy my most wishlisted, "urgent" stuff here, sometimes when i'm stinky rich (like, yeah, 1x/year if some wonder happens?) maybe one of my most wishlisted from rendo (where my list is like here, miles long) or even more rarely rotica for special stuff or animal stuff from HW, and that's it. can't even dream of considering buying stuff from every single smaller 3d website/community part of the big 3d family, where they probably don't have anything i want anyways....

and as to the "community" part, i don't spend my time on forums (or social media) either, daz is pretty much the only forum i visit regularly now - basically when i have a question or a complaint, and occasionally when i come across some interesting post by chance while i'm asking/complaining - or very rarely rendo when sth's up. and for years i haven't visited BL stuff forums like aarin or livejournal etc any more, i'm quite outta the BL loop now, i mean if i want stuff i get it somewhere online but i don't see "my peeps" any more.. i'm on DA, but even there i cancelled a ton of watches and i'm totally stressed just keeping up (with a lot of delay) the contact with the 2-3 peeps i know a bit better, or answer faves/comments, or actually watch what i follow. it's time consuming, and i feel obligated, which stresses me even more. i think of cancelling my DA account just for that at least 10x/year, and i regularly deleted watch folders and some of my own deviations...
    i just prefer or have other things to do IRL, online or on my pc, that don't involve communicating with people, sth that i already avoid irl pretty much ~

Well - you have to register here if you want freebies, you have to register at Renderosity if you want freebies, you have to register at Sharecg if you want freebies ...

You don't have to buy anything at Rero or Sharecg ... I don't see the difference to Fantasiesattic, sorry. Apart from it being a much smaller store.

Kerya said:

Well - you have to register here if you want freebies, you have to register at Renderosity if you want freebies, you have to register at Sharecg if you want freebies ...

You don't have to buy anything at Rero or Sharecg ... I don't see the difference to Fantasiesattic, sorry. Apart from it being a much smaller store.

only difference being that i go to sharecg very often since it's only (well mostly, until they added the purchse thing) freebies, many of good quality and with new additions every day and also many 3D stuff. and on daz besides the fact that haha, i have to be registered if i actually want DS on my system anyways (or ask stuff in the DS specific forum), there are "necessary" base morphs, figures, addons specific to DS. and rendo is equivalent in terms of quality, variety, proportion of DS products, and yeah they have quality freebies too all year with new additions every day, plus i get reward points for every upload (gallery, freebies) too.

short, i KNOW that i will visit those sites often, and/or purchase * products regularly, and/or download freebies frequently, i.e. use & benefit from those sites on an almost daily basis (* buying stuff = registering for the use of a ccard).
    on the other hand, i also know that all those smaller sites and stores, i will practically visit them like... never. or at the max 1-2x/year when there are some holiday-based freebie events with a greater batch of stuff. and i will only dl a tiny fraction of those freebies, like 1-3 if even... now, if i actually shopped there, like i did at evilinnocence, ok, well then it's normal i have to register. but i usually just avoid all those sites where you have to register and use a cart just for freebies, since having my data is NOT necessary.
    and i was under the impression FA was different, that's why i jumped up & down this year... i was never confronted to the mandatory registration up to now there, otherwise i would just have skipped it like i do normally...

every time, every place i register, it's a potential leak of data, how vital depends on what i have to give as info. no servers are secure, and every company that pretends otherwise is a liar. so if it's a risk i take in exchange for a quasi daily use, great benefits and the possibility to purchase sth often, i can take that (a few years ago, i was majorly pissed off with what went down at rendo, and said so very loud there too). if it's just for the isolated random occasional freebie less than 3x/year (where, i repeat, my data isn't necessary - the immediate zips at FA are the proof of it), i'm not too keen on spreading my data...

ah well... seems saying anything critical when freebies are involved anywhere is like kicking a hornet's nest, it happens every time. the motto being be grateful and respectful and otherwise STFU because you ain't paying nothing, and if you don't like it then skip it and leave us in peace. but people jumping up & down for a ton of other "issues" and talking topics to the death is perfectly normal and accepted, when i sometimes just have to shake my head asking myself wtf - and move on.
    i think that communicating my critical opinion on something free and asking why a process isn't so amazing isn't a sin, but obviously i'm wrong, so mea culpa, i'm sorry, mianhae, orz, for believing in free speech AND free beer...

• kimhkimh Posts: 386

Healing thoughts sent for a speedy recovery. Thank you for this and all you do

I didn't attack you - I simply told you I don't understand the problem.

