Can't use Daz Studio 4.12 on Windows 10

Hello all,

I got a new PC last week after 6 years, and to my dismay I can't use Daz Studio (4.12) on it. I've gone through all Windows Vista/7/8 compatibility options and each time, as soon as I sign in with my Daz Connect account it quits to desktop. If I select Work Offline I can use Daz Studio for maybe 5 minutes or about 3 fairly basic tasks like loading a figure, changing a material or trying to apply a preset pose, but then it will still quit to desktop without warning. Iray rendering on default settings seems fine.

I'll probably put in a tech support ticket for this, but I wondered if any of you guys might have any ideas I could try (you seem like a very knowledgeable community smiley).

Here are the specs of my PC that can't cope with Daz Studio:

Processor: Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz     1.50GHz

RAM: 16GB

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 4GB VRAM

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home version 2004

And here are the specs of my old computer that ran Daz Studio fine:

Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz   2.40GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00Gb
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 8.1
AMD Radeon R7 M260

Can anyone see where the problem is? Thanks for reading smiley

Comments

• Maybe change your Nvidia configuration in GeForce Experience from gaming to studio?

• I'm using D/S 4.12 on W10.

Update NVidia's drivers [studio] from their website. Microsoft updates tends to change them to a generic which doesn't work as well.

I do not have D/S automatically calling home checking for updates, nor signing in to my account. I open D/S way too many times a day for that to be necessary ;-)

• Thanks both of you for your help laugh I made sure I'm using the latest Studio driver but it didn't seem to fix the problem. I then tried to switch from Nvidia to the laptop's integrated graphics, but that didn't help either. Time to speak to tech support I guess!

• You may want to check the logs for DAZ Studio, it can be found under the name C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt.

I got DAZ Studio to run with wine64 on Linux.  If it is related to the DB connection or display driver, I may be able to help by checking your logs.

• amy_aimei said:

You may want to check the logs for DAZ Studio, it can be found under the name C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt.

I got DAZ Studio to run with wine64 on Linux.  If it is related to the DB connection or display driver, I may be able to help by checking your logs.

Thank you, I would appreciate that! I found log.txt but I have very little idea of what it's talking about blush

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    2M
  • mj_odowd said:

Thank you, I would appreciate that! I found log.txt but I have very little idea of what it's talking about blush

I checked your logs, there is no normal termination of the DAZ Studio.  The database connection is fine, the display driver is fine too.  I noticed there is an error, "Error writing author data."  You may want to check if the your user can write to the Windows Registry.
    From observation, I guess the time associates to the line above the line with the text "DAZ Studio 4.12.1.118 starting" is very close to the time that DAZ Studio terminated abnormally.  You may check the Windows event logs and find out if there is any issue at the system around that time.

• amy_aimei said:
    mj_odowd said:

I checked your logs, there is no normal termination of the DAZ Studio.  The database connection is fine, the display driver is fine too.  I noticed there is an error, "Error writing author data."  You may want to check if the your user can write to the Windows Registry.
    From observation, I guess the time associates to the line above the line with the text "DAZ Studio 4.12.1.118 starting" is very close to the time that DAZ Studio terminated abnormally.  You may check the Windows event logs and find out if there is any issue at the system around that time.

Thank you very much! laugh

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474
    edited September 2020

According to the log, the last time DS started "successfully", it gave this warning "WARNING: 0:1: '' :  #version directive missing", which points to problem with OpenGL
    The next time, the startup script doesn't even get that far, but ends right after "Started in:" and the startup procedure never completes the last eight rows of the log.

Based on your processor specs, do you also have integrated Intel Graphics onboard? If that is not disabled everywhere, starting from the bios, W10 can invent a lot of funny stuff with it... Too bad you cannot use a sledgehammer to get rid of it (the Intel Graphics, or why not W10 as wellwink)

2020-09-21 19:12:06.793 Executing startup script...
    2020-09-21 19:12:06.852 Started in: C:/Daz 3D/Applications/64-bit/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
    2020-09-21 19:12:06.857 DAZ Studio Started
    2020-09-21 19:12:06.857 Creating Pixel Buffer
    2020-09-21 19:12:07.037 Pixel buffer - Width: 1024 Height: 1024
    2020-09-21 19:12:07.038 Compiling OpenGL Shader...
    2020-09-21 19:12:07.052 Fragment Shader:
    WARNING: 0:1: '' :  #version directive missing

Fragment Shader compiled successfully.
    Linking Shader:
    Shader Program successfully linked.

