dForce Fur and Feather Boas for Genesis 8 Female(s)

srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Is the dForce Fur and Feather Boas for Genesis 8 Female(s) ( https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-fur-and-feather-boas-for-genesis-8-females ) useable in any way without dforce & iray, or does it depend on either or both of those items to product the fur/feathers?

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252

It looks like it can probably be used wthout dForce, since it does come with starting poses, and is rigged. dForce might eliminate fur or feathers poke-through, but is probably not essential to use it. And minor intersections can probably be fixed in post.

The Iray materials are another pair of sleeves. There are converters to 3DL, which I suppose are worth trying. The fact that there are quite a few strand-based hair products in the store with both Iray and 3DL materials suggests that Iray isn't essential to the use of the strand-based hair per se, but there's no telling how the included matts are going to respond to conversion. Using 3DL shaders with the original trans maps ought to give you something -- assuming that the original textures decide not to cooperate. 

Would help if someone who bought it coud post a render.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    sriesch said:

Is the dForce Fur and Feather Boas for Genesis 8 Female(s) ( https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-fur-and-feather-boas-for-genesis-8-females ) useable in any way without dforce & iray, or does it depend on either or both of those items to product the fur/feathers?

Well it depends what you mean by "without dForce". The fur and feathers are dForce hair, so you need a version of DS which can use that.  If you meant "without running a dForce simulation", then maybe.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    JOdel said:
     The fact that there are quite a few strand-based hair products in the store with both Iray and 3DL materials suggests that Iray isn't essential to the use of the strand-based hair per se,

Some don't; there was a dforce tail (something fuzzy, like a fox or a cat I think, I forget) that wasn't 3DL compatible becuase the fur was created with dforce and was not part of the model.  I couldn't tell from the promo if this was that same thing or if the fur/feathers actually had geomoetry.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Leana said:

The fur and feathers are dForce hair, so you need a version of DS which can use that. 

Thanks for the info!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    sriesch said:
    Leana said:

The fur and feathers are dForce hair, so you need a version of DS which can use that. 

Thanks for the info!

I just checked the product page, it says you need at least Daz Studio 4.12.0.86 to use the feathers.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,059

Does anyone have a step by step guide how to make the feather boa work?  I've tried simulating WITH the poses but the boa just floats in the air... ughhh... Been working on it all day with no results.  A guide would help me please.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,227

Hi all! Thank you for your interest in my Boa set.
    Let me address your questions:

It depends on what you mean by "without". You can skip the dForce simulation if you don't mind it looking somewhat stiff. And you can render the fur and feathers in 3Delight. But you will need to use a version of DS that supports dForce hair. Older versions lack the program feature that's used to create the hair/feathers.

Does anyone have a step by step guide how to make the feather boa work?  I've tried simulating WITH the poses but the boa just floats in the air

Sorry you are having problems. I've never had that effect that a dForce item simply floats and refuses to simulate, that's definitely weird.
    Did you use the "Prepare Boa Sim" preset on the boa before starting the simulation?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

They look really great Esha, though I think Daz need to change the compatible software. It claims that it is dForce Cloth, and nothing in there says dForce Hair. Just a heads up in case someone want it but don't buy it because it's says to be dForce Cloth instead of Hair. (or the other way around too)

Carola O said:

They look really great Esha, though I think Daz need to change the compatible software. It claims that it is dForce Cloth, and nothing in there says dForce Hair. Just a heads up in case someone want it but don't buy it because it's says to be dForce Cloth instead of Hair. (or the other way around too)

It uses both. I'm not sure if it's possible to list both things in that specific slot on the product page, but I'll ask. Thank you for spotting that! smiley

esha said:

Hi all! Thank you for your interest in my Boa set.
    Let me address your questions:

Does anyone have a step by step guide how to make the feather boa work?  I've tried simulating WITH the poses but the boa just floats in the air

Sorry you are having problems. I've never had that effect that a dForce item simply floats and refuses to simulate, that's definitely weird.
    Did you use the "Prepare Boa Sim" preset on the boa before starting the simulation?

Hi esha... I found the PDF and I'm trying to make it work.  I'm not very familiar with dForce and that may be part of my problem.  Things have to be loaded in a specific order.  I'm following your instructions on the PDF... I will post a render when it's finished.  There's a bit of a learning curve that I MUST figure out.  Thanks... I'm not one to give up... I'll figure it out sooner or later... lol

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688

Hello Folks! Just bought the feathers... well... I must be doing something wrong and I cannot find out what it is. dForce is working well and feathers work well too, no problems, but... the fur appears only in texture shading and NOT in Iray. Do I need to activate some kind of render setting?