Kerya said:

I didn't attack you - I simply told you I don't understand the problem.

ah it's ok, i didn't interprete it as an "attack", no problem ^^ - it's just that while i REALLY am thankful and i recognize the work and care and generosity involved in sharing freebies, i noticed that every time i had some minor complaint about anything free, the standard attitude was "hey it's free, don't complain".

the problem is just that i don't like giving out personal data - even an email addy can generate more spam and threatening mails, and i'm not even going into credit card hijicking or identity theft. now, if i really use a site very often and get frequent/valuable benefits from it, i take this risk (well, if i purchase i don't have a choice anyways). but sharing my data just to get some rare freebies on a site where i otherwise never go, especially when half of the freebies are actually available just with a click on a zip file link, stresses me out. and sites where i never go and everything free demands a cart/registration, i just skip them from the start. and then, the flurry of passwords littering my mind or my "little paper notes" dump...

short: it ain't necessary, so why do it?

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295
    edited October 2020

manekiNeko, the people at Fantasy Attic went out of their way to provide these freebies, the one's you need to register for are because the store vendors are offering a product temporarily, as was mentioned, and also to promote themselves in the hopes you will see what else they have. In these hard times it's even harder for any vendor to count on the sales to help them through it. Both Daz and Renderosity have changed their methods of offering freebies over time, so why should it be any different for any other place. Yes you have said it's appreciated, I however don't see that appreciation if one complains in how it's offered, not once but in several long posts about what is wrong with that sites methods. If anyone is doing any attacking here, it's you. You have three options here, don't register and lose out on those particular freebies, register and get the freebies, create an email specifially for sites you don't want to give personal information on. It's very handy for sites you don't visit often. Simple and does not require long drawn out posts about what you think is wrong with any sites methods of operation. The only way to protect yourself from data theft and other things is don't use credit cards and bank cards, don't use the internet period and don't use GPS.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

manekiNeko, the people at Fantasy Attic went out of their way to provide these freebies, the one's you need to register for are because the store vendors are offering a product temporarily, as was mentioned, and also to promote themselves in the hopes you will see what else they have. In these hard times it's even harder for any vendor to count on the sales to help them through it. Both Daz and Renderosity have changed their methods of offering freebies over time, so why should it be any different for any other place. Yes you have said it's appreciated, I however don't see that appreciation if one complains in how it's offered, not once but in several long posts about what is wrong with that sites methods. If anyone is doing any attacking here, it's you. You have three options here, don't register and lose out on those particular freebies, register and get the freebies, create an email specifially for sites you don't want to give personal information on. It's very handy for sites you don't visit often. Simple and does not require long drawn out posts about what you think is wrong with any sites methods of operation. The only way to protect yourself from data theft and other things is don't use credit cards and bank cards, don't use the internet period and don't use GPS.

i write long posts trying to be explicative... or making a point. i don't even know. just answering when someone answers or sth.
    ok now i know why this/these particular items are on the vendor's site - temp freebie. thx for explaining.
    so, i'll leave whichever shops manage whatever they want however they want, and just skip whatever i don't like, simple. why do i even get my boxers in a twist, srsly.
    and it's very true, the best way to avoid data theft is not to use any electronic device at all. back to the dark ages. might happen anyways, if certain people end up doing what they've been talking about for a while...
    so, sorry for the disturbance. i'm out - unbookmarking this thread, won't even know if anyone answers. i should delete all my comments above and leave the page clean and happy as it was before i smeared my bad vibes all over it, but it's like trying to hide what i said somehow... still, i'm tempted...

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295

Sorry if I seem off putting, don't mean to, I jumped the gun. I understand your reasons for being careful. I've had my bank hacked twice and been stalked on line a few times, I know all about wanting to be careful. Everyone should be careful. I hope you will feel fondly of Fantasy Attic, they are good people, been with them 10 years, they are great at helping people use the various programs.

As for heading to the dark ages...ya it's scary out there, particlary in the US. I'm lucky to be in Canada and on an island, we don't get most of the stuff happening in the US and even in most of Canada.  In the meantime...Happy Halloween

Thank you to everybody who gave freebies! smileyheart

• Finally grabbed the last one and Thank You everyone.

while i seem to be an eterneal nagger, lol, i can be thankful too. i still managed to get 1 freebie i really liked (and just a zip, haha) from CathyY, the cool creepy jack. so thanks a lot CathyY since i couldn't say it there.

• LOL ya that jack was something else.

LOL ya that jack was something else.

well now you know what "jacked" means... XDDD