Make sure you have disabled the Intel Graphics everywhere - remove whatever drivers are loaded for it, Remove it from Display adapters in Device Manager, Disable it in Bios and update the drivers for your Nvidia GPU.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030

Before completely disabling the integrated GPU, try simply telling DS to use the nvidia GPU. You can do that in nvidia control panel and/or in Windows 10 settings.

• Thanks both! I will give these a try too (last time, i actually took the embarrassing step of telling DS not to use the nvidia graphics because I was running out of ideas blushlaugh). I do have Intel onboard graphics as well. I knew conflicts can happen but I have never heard of completely disabling integrated graphics before.

• Ok, I disabled the Intel Iris integrated graphics in Device Manager, restarted and DS will not load, saying my machine only has OpenGL 1.1 instead of 1.3. Maybe we're getting somewhere now! I will try the opposite step of disabling the Nvidia graphics too.

(Sorry for double posting - I'll edit this comment next time if I have an update)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474
    edited September 2020
    mj_odowd said:

Ok, I disabled the Intel Iris integrated graphics in Device Manager, restarted and DS will not load, saying my machine only has OpenGL 1.1 instead of 1.3. Maybe we're getting somewhere now! I will try the opposite step of disabling the Nvidia graphics too.

(Sorry for double posting - I'll edit this comment next time if I have an update)

Remember, you have also someone else meddling with your computer... The W10 which have a tendency for "correcting" things and "fixing" things that are not broken... That is one reason for my comment for installing new drivers for the Nvidia GPU - Get them from the Official Nvidia site, do not trust W10 to find and install proper ones.

Integrated graphics in systems they are not used, have been an endless source of problems ever since they were introduced. Disabling them in bios minimises the problems, but that is the reason I never buy motherboards that do have them.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030
    mj_odowd said:

Ok, I disabled the Intel Iris integrated graphics in Device Manager, restarted and DS will not load, saying my machine only has OpenGL 1.1 instead of 1.3. Maybe we're getting somewhere now! 

Sounds like what you would get if the nvidia GPU had drivers from Microsoft. Try installing the latest drivers from nvidia's site.

• I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong with all the driver updating, I was updating from the websites, using the Studio version for Nvidia, and not seeing any difference. But I think I've found the problem now - monitor.sys is dated 21st June 2006! surprisesurprise

I find it hard to believe that no-one has written an updated version of this in 14 years, so I'm going to track it down and install it and hopefully then I'll have some good luck!

Thanks again to everyone for helping laugh

• monitor.sys is a Windows file, so don't download a copy from elsewhere as it may be malware.

• mj_odowd said:

I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong with all the driver updating, I was updating from the websites, using the Studio version for Nvidia, and not seeing any difference. But I think I've found the problem now - monitor.sys is dated 21st June 2006! surprisesurprise

I find it hard to believe that no-one has written an updated version of this in 14 years, so I'm going to track it down and install it and hopefully then I'll have some good luck!

Thanks again to everyone for helping laugh

You can try to fix the Windows system files problem with the instructions provided by Microsoft at https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

• Hi all, I fixed the OpenGL issue by installing the Mesa3D library as outlined here: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Platform_specifics:_Windows#Installing_Mesa3D_on_Windows (replacing the Generic PnP Monitor driver was much, much easier said than done hahaha)

This didn't solve my original reliability issue (I'm still working on that), but I thought I would share it here for any future DS noob who comes across this thread and has a similar problem :)

• FIXED: I uninstalled the 64-bit version of Daz Studio and replaced it with the 32-bit one.

It means I no longer have the option of rendering with Iray, but at least DS works now.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me find a solution smiley

• That sounds as if there was a corrupt file in your DS 64 install which wasn't being cleared by uninstalling - it might be worth making sure it's full uninstalled (the application folder is entirely gone) and then reinstalling.

