dForce Indiana Tassle Shirt not behaving correctly

The tassles on the dForce Tassle Shirt for the Indiana character (Indiana dForce Clothing and Accessories for Genesis 8 Female(s) by 3D Universe) are not behaving correctly when a dForce simulation is run.

The attached image shows the shirt applied to the Indiana character in Zero Pose with no alteration to the simulation settings. During simulation the tassles move in random directions and end up pointing in random directions including upwards and even passing through the shirt material (as indicated with red circles).

Could 3D Universe please suggest a fix for this.

Thanks.

Tassle problem.jpg
978 x 535 - 172K

Comments

• In Simulation Settings try selecting the higher quality collision detection, and try increasing the number of subframes and/or iterations per subframe. Also, if you get lots of spring-length warnings as the simulation starts go into the Surfaces pane and try lowering the Dynamic Offset.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited August 2020

Hi Richard, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "selecting the higher quality collision detection".

In the Simulation Settings, the Collision Mesh Resolution is set to Base, the other option being Viewport which doesn't make any improvement.

I have set the Collision Mode to: Best - Continuous: CCD. This on its own doesn't seem to make much difference.

I doubled the values for Number of Subframes, Iterations per Subframe and Collision Iterations. However this made it even worse as you can see from the attached image.

I couldn't find a Dynamic Offset setting. However I did see Dynamic Strength and Collision Offset settings. I reduced both of these but it did not make the tassles behave naturally. At the settings shown in the second image, only a couple of the tassles managed to get tangled around each other and the rest hardly moved. Increasing the Dynamic Strength to 0.85 causes the tassles to go wild in every direction again.

The tassles shown in the promo pictures appear to be behaving normally, so it must be possible. Perhaps 3DUniverse could share the Simulation Settings and Surface Settings he used?

Tassles 3.PNG
    1007 x 511 - 244K
    Tassles4.PNG
    1191 x 533 - 697K
    Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Sorry, Collision Offset was the one I meant. I'm not sure what else might help.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    You could try turning off Self Collide in the surface settings. Sometimes Self Collide makes things warp and cling, the opposite of what you would expect it to do.
  • I don't own that shirt but additionally you could try set the frames per second multiplier up to 4, I would also definitely put collision resolution to viewport and check the subd level of the figure, also make sure smoothing on the shirt is off before simulating if it has any smoothing.

with the shirt and figure loaded in, no simulation, select the shirt then go to edit>geometry>select dforce starting collisions
    this way you can check your changed settings don't result in collisions before running the sim. (and if they do you can see where)