HDRI question

So my question is about HDRI. Normally I buy them and they are outdoors. But I bought a set here, that are all interiors, and they are oversized when I render them. I know this is likely the result of the way the camera or portal dimensions, but this set does not include a default camera. How does one... Shrink the background so one for example, doesn't have super big interior furnitrues?  Is there a trick to this to size the HDRI down? alternatively, is there a way to determine the correct camera width to maybe make things more in proportion?

Comments

• not sure on the actual sizes of the set you've purchased but you'll want to switch the environment dome mode from infinite sphere to finite sphere or other finite variant and then adjust the sizes of said sphere to match the correct size of the room. There may be more information included with the set readme or similar as to the correct settings to use.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

There is no readme. The set is Rural Virginia. I switched it to finite mode, but none of the settings appear to make the HDRI smaller. How do you do this? Thank you for your time. 

• attached a screenshot of my setup, the dome scale multiplier and dome radius are the options you want to adjust although you could play with the position of the dome too

Resize_hdri.png
    3360 x 1200 - 2M

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited August 2020

Sorry if I'm missing something here. Are HDRI backgrounds and HDRI lighting (sometimes called IBL?) two different things???

Post edited by Roman_K2 on
    edited August 2020

The hdri is just weirdly big on the interior. I tried messing with the settings and got a little improvement, but I couldn't shrink it well enough without distortion. I Think I'll put a ticket in. Maybe it is missing instructions or something.

render2.png
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited August 2020

When cameras aren't included, I tend to use one of the sets from Dimension Theory's Pro HDR sets as a starting point - most HDRI's are created with the same spherical/equirectangular projection method and should look pretty good with any HDRI optimised camera setup.

Post edited by Silas3D on
    Silas3D said:

When cameras aren't included, I tend to use one of the sets from Dimension Theory's Pro HDR sets as a starting point - most HDRI's are created with the same spherical/equirectangular projection method and should look pretty good with any HDRI optimised camera setup.

Thank you! This proved to be helpful advice. A lot of these cameras seem to work... It saves me hours. I appreciate the tip!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Silas3D said:

Thank you! This proved to be helpful advice. A lot of these cameras seem to work... It saves me hours. I appreciate the tip!

Are you saying that you have been able to scale the HDR background now? If so, I'd love to know how. I have some Dimension Theory products but not sure I have those cameras - so is it possible with normal DAZ Studio cameras? I have tried and failed to scale HDRi backgrounds which is why I gave up on them but if there is a way, I'd love to know how.

edited August 2020

I think the absence of actual cameras and the correct dimesions for the HDRI are a big issue. I am not saying there is science behind my response answer... However, I was able to use the cameras from here: https://www.daz3d.com/iradiance-pro-series-16k-hdris-photo-studio-for-iray

and a portrait view to make... At least 60 percent of the HDRI work, wheras before everything was super big and out of proportion.

It occured to me, that since I was using a long horizon view to switch to a long portrait view. This seems to have helped in combination of the pro HDRI premade cameras. It did not however solve the issue entirely. The bathroom, and bedroom from some angles are big. 

The lighting here is what came with rurall viginia and 4 additional lights.

CAMERA1.png
    1600 x 1800 - 3M
    CAMERA2.png
    1600 x 1800 - 3M
    CAMERA4.png
    1600 x 1800 - 3M
    CAMER3.png
    1600 x 1800 - 4M

I don't have that product but I do have this one ... https://www.daz3d.com/iradiance-hdri-variety-pack-two

Which does have a portrait camera. I'll tinker with the camera and see if I can get somewhere. It would be nice to be able to use HDRi backgrounds but the scaling issue has always defeated me.

edited August 2020

My scaling issue isn't solved, but at least some products are now usable with this workaround.

I would like to be able to control the HDRI Scaling easier than present. For example the monstrous bathtub:

bath.png
    1600 x 1800 - 4M

My scaling issue isn't solved, but at least some products are now usable with this workaround.

I would like to be able to control the HDRI Scaling easier than present. For example the monstrous bathtub:

Exactly. Without accurate scaling, many of them are just useless.