create rectangular box with subdivisions in Carrara?

In Daz I go to create a primitive> box>set axis> set size>set divisions>okay.
Which is fine if I want a cube with the same number of divisions on each side.
But I want a recantagular box 
50 units high, 25 wide, and 1 deep
sub divided 100, 50, and 1.
In the program I use I click on Box> key entry> type in sizes>type in sub-divisions>okay to create the item. 
---
does that exist in carrara? 

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited August 2020

Off hand, that would take me two steps.

In vertex modeler

- construct : Insert 3D : Grid :  (in menu, set size to 1 of your units feet meters etc and then U and V to 50 and 25...)

- add thickness of 1 (of same units)

Maybe someone else can do it in one step.

grid.jpg
    874 x 519 - 60K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Looked a little closer.  Still two steps, but should be

- set units to 0.5 and then then number of U and V to be 100 and 50 instead of 1, 50, and 25.

- still add thickness of 1 unit wide

• now to get my windows ot work... can't get that top bar.  ctrl 1 2 etc just change the icons in the upper corner but don't open the window or the taskbar like shows in your shot. 

carrara interface.jpg
    2016 x 1735 - 982K

Carrara has multiple modelers.  Did you insert a vertex model?

Can click and drag the wireframe globe thing from the top menu into the scene.  Or, can go to the top menu and use INSERT : VERTEX OBJECT  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

now to get my windows ot work... can't get that top bar.  ctrl 1 2 etc just change the icons in the upper corner but don't open the window or the taskbar like shows in your shot. 

need a new scene, you have none

go to file new scene and choose medium from the wizard

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited August 2020

Step by step as per Diomede & Wendy

1. File - New

2. Choose Medium

3. Click on Empty Scene

4. Insert - Vertex Object

5. Construct - Insert 3D - Grid

Box Vertex 1.png
    2278 x 1046 - 217K
    Box Vertex 2.png
    2276 x 1042 - 292K
    Box Vertex 3.png
    2276 x 1039 - 303K
    Box Vertex 4.png
    2269 x 1039 - 279K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited August 2020

Part-2

6. Set Values, then OK

7. Model - Add Thickness

8. Set Value, then OK

9. Finished

Box Vertex 5.png
    2282 x 1037 - 263K
    Box Vertex 6.png
    2276 x 1042 - 393K
    Box Vertex 7.png
    2280 x 1039 - 321K
    Box Vertex 8.png
    2271 x 1033 - 530K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited August 2020

got as far as the first screen.. wants my architools serial number.. put it in .. hit enter.. sits there.. 
    repeat 20 times...  still sitting. 
    and no product library link...  

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on

got as far as the first screen.. wants my architools serial number.. put it in .. hit enter.. sits there.. 
    repeat 20 times...  still sitting. 
    and no product library link...  

sadly DAZ culled the Inagoni plugins from their store

you need to enter each of the 4 I think or is it 5 fields, cannot just paste it in the first one

just select copy paste in sections 

if you skip it for now you can always try another again time under help in the menu

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited August 2020

argh...  construct 3d>grid.. is flat a rectangle with faces
    construct 3d>rectangle is flat ... but why is it in 3d menu as well as 2d menu?
    but construct 3d>cube actually lets you creat a cube that is 50 x 25 x 1 .. yea.. oops,  you can't specify number of segments in each direction.. close. 
    but maybe I can make a 25 x 25 x 1 .. with 50 segments clone it, stack it, explort it with no groups and bring it back in and have 1 object 50 x 25 x 1 with 50 segsments X and 100 segments y... allowing a scale work of 6 inches
    ---
    but how do I choose faces to work with.. convert to building modeler..  okay, fatal error everything gone...  
    I'm finding it hard to be impressed.
    But thanks to all who answered..  
    ---
    And yes, I understand Daz bought a couple different programs... but interfaces should be standardized across your line of products. 

But as far as I can tell, based on no upgrades since 2015.. they decided it wasn't worth taking care of because large numbers weren't buying it, (wonder why). 
    ---
    To be fair, the vaunted Blender can not create a rectangle with faces, either. It can import one.. but can't create one. 
    ---
    the error took out everything in the window.. file menus etc... 
    However, when I clicked the  red X to close the window it did offer to save the stuff that wasn't there. 

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
    edited August 2020

you can select edge loops and under model add more faces by extracting 

on the right are options to select by face, edge, point

loop, ring etc and plus minus symbols

under the model tab is extract edge

yes grid is a plane, is still a 3D mesh one poly thick

I am more impressed with Carrara than I ever will be with Blender but each to their own cheeky

you use what suits you

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • once I get it to thickness as in the series above. Can I then select faces and delete them leaving a hole in the grid that I can bridge between the front and back. 
    once I punched a hole in the base for a window, I was able to bridge between the front and back of the wall and create a window opening 

nyc header base new brick4.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 2M

Glad you got up and running.

There is a thread dedicated to modeling which might be a handy reference to have linked.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1314116/#Comment_1314116

For some free tutorials on using the tools in Carrara's vertex modeler, you will find a list at carraracafe https://carraracafe.com/tag/vertex-modeling/

and in the information manual stickied at the top of the forum.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual#latest

Here is the comment that has lists of modeling resources.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/233895/#Comment_233895

Reminder, Carrara has more than one modeler (vertex, spline, metaball, forumla,...).

once I get it to thickness as in the series above. Can I then select faces and delete them leaving a hole in the grid that I can bridge between the front and back. 
    once I punched a hole in the base for a window, I was able to bridge between the front and back of the wall and create a window opening 

- yes, you can delete faces after thickness and then bridge to make a hole.  I would recommend deleting the polygon before adding thickness and then the hole will be bridged when thickness is added.

- folks can use more than one way to model anything, as I'm sure you are aware.  Here is one way to anticipate doors and windows in irregular shaped architecture by using polylines and loft.  It was written by Roygee

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/435937/#Comment_435937

and you have architools too apparently 

• if I can get it to take serial number --- okay, says it's a sample one rather than a real one

edited August 2020

you might have to run Carrara as administrator to get the serial to stick

as I said you cannot just copy and paste it all in one go either

if you stuff it up it will run in trial mode so you will need to go to the help tab and try registering it again

you need to do the serials for every paid plugin you have, I was very frustrated with this on my Win10 install too as had them all at once so understand 

I probably own every plugin out there

DAZ studio at least waits until you actually  want to use one to enable them, not at start up

my PC I cannot use it with Octane plugin along with quite a few other plugins so I use two versions of Carrara which gets complicated 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

BYW - crown for your doorway looks very nice.  yes

• thank you all for your help.. keeping track of this thread and the links. 
    ----
    Once I beat my way through the diffent interfaces (carrara, hex) as opposed to max I should be able to retire Max. 
    It's a ancient copy that still runs but I want to be prepared the day it dies.
    Looks like for the functions I use, all the programs have the basic stuff just presented differently.