Last DS upgrade: a hare and a snail

Is it only me or have some of you noticed that after last actualization DS opens really quick?

And it never seems to get completely closed???

I sometimes have to kill the process ending task in Task Manager in order to be able to open the program anew. This does not seem to affect the saved and closed instance

And I have lost the wonderful posibilitiy of having two instances of the program opened, me posing on one while the other rendered atomatically being in below normal priority. Now you can't have two oppenned.

Please Daz tell me this is temporary and not the state of the art

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited August 2020

I don't have have issus with Studio closing. Then again I rarely feel the need to open Studio shortly after closing it. Personally, I don't understnad the need for multiple instances of Studio.

YMMV.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Jerife said:

Is it only me or have some of you noticed that after last actualization DS opens really quick?

And it never seems to get completely closed???

I sometimes have to kill the process ending task in Task Manager in order to be able to open the program anew. This does not seem to affect the saved and closed instance

And I have lost the wonderful posibilitiy of having two instances of the program opened, me posing on one while the other rendered atomatically being in below normal priority. Now you can't have two oppenned.

Please Daz tell me this is temporary and not the state of the art

@Jerife, It's not temporary.

There is a way around it, though, talked about in the beta thread.

However, the new function is limited to the build, (release, public, private.) So you can have the beta open at the same time you have the release open. I actually use the latest beta for most things, then open a previous build release if I need a second instance of Daz Studio open. This is handy for creating subscenes to be merged with the larger scene I'm working on, whether it's to add a character and pose him/her, or simulate hair or clothing without unnecessary object in the scene.

It turns out, DS has always taken a long time to shut down, behind the scenes. We just didn't know it because the program could be restarted before completely shutting down. Apparently that was causing some real problems. It is also possible to cause issues, we've been told, by ending the DS shutdown process with Task Manager. Although I have not yet personally had that cause an issue that I'm aware of.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

When you close ds, the software is still open for sometime hogging memory. I tend to have to force quit to make sure it is really stopped, if you run the task manager you can see it lingering long after the app closes.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,494

It is my understanding that when it's shutting down, you just have to wait till it finishes deallocating the memory it was using and it finally shuts down completely; and that if you load a new blank scene just before shutting down, the shutdown part will happen much faster. But you'll still have to wait for the deallocation of memory to load the new blank scene.

• If DS is active in Task Manager it'ss till clearing memory, don#t force quit or you may corrupt soem of its configuration files. If it is sitting there doing nothing it may be a conflict with a third-party plug-in not allowing the shut-down to complete, in which case you may have to force quit but might want to try disabling third-party plug-ins, then reenabling them one-by-one - thiss cript will do the disabling for you http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

If DS is active in Task Manager it'ss till clearing memory, don#t force quit or you may corrupt soem of its configuration files. If it is sitting there doing nothing it may be a conflict with a third-party plug-in not allowing the shut-down to complete, in which case you may have to force quit but might want to try disabling third-party plug-ins, then reenabling them one-by-one - thiss cript will do the disabling for you http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start

Is this true?  I literally force quit it about 10 times a day as I move between comic panels and files representing different render passes...  I've never corrupted anything, but now I'm concerned I'm high risk.  It's a shame, though, because just sitting around and waiting for it to close the way it's supposed to takes ages.

Whats the worst that would happen, if you were to corrupt a config file?  I would just need to install DS again, maybe?  I'm honestly asking, because the risk may be worth it in the end, but maybe not lol

• duckbomb said:

If DS is active in Task Manager it'ss till clearing memory, don#t force quit or you may corrupt soem of its configuration files. If it is sitting there doing nothing it may be a conflict with a third-party plug-in not allowing the shut-down to complete, in which case you may have to force quit but might want to try disabling third-party plug-ins, then reenabling them one-by-one - thiss cript will do the disabling for you http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start

Is this true?  I literally force quit it about 10 times a day as I move between comic panels and files representing different render passes...  I've never corrupted anything, but now I'm concerned I'm high risk.  It's a shame, though, because just sitting around and waiting for it to close the way it's supposed to takes ages.

Whats the worst that would happen, if you were to corrupt a config file?  I would just need to install DS again, maybe?  I'm honestly asking, because the risk may be worth it in the end, but maybe not lol

Most likely it would affect the layout files, which can fairly easily be reloaded/reset (though if you didn't save a custom layout you would lose any adjustments). I thinmk there are risks for other preference settings, and force quitting can leave PostgreSQL running if the shutdown signal has not beens ent (which in turn carries a risk of database corruption if it has to be force quit). I don't know what the odds are - it probably depends on what, if anything, is happening at the moment you terminate the process - but I would urge you to try to figure out the reason for the delay, and if DS is being active to let it complete its tasks.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    duckbomb said:

Same hear, if they fixed the memory leak I wouldn't have to keep shutting it down, beggining to wonder if the Poser isn't going to be a better bet in future. DS is really hampering my workflow

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

scorpio said:

Same hear, if they fixed the memory leak I wouldn't have to keep shutting it down, beggining to wonder if the Poser isn't going to be a better bet in future. DS is really hampering my workflow

As @duckbomb says, just kill it:

duckbomb said:

Is this true?  I literally force quit it about 10 times a day as I move between comic panels and files representing different render passes...  I've never corrupted anything, but now I'm concerned I'm high risk.

