Malicious Site Warning

2»

Comments

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    Sevrin said:

Malwarebytes just blocked the site outright.  Getting the premium version was one of my better security investments, especially since it's a one-time expense.

I had to remove the Malwarebytes real-time-protection -- it had a bad habit of removing the owner and privileges information from files, so you couldn't delete them and couldn't take ownership of them.  It did it to both Daz Studio and DIM so they couldn't be updated.  And it didn't give any indication that it was done by malwarebytes -- I only discovered it by chance from a discussion of Malwarebytes.  Very disappointing, as Malwarebytes is normally excellent.

That's very, very odd behavior.  I've never seen any AV program do that.  About the only reason I could see if if the files were flagged as a threat for some reason.  I've been using Malwarebytes for years, and never had any issues with it at all

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Yeah.. when they were starting out they had a lifetime license option. I bought it many years back, and they still honour it.. Great outfit..

dragotx said:

dragotx said:

Years ago, when they were first starting to make inroads into the market they had a perpetual liscence.  Even ran some really good deals (got mine for $14 one valentines).  Not sure if they still offer perpetual or not though. 

• Write IdeaWrite Idea Posts: 292

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, everyone! 

I really hope DAZ implements something to prevent this in the future moving forward.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,410
    dragotx said:
    Sevrin said:

Malwarebytes just blocked the site outright.  Getting the premium version was one of my better security investments, especially since it's a one-time expense.

I had to remove the Malwarebytes real-time-protection -- it had a bad habit of removing the owner and privileges information from files, so you couldn't delete them and couldn't take ownership of them.  It did it to both Daz Studio and DIM so they couldn't be updated.  And it didn't give any indication that it was done by malwarebytes -- I only discovered it by chance from a discussion of Malwarebytes.  Very disappointing, as Malwarebytes is normally excellent.

That's very, very odd behavior.  I've never seen any AV program do that.  About the only reason I could see if if the files were flagged as a threat for some reason.  I've been using Malwarebytes for years, and never had any issues with it at all

Or maybe to prevent takeover by Ransomware ?

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,815

I really hope DAZ implements something to prevent this in the future moving forward.

They might want to think about using Sucuri Sitecheck or something similar that can spot links to known bad sites and other indicators of malicious code embeds. (I have no connection to Sucuri, I've just used their free scanner occasionally when cleaning up compromised WordPress sites, and they seem to know what they're doing).

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I believe the shop itself is running on Magento, not Wordpress (allthough the blog and some pages are)

I do hope they are using some scanner and/or firewall, the site is way too big a target not to have something in place.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,815

Yes, the DAZ site is based on Magento. However, as I understand it, Sucuri -- or a similar service -- should be able to scan pretty much any website for this type of nastiness, no matter what the underlying CMS (they can crawl the generated pages looking for known problems). I was just saying that my own experience of using Sucuri's tools has been in the context of doing Wordpress site cleanups or installs for clients, where I've found them to be useful.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,749
    Sevrin said:

Currently I have a problem with MWB blocking exe files all the time, and it doesn't ask you first even if it's set to do so.  The latest DS and DIM updates for example were blocked because they weren't allowed  to overwrite the old exe files by MWB.  Had to shut it down to continue installation.  I've complained but they still haven't fixed it.