gpu on laptop not rendering

(I thought I had posted this before, but it seems something went wrong)

I am using a MSI GF63 8rd Lap Top in the past it could render using the video card which is aNividia Geforce GTX 1050 TI with Max-Q Design on windows 10. I am using the curren beta version of Daz studio and it seems that it is not even trying to use the GPU. I have been rendering with Iray since 4.9 (I believe) and am familiar with out of memory problems and how to enable the GPU to render in the software. I have read the log and there seems to be no attempt to use the gpu and there are no errors related to the gpu. I have tried complex scenes and simple scenes.

I believe the problem has to do with it being a laptop, but I could be wrong. Many laptops like mine, allow you to chose which gpu a program uses. I have choosen that gpu in the NVida control panel, but maybe I need to change it somewhere else too.

In summarry I think I need to know how to make sure the laptop is allowing DazStudio access to the nvidia gpu, but there could be something I am missing regarding daz studio. Please help.

P.S. the view port iray seems to use my GPU at 10% to 30% according to hardware monitor

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Wild stab in the dark - check your drivers, W10 has a habit of using a version that screws up with Iray.

• MandMMandM Posts: 60
    edited August 2020

I'm running into something similar.  I7, gtx 1070 (it's the desktop version), 8192MB memory, the nvidia studio driver 442.92 and was rendering and simulating well with 4.9.  Asus Laptop.  (considering updating to 451.77 from 7/2020)
    Upgrading to 4.12 and it still has under Render Tab, Advanced, render with GPU, interactive with CPU.
    When you press render, none of it goes to GPU, it all goes to CPU.  

Post edited by MandM on
  •  

MandM said:

check your drivers, W10 has a habit of using a version that screws up with Iray.

Made me double-check to make absolutely sure I had the latest drivers. I have no idea how it happened but I have driver version 431.84. the beta seems to require at least 441.22. So I grabed the latest drivers and it seems to be working. I guess I really over thought my problem...

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

How have you determined that the GPU wasn't used? 

• edited August 2020
    odastein said:

How have you determined that the GPU wasn't used? 

I assume you aren't asking me, since I described the two ways I verified the GPU wasn't being used in the original post and I have already posted the solution to my question. I don't know who your question was for because MandM also seems certain the GPU isn't used for their render

However, If you are asking me, then yes. Yes, I have determined the GPU wasn't used. I hope that helps.

Edit: In your question, I read the word "How" as "Have". Daz STudio creates a log file, it puts gpu info there, also I use a program called cpuid hwmonitor.

Post edited by heinzerbrew_f94794efff on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@heinzerbrew_f94794efff

If you use GPU-Z, you will be sure your GPU is/ is not being used.

• edited August 2020

duplicate post

Post edited by heinzerbrew_f94794efff on
  • fastbike1 said:

@heinzerbrew_f94794efff

cpuid hwmonitor seems to work fine for me (it provides tons of realtime stats for many systems on your computer. If you check the log file as I said I did in my original post you will also get lots of details. It will tell you the gpu it uses, it will tell you seperately how many iterations each gpu and processor completed, and if anything goes wrong it will tell you what happened and when. For example, sometimes you have enough memory to do the render, but when the denoiser kicks in it fails due to out of memory. 

• mclaughmclaugh Posts: 221
    fastbike1 said:

@heinzerbrew_f94794efff

Windows Task Manager will verify whether or not your GPU is being used just fine. Go to the Performance tab, select the GPU, and change one of the graphs to CUDA. Sure, GPU-Z reports some things that Task Manger doesn't but for verifying whether or not the GPU is being used, Task Manager works just fine.