Canadian Mountie

Could we please get a realistic Mountie uniform, and perhaps a sled and supplies?

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

https://www.sharecg.com/v/42635/related/11/Poser/Mountie-Set-for-M4 will need a little converting to get onto Genesis

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Control of the trademarks related to the RCMP, including the image of the red uniform Mountie belong to the RCMP and commercial reproduction requires permission.

The following cannot be reproduced at all:

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/topics/government-communications/federal-identity-requirements/legal-protection-official-symbols-government-canada.html

Mattymanx said:

Control of the trademarks related to the RCMP, including the image of the red uniform Mountie belong to the RCMP and commercial reproduction requires permission.

The following cannot be reproduced at all:

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/topics/government-communications/federal-identity-requirements/legal-protection-official-symbols-government-canada.html

What if I get a note from the Queen?

• So apparently, the Mountie uniform released to ShareCG was a violation of Canadian law.  I am thinking that whoever created it was from another country and was unaware of such laws.

Good thing I downloaded it just now, in case it gets taken down.

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2020

However, I wonder if using the likeness of an RCMP officer in red uniform was not a problem when they produced Dudley Do-Right cartoons back in the 1960s, along with older shows and movies, and trademark issues were taken more lightly back then, unlike today?

The outfit is still on ShareCG as I post this.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,798

I downloaded that freebie a while ago, but it didn't convert well to G8 at all. Maybe I need to give it another try. If someone has success, please let us know how you did it!

However, I wonder if using the likeness of an RCMP officer in red uniform was not a problem when they produced Dudley Do-Right cartoons back in the 1960s, along with older shows and movies, and trademark issues were taken more lightly back then, unlike today?

They're not prohibited from being used.  They're prohibited from being used without permission, just like most any other country's official emblems.  But yeah, they've only had an international license since the 90s.  There was a whole CBS TV series in that period around a mountie character, and maybe it was the popularity of that show which pushed them to secure their rights.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,020
    Sevrin said:

They're not prohibited from being used.  They're prohibited from being used without permission, just like most any other country's official emblems.  But yeah, they've only had an international license since the 90s.  There was a whole CBS TV series in that period around a mountie character, and maybe it was the popularity of that show which pushed them to secure their rights.

Nope. It had something to do with "D" trying to monopolize on it which didn't fly well with them. And so happily they discovered that yes they had a copyright/trademark/whatever on it and they stopped "D" from doing that.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    Sevrin said:

Nope. It had something to do with "D" trying to monopolize on it which didn't fly well with them. And so happily they discovered that yes they had a copyright/trademark/whatever on it and they stopped "D" from doing that.

Did the owners of Dudley Do-Right actually try to go after someone else trying to use that uniform? Ha! That's too greedy and funny (well srt of, since they lost) too. I remember prior cartoons and live action shows to that one using that uniform, US civil war uniforms, and all sorts of other stereotypical clothing, official and unofficial, because how else are you going to satirize or editorialize or even factually state something regardling those things, without actually mentioning those things? I'll leave it at that.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

As I recall, a certain Big Media Entity wanted to put "Mouse Ears" on the Sacred Stetson. Canadians weren't having that, so ... But I think it's okay for fan art, commercial stuff would need a licence. Probably not from the Queen, though. wink

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,020
    Sevrin said:

Did the owners of Dudley Do-Right actually try to go after someone else trying to use that uniform? Ha! That's too greedy and funny (well srt of, since they lost) too. I remember prior cartoons and live action shows to that one using that uniform, US civil war uniforms, and all sorts of other stereotypical clothing, official and unofficial, because how else are you going to satirize or editorialize or even factually state something regardling those things, without actually mentioning those things? I'll leave it at that.

Um, my "D" did not stand for "Dudley Do-Right" ... it was the R.C.M.P. that went after the offenders. And yes "D" is known to have "Big Ears."

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2020

So what did "D" represent?