Nope.  It is using a single CPU and is not actually writing anything to disk so far as I can see.  I'm pretty sure it isn't "freeing memory" either, my guess is that it is sending data to Daz over the internet, which would explain why it takes so long (my internet connection maxs out at 1MBbps).

The only problem I have seen with killing the thing is that if I kill it while it has messed up a dForce simulation it can sometimes, very rarely, leave my graphics card in a non-functional state, requiring a reboot.  I haven't seen anything like that for at least 6 months so it may be an NVidia bug.  Just kill it.  Kill the 12 PostgreSQL servers it is running too, and the "Windows Command Processor"; they are hiding there in a separate process (threads in a separate address space.)

In fact it is simply faster to reboot ("restart") Windows 10 than it is to shut down Daz, and restarting Windows 10 is perfectly safe. 

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585
    duckbomb said:

Most likely it would affect the layout files, which can fairly easily be reloaded/reset (though if you didn't save a custom layout you would lose any adjustments). I thinmk there are risks for other preference settings, and force quitting can leave PostgreSQL running if the shutdown signal has not beens ent (which in turn carries a risk of database corruption if it has to be force quit). I don't know what the odds are - it probably depends on what, if anything, is happening at the moment you terminate the process - but I would urge you to try to figure out the reason for the delay, and if DS is being active to let it complete its tasks.

AH!  OK, this makes sense... thanks for your response!  After I posted this I tried to let DS finish what it was doing, but I think I'm a little bit of a strange case because my scenes are HUGE... like...  over 30 GB of VRAM huge... and at the 40 minute mark I just had to kill it because time is money and all of that jazz.  I made a backup as you suggested in a different thread, so I guess at this point my best option is to roll the dice and be prepared for the worst, but your insight here makes me feel at least a little better about the whole thing.

jbowler said:

Nope.  It is using a single CPU and is not actually writing anything to disk so far as I can see.  I'm pretty sure it isn't "freeing memory" either, my guess is that it is sending data to Daz over the internet, which would explain why it takes so long (my internet connection maxs out at 1MBbps).

The only problem I have seen with killing the thing is that if I kill it while it has messed up a dForce simulation it can sometimes, very rarely, leave my graphics card in a non-functional state, requiring a reboot.  I haven't seen anything like that for at least 6 months so it may be an NVidia bug.  Just kill it.  Kill the 12 PostgreSQL servers it is running too, and the "Windows Command Processor"; they are hiding there in a separate process (threads in a separate address space.)

In fact it is simply faster to reboot ("restart") Windows 10 than it is to shut down Daz, and restarting Windows 10 is perfectly safe. 

This also makes me feel reassured... thank you for your response!  I've seen that issue with the DForce thing, and I agree with you that I think it's probably just an NVidia thing.  What I'll usually do is build up all of my scenes, force quitting in between each one, and then doing a full restart before kicking off the render queue for the night, just in case.  I DO have a weird issue where when I restart I have a 50/50 chance of getting a memory error, but that's not got anything to do with DAZ and more to do with me knocking the computer over while vaccuuming one day...  LOL

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    duckbomb said:

so...does restarting the computer while studio is still doing all this interminable post-quit stuff carry the same risks, richard?

• jardine said:
    duckbomb said:

so...does restarting the computer while studio is still doing all this interminable post-quit stuff carry the same risks, richard?

At least, given that you would then be terminating  multiple running processes

• jbowler said:

scorpio said:

As @duckbomb says, just kill it:

duckbomb said:

Is this true?  I literally force quit it about 10 times a day as I move between comic panels and files representing different render passes...  I've never corrupted anything, but now I'm concerned I'm high risk.

DS will communicate with Daz:

if you opt in to the Product Improvement Programme it will send some anonymised usage data. As far as I know it does this when the application is otherwise quiet.

if you tell it to log-in (Connect>Connect) or have in a previous session told it to always connect then it will fetch updataded metadata for exisitng products abd metadata for products newly added to your order history. That's all fetch - it gets the list from Daz and asks for the bits it needs, it doesn't send a large chunk of data.

jbowler said:

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272

I hope this gets smoothed "soon"

Thanks for the info Richard

Thank you L'Adair, I need the double workplace: How can I download the Beta you talked about?