I miss having clean toon renders.

spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Yeah I've brought this up before.

Since my last thread lamenting the destruction of pwtoon in my life, I've upgraded lots of hardware. I thought that a new video card and various other things would fix my problem, that my hardware was dying.

Things are faster. But pwtoon still renders blue.

I m r very very disappointed.

All that's left is a new motherboard to replace (but why if this one is working fine and nothing has changed on the renders??) or, to blame, maybe pwtoon has a slight conflict with the latest Daz3D. I started having this issue right about when I upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6.

I really am very disappointed. My comic work has looked horrible for months with no solution.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are you using pwToon_DS4 it was Updated for DS4 use. That said I can confirm the BLUE effect is caused by any UBER based Lighting. All other lighting works properly without the Blue shadowing or whatever it is. I have tested the AoA Advanced lights and they do not produce the Blue effect and cover all the same functions the Uber lights do.

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

I even installed the latest pwtoon in the system. I'm going to attach an image that was rendered before I upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6. You will have seen it before, because I think the last time I lamented the loss you tried to come to the rescue. It uses Uberenvironment, one ambient light and a spotlight.

But now with the same settings - in fact the same scene that once rendered perfectly (glad I saved it) - with the second attached image everything is horrible and blue. It didn't used to do that before, ergo it's not supposed to do that. I've been sitting here scared to death my puter was dying the way puters do with me. I work them very hard. But here I sit with a faster system as of today and things are still blue. Thus I am blue, and not because that's my nickname. This is one expensive way to discover it's not your system.

And the renders just don't have the same luster anymore either. That's probably because of the lighting. That beautiful crispness in the first image looked great when I did my conversion steps to turn it into manga zip shading in Paintshop Pro. Now I can't get that luster anymore, so things are just flat. And ugly. They don't convert as well through my process. I've spent the past several weeks since we last spoke about this experimenting with all sorts of settings and desperate answers, and I'm just not finding anything that works as well as before.

To get things to render NOT blue I have to have very very very little lighting, so that things are flat.

So yeah. Uberdisappoint.

Currently my husband is trying to find an older version of DAZ, and we're going to see if that's the issue. He had to go help one of his privates first... I tried installing an older version here but apparently you no longer can have two DAZ's on your computer or something. It threw a fit at me.

render_with_original_settings_that_used_to_work.png
    600 x 607 - 482K
    sample2.jpg
    1000 x 1397 - 448K
    edited December 1969

And I point it out again... You can NOT use UBER lighting until it is corrected and That can only be done by DAZ 3D.

Capture-002.png
    628 x 682 - 418K
    Capture-001.png
    610 x 665 - 401K
    edited July 2014

Those pretty results you're posting. I can't even get those with just an ambient light and a spotlight, no uber.

And I see how you're pointing to twin toning on your uber render. What I notice, though, is your render isn't blue. I need that twin toning for my process, which is why it was so desirable. *kicks rock*

Edit: I take it back. I see the blue there. Dang.

You mention DAZ has to fix it... Is there hope that DAZ will ever correct this? Come to think of it, should I put in a ticket in case they're not aware? LOL... I seem to be the only one unhappy about it. That first render I showed: that look I truly need. Not the look you posted. See, I was using this to make my comic 10 Confessions - which has all but ground to a halt because of this issue.

Post edited by spearcarrier on
    edited December 1969

Mostly I needed confirmation it wasn't me, before I borrowed money to replace my motherboard. =^-^=

edited December 1969

In my View it is either a render error in pwToon_DS4 or the way Uber shader lighting works with the Shader. I would send a Ticket to DAZ 3D on the matter, and to be frank I just assumed you already had before now. I'm not much of a Toon render type but I do get the Blue effect in any render using the combo of pwToon and Uber Shader lights, it must be something to do with both Shaders in one render.

edited December 1969

Well, the last time we talked about it I remember you were getting the blue but you were doing very different settings from me. My computer was also slowing down, so I had to assume the problem was with me first. And I got trapped by work for a while so couldn't respond anymore (but no worries! I just got fired so I have lotsa free time now! LOL). I just sent a ticket tonight, although I admit I have very little hopes of anything good coming from it any time soon.