And I do remember other cartoons that had episodes set in Canada with R.C.M.P. officers wearing the traditional red coats.  DiC Productions had episodes with Mounties in them.  Prime examples include "Inspector Gadget", in the episode titled "Tree Guesses" (and "Inspector Gadget" was partly produced in Canada, I believe); and the 1980s "Dennis the Menace" cartoon had an episode titled "Dennis of the Yukon", where there were Mounties, and even Dennis himself was made an honorary Mountie.

However, I am not sure if there were any episodes of Hanna-Barbera cartoons set in Canada and had Mounties involved.  The only Hanna-Barbera episode I know that was set in Canada is the "Watch Out! The Williwaw!" episode of "The Scooby-Doo Show", but I am not sure if there were any Mounties involved in the end.

EDIT: Just checked Scoobypedia, there seemed to be no R.C.M.P. officers involved in "Watch Out! The Willawaw!"  I am thinking Hanna-Barbera did obey the laws regarding copyright vs. the R.C.M.P.'s trademark uniform.

EDIT AGAIN :I found, on social media, an episode of "Huckleberry Hound" titled "Tricky Trapper", which did involve Mounties in their traditional uniform.  But then again, that was way back in the 1950s or early 1960s, when copyright laws were taken very lightly, unlike today.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

The RCMP hired Disney to control the copyright for 5 years:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mountie-no-longer-disney-s-1.190139

Sevrin said:

Um, my "D" did not stand for "Dudley Do-Right" ... it was the R.C.M.P. that went after the offenders. And yes "D" is known to have "Big Ears."

Interesting. Well that makes me happy as the original creators of Dudley Do-Right didn't strike me as so out of control in trying to restrict access to everyday life experiences for storytelling like Disney has been trying to do. laugh

Mattymanx said:

So the Canadian taxpayers asked "Why are we paying Disney to profit off using our police force uniform and told their government to stop?" Smart move.

• KarthKarth Posts: 709

Thanks for the hint :-) 

and yes my motherlanguage is not english. I can read english, but i don´t see in threads like this, if something is sarcasm or not , or read and understand things inbetween the lines.

So...

In case i did something wrong more than 10 years ago, i am deleting everything.

Nowadays it seems to be wrong and expensive to look into a mirror ;-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,890
    edited July 2020
    Karth said:

Thanks for the hint :-) 

and yes my motherlanguage is not english. I can read english, but i don´t see in threads like this, if something is sarcasm or not , or read and understand things inbetween the lines.

So...

In case i did something wrong more than 10 years ago, i am deleting everything.

Nowadays it seems to be wrong and expensive to look into a mirror ;-)

I could not see anything wrong, you were not profitting, no different to someone doing a painting of a mountie and it was just clothing and only 3D at that not even a costume someone human could wear, Google shows plenty of those for sale.

a number of my Apps have the Canadian maple leaf along with other international flags in them too - Animated!

taking the comments of ordinary users on a peer to peer forum as the basis for the legality of your creation is not an accurate representation of stuff cheeky

you were only sharing 3D mesh art for others to use for art not making a Disney production with merchandise sales

those laws are regarding mass produced merchandise like coffee cups and other kitsch not art

simply adding not for commercial use to your ShareCG upload would have sufficed 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

Karth, thanks for the freebies! The Mountie set is cool and accurate enough for cosplay but I don't think anyone would confuse it 100% with an actual uniform so I think you're safe enough if you simply label it as not for commercial use. Restricting it to fan art only like most of the superhero and sci-fi inspired stuff that's out there should be okay but whatever makes you feel more comfortable doing. Good luck!

• StoicStoic Posts: 131

Looks like Karth deleted the mountie & all of her sharecg freebies.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,798

oh man... crying

Well, I think I've downloaded everything I wanted, including the mountie uniform just in time.

• Mattymanx said:

Interesting how the story changes over the years. I don't have the source to quote let alone a link to share but that is definitely not how it was first told.