Problem with Erik HD G8M and Erik HD for Lee 8

vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822
edited September 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

Just a friendly warning:

Anyone who has both the newer Erik HD for Genesis 8 Male and Erik HD for Lee 8, be aware. Some Erik G8M files in the Characters directory may overwrite files for Erik for Lee 8, and vice versa, depending on installation sequence. This is probably only an issue for DIM/manual installation (and possibly, but not definitely, Daz Central installation). Connect installs into SKU numbered directories, as I recall, so they may or may not be separate from each other when installed that way. Daz Central reportedly shares some of the same foundations as DIM, so it may be an issue there; I don't use Central, so I don't have any way to find out.

The main slider for both characters is just called "Erik", so if you have "Consolidate Properties" active, they will combine, because Studio has no way to tell identically named sliders apart.

The default character directory for both is also just called "Erik" (/People/Genesis 8 Male/Characters/Erik/), so those two directories combine on installation as well.

I wound up having to delete and reinstall the front-facing files and directories for both characters, renamed so that they wouldn't combine this way.

In all seriousness, it seems at this late stage of G8, with no immediate sign that G9 is nigh, for characters, the first step in QC should be to see if the name has already been used this generation. If it has, the character should be sent back to the PA, with a note saying, "Sorry, but you need to rename this character to prevent conflicts." Ideally with a checklist of things the vendor would need to fix. This would keep installations from overwriting each other, and it would also prevent Combine Properties from combining similarly named sliders from different characters.

Post edited by vwrangler on

Comments