Khalan Figure question

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638
edited September 2020 in The Commons

https://www.daz3d.com/khalan-character-and-hair-for-genesis-8-male

I purchased this new character today, but I'm confused as to why there are two different figures.

They look the same as far as the thumbnails... is there a difference?

1. genesis 8 male/characters/khalan.duf
2. genesis 8 male/characters/matari3d/khalan/khalan.duf

What is "matari3d" referring to in the filename path?

Screenshot (609).jpg
404 x 404 - 100K
Post edited by vonHobo on

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

It's the PA's name.

There's been a lot of installation/metadata errors recently, as evidenced by the threads elsewhere. Looks like the installer put a copy of the DUF file in both the root character directory and (correctly) in the PA's folder.

I'd say open a ticket, though other people say they've put tickets in for similar errors and haven't heard anything for weeks.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638
    margrave said:

It's the PA's name.

There's been a lot of installation/metadata errors recently, as evidenced by the threads elsewhere. Looks like the installer put a copy of the DUF file in both the root character directory and (correctly) in the PA's folder.

I'd say open a ticket, though other people say they've put tickets in for similar errors and haven't heard anything for weeks.

Thanks. They must be really behind on fixes, because I put a ticket in on the missing Smart Content thumbnail for Yussef Hair and Beard about 4 months ago. It's still missing. 

I tested both Khalan figures and they look identical to me. 

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    von Hobo said:

Thanks. They must be really behind on fixes, because I put a ticket in on the missing Smart Content thumbnail for Yussef Hair and Beard about 4 months ago. It's still missing. 

AFAIK, DUF files are just JSON files that contain links to other files to explain how the model is put together. Textures, morphs, etc. So they are identical, because they're just copies of each other that point to the same data.

margrave said:
    von Hobo said:

AFAIK, DUF files are just JSON files that contain links to other files to explain how the model is put together. Textures, morphs, etc. So they are identical, because they're just copies of each other that point to the same data.

Could the metadata errors be causing this figure to revert to Genesis 8 figure when it is saved and reloaded. It looks like a generic G8 Figure now. All my work is gone. 

Frustrating!

I can reapply the shape for Khalan when I reload the file to get the Khalan shape back. Why would it be doing this? Never had this issue before.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

This figure is on my wishlist, I would be interested in hearing when this problem is solved!

Hylas said:

This figure is on my wishlist, I would be interested in hearing when this problem is solved!

My error apparently. It's working fine. 

Not sure what I did wrong when I saved the figure, but I reapplied the shape and it saves just fine now.

• TheLionTheLion Posts: 24

This character caused me quite a headscratcher today. Each time I saved a scene with a G8M in it, and then tried to load the scene again with a Content Set that didn't include the location where Khalan was installed, it complained that I was missing the Khalan assets even though the assets wheren't used in the scene at all.

It turns out there's something weird with this asset's folder structure, at least the version you can download through "My Account --> Product Library". The asset zip-file comes with morphs in the normal location ("data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\Matari3D\Khalan"), but then also has morphs in the UV Sets folder ("data\Daz 3D\Genesis 8\Male\UV Sets\Morphs\Matari3D\Khalan"). As far as I can tell the Morphs in the UV Sets folder are redundant and can be safely deleted.

Anyways, I figured I would share the solution here, just in case anyone else encounters the same issus.