Just fun Michael trivia r.e. release dates.

tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
edited July 2020 in The Commons

Sooo, today's sale may be the closest we get to Michael 8's birthday this year (Yay!).  Michael 8 was released on August 22nd, 2017.  Glad to see Michael getting a nod of sorts today, even if it's about a month ahead of M8's BDay..

As for the other Michaels...

These are the 'officially acknowledged' dates taken from the documentation pages

Michael 1 aka Millenium Man: January 1st 2000 according to the docs page... The Wiki page notes that Victoria, possibly along with Michael (by then Zygote) was released around February of 1999.  Note that Daz Productions bacame it's own company around April 2nd of 2001, according to this archived press release:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030212201415/http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/press/press_releases/daz-zygote split.html

Michael 2 is a bit of a mystery.  There's currently no page for him in the docs pages index, and a number of pages in the 0001-9999 series are missing.  The M2 texture maps for M1 were released on October 25th, 2001.  I did come across this press release on webarchive that is dated January 7th, 2002:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021215112631/http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/press/press_releases/michael2.0.html

Michael 3.0 Base: September 10th, 2003

Michael 4 Base: October 20th, 2010

Michael 5: April 24th, 2012

Michael 6:  November 19th, 2013

Michael 7: November 17th, 2015

Michael 8: August 22nd, 2017.

I did this render a while back, which includes Michaels 4-8 and the corresponding Victorias...

I should give a nod to the Michael Appreciation Association:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/68371/michael-and-friends-appreciation-association-lots-of-images-please/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/234631/michael-and-friends-appreciation-association-images-pt-2/p1

Quick nod to this thread, for those that might be curious about such things:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24257/daz-3d-human-figures-a-history/p1

So as to when we should give Michael an 'official' nod as far as dates, that's a good question... I'm just happy that he was given a nod again today!  Thanks for the purple banner coupon Daz! (for those of us that previously purchased the associated Michaels).

YAY MICHAEL!

yes

MichaelVic4-8a.jpg
800 x 450 - 157K
Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I think the Wiki pages are wrong to say that Millenium Man Michael released at the same time as Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman in Feb 1999. That's been 21 years ago but I had just bought a Poser at a local book store in 1999 and I seem to remember Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman being sold for a shocking $99.95, which I wouldn't pay for and so used the Poser figures, and as the link you gave shows, Michael 1 aka the Millenium Man being sold for $39.95, which was still expensive but I did buy as $39.95 (eventually) was much more affordable, but he wasn't available until much later in terms of digital product lifecycle. So I think it was Victoria released in February 1999 as it coincided only maybe a month after my purchase of Poser 4 for a whopping 600 Swiss Francs (it may of been and probably was Poser 4 Pro I bought).  So Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman would of cost about 200 Swiss Francs! Wow, that's a lot of cash! Michael 1 aka Millenium Man, I remember and I thought it odd that Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman didn't have a male counterpart and seem to remember it releasing in January 1, 2000 just like your link says but I waited a while because at $39.95 I thought still expensive too but not crazy expensive like Victoria 1 was. 

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited July 2020

... ...

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,773
    edited July 2020

I still don't have M8 and I'd love to take advantage of the offer today... too bad there's nothing being released today that interests me all that much :/

Post edited by Hylas on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

I think the Wiki pages are wrong to say that Millenium Man Michael released at the same time as Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman in Feb 1999. That's been 21 years ago but I had just bought a Poser at a local book store in 1999 and I seem to remember Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman being sold for a shocking $99.95, which I wouldn't pay for and so used the Poser figures, and as the link you gave shows, Michael 1 aka the Millenium Man being sold for $39.95, which was still expensive but I did buy as $39.95 (eventually) was much more affordable, but he wasn't available until much later in terms of digital product lifecycle. So I think it was Victoria released in February 1999 as it coincided only maybe a month after my purchase of Poser 4 for a whopping 600 Swiss Francs (it may of been and probably was Poser 4 Pro I bought).  So Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman would of cost about 200 Swiss Francs! Wow, that's a lot of cash! Michael 1 aka Millenium Man, I remember and I thought it odd that Victoria 1 aka Millenium Woman didn't have a male counterpart and seem to remember it releasing in January 1, 2000 just like your link says but I waited a while because at $39.95 I thought still expensive too but not crazy expensive like Victoria 1 was. 

Thanks for your input!  I'm all about having accurate release dates, hopefully others that were doing the Poser thing around that time can chime in here!

• ericolsenericolsen Posts: 350

Yes this correlates with my memories as well. I forget which caveman version of Poser I was using at that point but it was an early one!

• I keep getting older, Michael stays the same age. uck you Michael you punk### !

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited August 2020

Sooo, a Michael related sale on August 13th... that's pretty close to Michael 8's birthday.  Looks like a reasonably cool sale too!

https://www.daz3d.com/go-fight-win

Sure, since they look like they are all DO's, it might pay to wait for the PC+ sale/PC+ for a day, but in the meantime...

Looks like I already own all but 3 of the 14 featured men in today's sale, but I'm interested in at least two of the remaining ones.  Might be a good time to put that $6 PC+ monthly coupon to use!

I wouldn't mind a better deal on the sale-related new releases for being a 'loyal' Michael buyer of course...

In any case, I appreciate Michael getting the nod today!!!  Thanks Daz Sales Team!

yes

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    ericolsen said:

Yes this correlates with my memories as well. I forget which caveman version of Poser I was using at that point but it was an early one!

It was Poser 4. It had a trapeze artist in a unitard hanging upside down by her knees in mid swing I think. Not long after that I bought the Poser 4 Pro expansion via the internet. I still remember having to go about 20 miles by tram, train, bus, and walking another couple of miles or so to the UPS office near the airport because the UPS man never could deliver that type of item to me apartment. It would take the enitire Saturday to fetch those types of deliveries. Really, a delivery service where I'm the one actually delivering the package is not much of a delivery service.