DS Render are black with use of new 3080 graphics card.

PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
edited September 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz Studio does see the card but soon after I hit render the render window goes black.

I can see in the render Advanced settings that it says 0 CUDA.

I used GeForce Experience to download the latest driver for the 30 series and chose the Studio version.

Any Idea what the problem could be?

Petra

new card.JPG
688 x 1020 - 62K
new card 2.JPG
1630 x 1160 - 66K
Post edited by Petra on

Comments

• Although patch notes indicate the correct version of Iray (2020.1.0) has been implemented for these cards, that version of daz studio is not yet available to us (no public build yet).

• And does the Octane render work or not?
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Don't you have to be using the DAZ Studio Pro Public Beta 4.12.2.6 for the 2020.1.0 iRay version?

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Thank you for your replies.

I do not use Octane so I would not know if that is working.

I had downloaded the public beta and still no luck.

Right now I put my 980ti back in until I know Daz Studio will work.

• Don't you have to be using the DAZ Studio Pro Public Beta 4.12.2.6 for the 2020.1.0 iRay version?

I made this mistake initially, the current version of the public beta uses Iray 2020.0.1 and not 2020.1.0 which is in the private channel according to the change log, so not yet available to us.

Don't you have to be using the DAZ Studio Pro Public Beta 4.12.2.6 for the 2020.1.0 iRay version?

I made this mistake initially, the current version of the public beta uses Iray 2020.0.1 and not 2020.1.0 which is in the private channel according to the change log, so not yet available to us.

I shall be waiting patiently :)

I am just glad I have the card here and can use as soon as we can.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Blender works I understand; still haven't bought a 3000 series to test, even though I render in blender.

• JB007JB007 Posts: 98

Daz need to pull their fingers out and get the new Iray build into the public release as soon as possible. Public build. Not sitting in the beta for another 6 months. A lot of people don't use the Beta for obvious reasons.

If people are spending $700 or, as from yesterday, $1500 for a GPU then they want to use it - certainly if they've got rid of their previous PC / GPU. For some people it's to do with their livelihood.. whether PAs or people doing commission work .. and all they are left doing is twiddling their thumbs waiting on Daz while an expensive GPU sits there doing nothing. 

I'm fortunate that I'm waiting for 6 weeks or so because I'm waiting for the new Ryzen CPUs and seeing when / if the 20gb 3080 is going to arrive before building a new PC .. but it needs sorting out. But I'm not confident it will be even in 6 or 8 weeks or so.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029
    edited September 2020

For the record, "Public build" is the beta...

And sorry, but Daz is not responsible for the fact that people chose to buy a new card when they knew it wasn't supported.

Daz is working on integrating the newest Iray build in DS, we can see it in the change log. There's way more into that build than just 30xx cards support tough, so it may not be that simple. Rushing to release a half-working version is in no one's interest.

Post edited by Leana on
    edited September 2020

Leana : I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Daz IS responsible for integrating the latest version of their primary rendering engine as soon as possible.

They've had iray 2020.1 since whenever they had it - it's in the Private Build .. on day 1 of the 3080 release - it should have been incorporated in the beta and then patched everyday until it's working as expected if needed. If Daz are going to twiddle their thumbs then people are going to move away from Daz to render with .. with the latest bridges - more and more people are exporting to Blender as it is (which can use Ampere from day 1) .. 

Can you imagine a games company saying "Nah, you'll have to wait 3 months before you can use your new snazzy card in our game .. it's not our fault you upgraded".

Daz uses Iray. They "force" us to use Iray and an NVIDIA card. It's THEIR responsibility to keep it up to date. Not for people to put off upgrading their GPUs until Daz catches up.

Post edited by JB007 on
  • Iray does not force you to use a GPU - the CPU is an option - so it isn't as if this is absolutely blocking. Still, I'm sure Daz will aim to get this released as soon as they can - but I would be wary of assuming they had a bunch of Ampere pre-release cards for testing to go with the new version of Iray.

First of all, I am very grateful that Daz Studio is free and, saying that, I do not at all mind waiting until I can use my new graphics card.

I did not intend to put blame on Daz3d, I simply asked a question.

For now, I have put my Nvidia Gforce GTX 980ti back in and I am fine with that.

I am confident that, in time, the new card can be used :)

edited September 2020

Richard : Daz is about Iray. We can also use a crayon to do pictures also but it's not advised. For the foreseeable future Daz is Iray and NVIDIA first and foremost and let's not pretend otherwise. People shouldn't spend $1500 on a NVIDIA GPU and have to resort to using CPU in the NVIDIA Iray powered Daz because Daz can't keep things up to date.

Iray 2020.1 was sent out 4 weeks ago? 5? 6? 

So test Iray 2020.1 with Maxwell / Pascal / Turing cards .. if it works with those older cards (Spoiler alert : NVIDIA already tested it) .. then include 2020.1 in the Beta on day 1 of the 3080 release.