I just set up a panel tonight with one distance light as the sun, a spot light set to 40% and a specular light. It turned blue. I take out the specular light and it's not as blue (sometimes it will) but the spots of bright I so need for affect aren't there. It just can't seem to handle spec at all.

edited December 1969

I really wish I could be more help but I decided long ago to not use the Toon style in my work. I do not go for a photo real look but I also do not go for a full Toon one either. I like my it looks 3D but still more Game like than real thing I have settled into. I did Start out to do Comic Book type things but soon learned the render output needed exceeded my speed of work to output ratio. :)

edited December 1969

Well you actually have been a big help. Thanks to you I'm not tearing my hair out trying to buy a motherboard. I know the source of the problem. My answer would be to somehow get Daz 4.5 installed so I can use it only for 10 Confessions, which needs it the most. (Everything else I can work around as i trace them.) I have no idea how to go about doing that, but it's a plan. I planned it.

And thank you.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I realize this isn't really what you are asking for, but in case you haven't seen this thread, it might be of interest: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40700/

edited December 1969

Oooh, this is really nice. I don't aim for this look but I may in a future production. You can also get something similar to what she has done by using cartoondzshaders. I haven't worked with cartoondz a lot because that look isn't what I'm after for now, but it's always good to know.

• TharrickLawsonTharrickLawson Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I can confirm that this is a problem, and am actually quite happy to find out that it isn't just me...

Using pwToon with multiple light sources produces weird green/blue shading artefacts at points where shadows are generated from multiple sources. This is using the default spot/distant/point lights in Daz 4.6, with as far as I'm aware no Uber stuff going on at all. This happens regardless of what shadow type I have set, or even if there is no shadow type set at all. This started happening as soon as I upgraded to 4.6, and making sure that I have the latest pwToon installed has not rectified it.

edited December 1969

I know what you're talking about utterly! I put in a ticket with DAZ about it. Maybe you could do the same? They told me they were having trouble recreating the problem, so perhaps if a new set of fingers typed to them it will help them figure it out. They really are on it. And I'm finding everywhere that people are saying "don't use realistic lighting with toon shaders" for DAZ as if just putting up with the problem should be the norm. I was using the way pwtoon rendered with Uberenvironment as a basis for creating a black and white look. No shiny glossy look from my render, no black and white look.

Because the manga shaders are on sale I bought them yesterday and have been working with them, but I'm still going to need pwtoon to create crisp lines. The geometric shell trick doesn't do it right.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,953
    edited December 1969

Ummm maybe you've already fixed the issue ,but have you seen Zig's Toony Camera Pro???Might be what you need or might help ......
    http://www.daz3d.com/camera-magic-toonycam-pro
    and while it's not on sale at the moment,I'm sure it will eventually.

edited December 1969

Hey. Thanks for bringing that up! I totally have looked at it. I even got to try it on a friend's computer. It's limited in some of the things I do, though. And it outlines stuff that's supposed to be turned off - I saw a thread where people were discussing how to get that to stop, but not being the owner of the puter and not having a manual I was like "yeah, about that." LOL. I was really doing a lot of effects with PWtoon that you can't really replace. I've tried a lot of shaders since it broke.

• TharrickLawsonTharrickLawson Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

My bug report has been passed on to their QA people, and they've let me know of a workaround - try deleting all the lights in one go and then Ctrl-Z to undo that delete. Seems to do the trick.

• I was poking around and came across this thread. With the new version of DS, has the rendering in blue issue gone away for you?

• Nope, still there, and the 'delete all lights -> ctrl-z' workaround doesn't always work.