Ralf1958 said:

Hello Folks! Just bought the feathers... well... I must be doing something wrong and I cannot find out what it is. dForce is working well and feathers work well too, no problems, but... the fur appears only in texture shading and NOT in Iray. Do I need to activate some kind of render setting?

Never mind! Found the solution! :-)

edited August 2020

ok... Got the boa to finally go with my pose... There is a bit of a learning curve with dForce.. especially for me.  I need to work with it more. 

This is Anae HD but with an added a freckle overlay to her skin.  It made it a little flat... but I'm going to have to live with it... LOL

ENJOY!

ANAE 1hour 27minute IRAY render NOT DONE SIGN.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 205K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

@Llola Lane Awesome render! Glad you were able to figure it out yes

@Ralf1958 The fur is not visible in the Iray preview mode, only in the full render. Was that the problem/solution?

edited August 2020
    esha said:

@Ralf1958 The fur is not visible in the Iray preview mode, only in the full render. Was that the problem/solution?

Yes, the Preview was the Problem. The solution was quite easy. See attachement! :-)

Anmerkung 2020-08-22 121612.png
    1680 x 1050 - 371K
    Post edited by Ralf1958 on
    Ralf1958 said:
    esha said:

Yes, the Preview was the Problem. The solution was quite easy. See attachement! :-)

Thanks for the step by step Ralf1958... I'm going to try the fur next... please post your render when done.. I'd love to see it :)

esha said:

@Llola Lane Awesome render! Glad you were able to figure it out yes

Thank you Esha... You are soooooooooooo talented.  Love this product!

@esha Hmmm... I got stucked! I have to admit I have probably to many Boas in one Scene. 4 long and 4 short, all with hair. Up to three boas it renders ok. Adding number four, DAZ crashes. Any advice here?

Well... I hope I will get the Fur-Boa working... this one here is ok, but it's not exactly what I was looking for... :-)

dForce Feathers 01.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Ralf1958 said:

Well... I hope I will get the Fur-Boa working... this one here is ok, but it's not exactly what I was looking for... :-)

Oh yes... that's a splendid idea for some artwork Ralf.. Thanks for sharing :)

You may have to try rendering the pieces separately then postworking them together in a drawing program.  That's what I would do :)  Good Luck!

Here we go, this is what I was aiming for. I had to cheat a bit... I only have one boa plus 5 instances of it. It's a good solution but the major issue is, that I can't set each Boa differently... I will go step by step and see how many boas I can add max with different settings before DAZ crashes. If I could reach 4 and then have a few instances of them, that would be great for the variations. :-)

dForce Feathers 03.png
    960 x 960 - 837K

Well...!!! What do I have to say? I absolutely love this product! Thanks @esha !!!

dForce Feathers 06.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Ralf1958 said:

Well...!!! What do I have to say? I absolutely love this product! Thanks @esha !!!

Oh yes.. Instances (duhhh).. lol... WOW... Great artwork Ralf.  Thanks for sharing... Now ya got me wanting to try it... (winks) 

edited August 2020
    Ralf1958 said:

Oh yes.. Instances (duhhh).. lol... WOW... Great artwork Ralf.  Thanks for sharing... Now ya got me wanting to try it... (winks) 

Oh.. I forgot... I did one similar a while back... this was before I knew about instancing... or maybe there was no instancing back then... in any rate... the girls in the background were just flat png planes of the girl in the front!

feather_dancers_by_llolalane_d8erlij-fullview.jpg
    600 x 600 - 30K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

@Llola Lane - Looks good :-)

I guess those Feathers will be a bit to heavy on the system if I would try to fit them in my big Project... :-)

AC 73.png
    1600 x 900 - 3M
    Ralf1958 said:

@Llola Lane - Looks good :-)

I guess those Feathers will be a bit to heavy on the system if I would try to fit them in my big Project... :-)

OMG!!!  My computer would fry!!!  lol.  Post it if you get it rendered... lol

Wow! Awesome work @Ralf1958 yes

I guess 4 boas in one scene, combined with a figure, hair, high-res skin etc. might be a bit much. It depends on your system, of course.
    For that promo render that shows all 4 boas on the chair I didn't have any figures in the scene, just the room (and I deleted all the parts outside the camera view). It was doable, but rather slow, and I don't think I could have added much more.

@esha - Working with instances works pretty good. This render was done with 2 Boas and 10 instances. No problems rendering. :-)

dForce Feathers 08.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

Very cool Ralf ;)

Thanks for the tip Esha... I was wondering about that too.  :)

Glad to see the instances work so well! smiley