Poser 10 rendering can I render model without background?

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I have been trying to find information online on how to render a 3D model without including the background so I can edit it in Photoshop on an individual layer but I cant find any information on how to do this. Is this even possible in Poser 10 can you actually render a model without the background image?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,343
    edited December 1969

Save the render as a .png. That will allow you to add in whatever you want in a separate layer

• edited December 1969

I have tried rendering as a .png but it renders the model the ground they are standing on and the background all as a single image file. And when I open it in Photoshop everything is all on the same layer

• Craig JohnCraig John Posts: 45
    edited June 2014

You will need to uncheck the 'Visible in Camera' box in the Properties Tab (which is part of the Parameters Tab) for all items you don't want to be rendered like the Ground or SkyDome for instance.

Setting it this way ensures that they won't be visible in the background but they will still affect the subject (which is what you want in the case of SkyDomes if that is how you're lighting the scene) otherwise you can simply uncheck the 'Visible' box and they won't be visible in the render or affect the scene either.

PoserProperties.jpg
    220 x 377 - 18K
    Post edited by Craig John on
  • edited December 1969

I think that worked thanks guys

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,343
    edited December 1969

I have the visibility for the ground turned off all the time.

edited December 1969

I think that worked thanks guys

You're welcome - it's something I had to ask about myself. :)

I have the visibility for the ground turned off all the time.

I find that having the ground 'Visible' but without the 'Visible in Camera' option adds to the scene if you're using the 'Indirect Light' option (in the 'Render Settings...' dialogue box) as it provides one more bounce of light to the character and you can alter it's material to better represent the final image you're creating. I also use a SkyDome in my exterior scenes as it looks great in reflections but it's 'Visible in Camera' option turned off so I can choose to comp it in whatever environment I want. Obviously I choose skies for the SkyDome which are on the ball park of my final image.

But it doesn't matter whether the 'Ground' is completely invisible or only Invisible to the Camera if you're not using Indirect Light in the render settings.

I hope I haven't confused the matter now micklenehan2002. :blank:

• I still can't get Poser 10 to render a figure on a transparent background. I can export as a .psd file and use the Alpha Channel to 'cutout' the figure from the background, but that screws up the ground shadows. In other words, when i export the psd file to a png file and import into PowerPoint, the figure's shadow only looks good if I place it on a slide with the same (or similarly) colored background as the original render. 

My ultimate goal is to render a figure, with shadows, and export the render to a png or psd where the figure is on a transparent background with the groundshadows that have true transparency so they will blend onto any background. I hope that makes sense.

I can photoshop the shadows to create the effect, but it takes several more steps and the quality is lower than a direct render. 

Thanks for any help.

• JoelLovellJoelLovell Posts: 112

Well in that case, you need to have the Ground "Visible on Camera" checked again in the Properties tab but you need to go to the MATERIAL room and select the Ground prop and in the Advanced tab you should check the "Shadow_Catch_Only" option.

Once you render, the shadow will also be on a transparent background. :) 

• JoelLovellJoelLovell Posts: 112

Like this:

For some reason it wouldn't attach the file but I've linked to it instead. :)

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783

Put Bagginsbill's Shadow Catcher shader on the Ground Plane and set it up per the directions...

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/shadow-catcher

MoNeart beat me to it - I was going to say the same thing as him.

...but Bagginsbill's site looks like it's FULL of tasty resources!! I'll be going through those meaty offerings this week! Thank you for the link WandW. :) 

• oceania66oceania66 Posts: 1

io non riesco mannaggia chi mi aiuta??