Let new Ampere owners use it for a couple of weeks (so both 3080 and 3090 users) ... if it works .. get it in the live build. If not. Patch and repeat. If it doesn't work with Ampere - then the new GPU owners are in no different position than what they are today anyway. Yet things will have moved on and Daz will have live data to work with from the Beta build.

But given we've had 4.12.2.6 Beta for 6 months - it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, is it?

Post edited by JB007 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029
    JB007 said:
    Can you imagine a games company saying "Nah, you'll have to wait 3 months before you can use your new snazzy card in our game .. it's not our fault you upgraded".

Actually, I can, because they totally have in the past...

• Maybe they are waiting something or fix alot of bugs to jump to version 4.14 .

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474
    Leana said:
    JB007 said:

+1

Being in the frontline does have consequences and not all of them are positive. Letting the others do the testing not only makes you life easier, it may save you some money as well.

Leana said:
    JB007 said:

Behave!! .. Real Time raytracing is FAR more complex than the ray-tracing we're used to in Daz and older games using real time ray-tracing work fine on day 1 with the new Ampere GPUs. They work either right out of the box, with a day 1 patch or with NVIDIA game drivers. The reason for that is because of pre-planning - the game developers know new graphics cards are coming and they have things ready and in place on day 1 and that's even if anything new is needed and is necessary. 

Iray 2020.1 could have been a day 1 patch into the Beta and then the let Beta user do what they do. Beta test.

Now as I said above : it's not something that effects me - I won't be getting my new build for 8 - 10 weeks .. but, even after that amount of time, I'm still not overly confident. I hope I'm wrong.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited September 2020
    JB007 said:

Daz need to pull their fingers out and get the new Iray build into the public release as soon as possible. Public build. Not sitting in the beta for another 6 months. A lot of people don't use the Beta for obvious reasons.

If people are spending $700 or, as from yesterday, $1500 for a GPU then they want to use it - certainly if they've got rid of their previous PC / GPU. For some people it's to do with their livelihood.. whether PAs or people doing commission work .. and all they are left doing is twiddling their thumbs waiting on Daz while an expensive GPU sits there doing nothing. 

I'm fortunate that I'm waiting for 6 weeks or so because I'm waiting for the new Ryzen CPUs and seeing when / if the 20gb 3080 is going to arrive before building a new PC .. but it needs sorting out. But I'm not confident it will be even in 6 or 8 weeks or so.

Then they should make sure Studio (or whatever they use) supports it before making said investment.

JB007 said:
    Leana said:
    JB007 said:

Behave!! .. Real Time raytracing is FAR more complex than the ray-tracing we're used to in Daz and older games using real time ray-tracing work fine on day 1 with the new Ampere GPUs. They work either right out of the box, with a day 1 patch or with NVIDIA game drivers. The reason for that is because of pre-planning - the game developers know new graphics cards are coming and they have things ready and in place on day 1 and that's even if anything new is needed and is necessary. 

Iray 2020.1 could have been a day 1 patch into the Beta and then the let Beta user do what they do. Beta test.

Now as I said above : it's not something that effects me - I won't be getting my new build for 8 - 10 weeks .. but, even after that amount of time, I'm still not overly confident. I hope I'm wrong.

Just like folks should not just rely on Nvidia's assurance about PSU, folks have a responsibility to ensure that their system will work with the current release of Studio. Daz has in the past released updates very promptly once they were available.

I do, however, feel Daz should make it clear that Studio does not currently support 3000 series cards; I don't see why they should state when that support will arrive, but it would be nice if they could give us an idea of the time-frame.

Post edited by nicstt on
    nicstt said:
    JB007 said:

Then they should make sure Studio (or whatever they use) supports it before making said investment.

Round and round. Already answered that one.

Or how abouts .... Daz should ensure its bread and butter Iray is up to date - the new Iray version they've had for a while now - instead of messing about trying to incorporate things like Google Filaments?? You know, spend time making sure the things they currently have is up to date and usable instead of trying to shoe-horn something else in?

Not only are people dropping $800 or $1500 on a new card - but people are also waiting for benchmarks .. do I get a 3080? Do i get a 3090? What's the memory usage like? Should i wait for the rumoured 3080 20gb? Will a 3070 be good? Or should i wait till the new year for the 3060? Or .. will my 2080 still be good for another year?

Who knows? But maybe we'll get Google Filaments in a new update instead .. 

Just seems to me the planning or priorities are all over the place .. 

edited September 2020
    nicstt said:
    JB007 said:

I don't see why they should state when that support will arrive, but it would be nice if they could give us an idea of the time-frame.

We agree on that point at least .. people are either waiting to use the new cards or wanting to be informed with benchmarks so they can decide what card to buy .. 

Post edited by JB007 on
  • Since the original post has been answered and the duscussion is just going in circles the thread has been locked.

This discussion has been closed.