• MarcCCTx said:

Maybe change your Nvidia configuration in GeForce Experience from gaming to studio?

Hi, where in the Geoforce experience does one specify so?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited September 2020
    MarcCCTx said:

Maybe change your Nvidia configuration in GeForce Experience from gaming to studio?

by those 3 little dots drop down menu ;-)

where to choose.png
    1198 x 405 - 213K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • MarcCCTx said:

Thanks. After a lot of confusion I found that my Geoforce experience does not provide that 3 dots. I have an alienware with GTX 980M card and there are no studio drivers for that :)

Anyways, it maybe useful or reference to other people facing driver problems so I share some problems i have faced in the past months. ANd my attempts to solve with limited knowledge. Had Daz 4.12 all this while.

1. Sometime back DAZ started crashing if I had 2 or 3 figures in the screen.

2. i found out that one should update our drivers and people do it via Nvidia directly. So I did. And things seemed to be smooth, until DAZ crashed giving the OpenGL error.

3. I read that this is probably could have something to do with outdated Intel driver, so update them. So, well I updated them.

4. While that happened my Nvidia Card no longer could be detected. And I followed instrucitons to unistall it from device manager and then reboot and then update the drivers.

5. I tried to do that and this time the nvidia card was not detected at all. Not even under hidden devices.

6. Now, i read and read and found that I need to update my bios if not done already. {I seem to have opted out for automatic updates.] And this flashing the bios is best done through the Dell support Assist software.

7. So I ran Dell Support ASsist and it updated the bios a few times before updating it to the latest version.

8. thereon the card was detected and Daz started running. But soon it would again crash with any scene with say 3 figures. And again give the OPenGL error. But this time if I rebooted the system, Daz would start again.

9. However, this was a pain. And then I hit upon MarkCCtx post above. And it struck me that there is something called studio drivers...and after much search found that there is none available for Geoforce GTX 980M. However, Geoforce experience would offer the latest game drivers which i had updated. After some more search it seemed that these drivers are probably no good for softwares like DAZ and could cause issues.

10. So I reverted to the driver which Dell recommends which is from 2019. And for now things are fine. :) I hope

• Hi mojoturnip, I have a standard answer to DAZ Studio crash problems which don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

Firstly I am successfully using DAZ Studio 4.12 on Windows 10. I have some problems with delay in loading figures etc., but that's a different matter. I certainly do not have DAZ Studio bombing out all the time. Crashes are very infrequent, and are usually because I have really challenged the system in some way, by doing odd things.

My system is somewhat similar to yours:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

RAM: 16GB

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Professional version 2004

Now, my suggestions involve doing the opposite of what has been most of the time above, but they use some DAZ Studio checkboxes that I have found extremely useful, and at least one other person too.

On the Render Settings tab or pane, there is an Advanced subtab that you select at the top.

On this, there are 2 sections (Photoreal Mode and Interactive Mode), each of which normally has a pair of checkboxes, one for CPU, and one with the name of your graphics card.

My graphics card checkboxes (each below the CPU checkboxes) have the text "CUDA 0 - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (WDDM - Display)"

Yours will probably look similar. Of course if you have uninstalled too many drivers, you might only have one of these checkboxes per section!

I always keep these checkboxes set to this: The CPU checkbox switched OFF, and the graphics card checkbox switched ON.

The specific problem this helped me with, was to make my slow renders much faster by forcing the graphics card to be used for renders where possible, instead of the CPU. This ought to happen by default in theory, but was not happening. Doing these settings made it happen, at least for many renders.

(You could of course try the checkboxes the other way round, if you want to avoid using the graphics card. This probably avoids the need to uninstall drivers!)

Someone else found my advice about these checkboxes helpful, and I think he was having a lot more crashes than me.

Thi is why I think it might possibly help you. (I have another suggestion below if not.)

If you can experiment with these checkboxes, then do please try, and see if it helps. That is, with the 64-bit version of DAZ Studio.

Each of the other 3 checkboxes at the bottom has a different meaning. (I haven't tried CPU Thread Affinity checkbox, as I don't know what it does!)

The 1st one of these 3 checkboxes claims to stop renders from falling back to using the CPU if they won't work in the GPU, e.g. they use too much GPU memory. (See Tip 1 below, you would need to open the Tips section.) I'm not sure if this checkbox has any effect, you could try it.

I guess the 2nd one needs to be on to detect your GPU!

And the 3rd one says it will check your GPU driver version, not sure what result this has.

Now my other thought. You say that the problem occurs when you sign in with your Daz Connect account (or, I guess, simply your Daz account).

This sounds very odd. It almost sounds as if the crash happens either when DAZ Studio starts using its CMS database in earnest, or maybe when it starts using the internet. These could have causes quite different from anything that has been mentioned so far, and quite possibly nothing to do with the graphics card. For example, maybe something about the internet connectivity (or conceivably the PostgreSQL CMS database) doesn't like the fact that DAZ Studio is working as 64-bit.

(Does your DAZ Install Manager work OK? I don't remember you mentioning this. Many DIM installs are 32-bit, I deliberately downloaded the 64-bit version (more difficult to find on the website!) to try to make this work best with my 64-bit DAZ Studio. But if you have the 32-bit DIM then maybe it does not have problems, just as your 32-bit DAZ Studio does not, again maybe pointing to something about the 64-bit app(s).)

Going back to the connectivity or database issues, these things make me think that DAZ Support could help. Have you tried them? If so, did you get an answer back yet? "Poke" them if not!! (Add a reply or re-post.) They have been very helpful to me at times, although initial response from Tech Support is a lot slower than for Sales Support. You could even put in a request to Sales Support and ask them to refer it to Tech Support, in case this speeds things up! They know a lot about things that we might not even have considered yet.

I hope some of this helps, mojoturnip !

Best wishes, Trevor

• MarcCCTx said:

Thanks. After a lot of confusion I found that my Geoforce experience does not provide that 3 dots. I have an alienware with GTX 980M card and there are no studio drivers for that :)

Anyways, it maybe useful or reference to other people facing driver problems so I share some problems i have faced in the past months. ANd my attempts to solve with limited knowledge. Had Daz 4.12 all this while.

1. Sometime back DAZ started crashing if I had 2 or 3 figures in the screen.

2. i found out that one should update our drivers and people do it via Nvidia directly. So I did. And things seemed to be smooth, until DAZ crashed giving the OpenGL error.

3. I read that this is probably could have something to do with outdated Intel driver, so update them. So, well I updated them.

4. While that happened my Nvidia Card no longer could be detected. And I followed instrucitons to unistall it from device manager and then reboot and then update the drivers.

5. I tried to do that and this time the nvidia card was not detected at all. Not even under hidden devices.

6. Now, i read and read and found that I need to update my bios if not done already. {I seem to have opted out for automatic updates.] And this flashing the bios is best done through the Dell support Assist software.

7. So I ran Dell Support ASsist and it updated the bios a few times before updating it to the latest version.

8. thereon the card was detected and Daz started running. But soon it would again crash with any scene with say 3 figures. And again give the OPenGL error. But this time if I rebooted the system, Daz would start again.

9. However, this was a pain. And then I hit upon MarkCCtx post above. And it struck me that there is something called studio drivers...and after much search found that there is none available for Geoforce GTX 980M. However, Geoforce experience would offer the latest game drivers which i had updated. After some more search it seemed that these drivers are probably no good for softwares like DAZ and could cause issues.

10. So I reverted to the driver which Dell recommends which is from 2019. And for now things are fine. :) I hope

As the goal is to get things working - however that was achieved, great! :-)

• mojoturnip said:

Hi all, I fixed the OpenGL issue by installing the Mesa3D library as outlined here: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Platform_specifics:_Windows#Installing_Mesa3D_on_Windows (replacing the Generic PnP Monitor driver was much, much easier said than done hahaha)

This didn't solve my original reliability issue (I'm still working on that), but I thought I would share it here for any future DS noob who comes across this thread and has a similar problem :)

I have an OpenGL problem and am wondering if Mesa coupld fix it but don't know what or where to download. 

• ichsanbhrdichsanbhrd Posts: 0

Maybe you must change your HDD to SSD, than change nvidia prog to studio. Your processor lower than your old laptop.