My Life is a cartoon!

I just got off the phone with my Dad. I let him know what happened, and he had to get to a medical appointment. I tried to turn on the big TV, but the smaller one turned on instead. For several minutes I engaged in a Wack a Mole game. One TV went on, another went off. Turn off one, and another turns on. I got really frustrated, and finally just laughed my ass off.

Yeah my iMac died. But I didn't lose any data. My external hard drives are fine. That's just my crazy life. I should make a cartoon of my life.

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166

Block the infrared receptor on one of the TVs

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I have a sound bar that turns on when you turn on the fan, but the speaker bar remote won't turn on the fan, it will however turn on a bunch of under cabinet puck lights if you are in a certain part of the living room, the remote for those activate the oscillating feature on the fan if it's on.
    The remotes are cheapie Bluetooth units, or claim to be... its kind of annoying because with the fan if you forget and leave the base unit for the sound bar on and it's late at night you run the risk of accidentally blasting whatever is on TV at full volume... the TV volume is independent of the speaker so whatever the speaker was last set at is what it wakes up to.

Last night I turned on the fan while a commercial for Greyhound was playing... 3 AM and a WW2 destroyer was firing its guns in my living room.

Whats actually weird is we have three fans that are the same, and the remotes are interchangeable and work equally well with each other, but only two turn on the speaker... unfortunately the one that doesn't, always ends up going missing.

I love technology.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733
    edited July 2020

I have 3 Sharp brand Roku TVs in the living room. They all use the same style Roku remote. I use the 55" TV for just watching TV! The 45" TV is a second monitor for whatever computer is on the big computer desk. The 33" TV allows me to watch TV while I sit at the large computer desk. I don't want to block the remote. I use them all at various times. I will likely by new remotes for two of the TVs, and pair the respective TVs with them. In the meantime, this has turned into a gleeful source of delight. I needed a good belly laugh. 

When my iMac died, I was immensely depressed. Then I took stock of things. The loss wasn't so severe.  Now I'm thinking of how to create a cartoon about my crazy life.

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...ah the "innertube of things".  I actually don't mind having to get up and manually turn things on or off as that way everythign works the way it's suppsoed to.

edited July 2020

Remember the good-ol days when you had to get off the couch, walk over to the TV and "clunk-clunk-clunk" 12* times to turn the manual channel selector. all the way around to see what was on the other two channels?

*VHF channels 2 thru 13 (and possibly an extra stop for the UHF band where you could then spin the UHF dial like a radio knob for several minutes  to try to home in on the 5 fuzzy channels out of 81 possibilities.  And then of course there were the rich people who had an antenna rotator mounted to their 50 foot mast on top of their roof  so that they could turn the array of yagi antennas toward various cities.  Sorry, only one city at a time.  Two TVs in the house would have to watch the same program.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Remember the good-ol days when you had to get off the couch, walk over to the TV and "clunk-clunk-clunk" 12* times to turn the manual channel selector. all the way around to see what was on the other two channels?

*VHF channels 2 thru 13 (and possibly an extra stop for the UHF band where you could then spin the UHF dial like a radio knob for several minutes  to try to home in on the 5 fuzzy channels out of 81 possibilities.  And then of course there were the rich people who had an antenna rotator mounted to their 50 foot mast on top of their roof  so that they could turn the array of yagi antennas toward various cities.  Sorry, only one city at a time.  Two TVs in the house would have to watch the same program.

I remember my uncle in Connecticut used to have one of those rotary antennas... I thought that was the coolest thing... he was an engineer, so he had lots of cool stuff back then. 

edited July 2020

Complaint: OK, I just finished watching the first season of "The Witcher" on NetFlix.  Can somebody please explain to me what it was all about?frown  I finally grasped that things were happening in different time periods but the plot layout was so jumbled and unexplained it was painful to force myself to watch.  Even just a title card now and then that could say "10 years ago" or "20 years from now", would have helped.  And the same people seemed to appear in different roles, and you couldn't trust your impressions of people.  Bad people became good and good people became bad and the hero was always looking for some girl, yet he was tied up over and over again with a different girl, and, and and my brain hurts.  Now, I find out that there's going to be a 2nd season?  Just a jumble of short stories poorly stiched together like a teenager's nightmare.  Ugh...indecision  Good special effects though.  But when will they learn that special effects alone don't make a good show.

Oh, my gosh, yes, I remember TVs before we had remotes. I remember rabbit ears on the TV set! I believe Dad had a rotating antenna on the roof of the house. Maybe we fought to see who could handle the controls. Our first TV around 1955 was a big 24" "Tube" table top Black & White TV. It sat atop a rather thin wrought iron stand. I was always afraid the stand would break. That old TV lasted at least into the late 1960s. By that time, my brothers and I were close to growing up, and our parents kicked us out of the house. We kept coming back! LeatherGryphon, I know what you mean about Witcher. I found it quite confusing, but then I am easily confused. I don't even remember what happened, and I didn't understand it anyway.

Oh, isn't the answer to Life: "42?!"laugh

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,645

Complaint: OK, I just finished watching the first season of "The Witcher" on NetFlix.  Can somebody please explain to me what it was all about?frown  I finally grasped that things were happening in different time periods but the plot layout was so jumbled and unexplained it was painful to force myself to watch.  Even just a title card now and then that could say "10 years ago" or "20 years from now", would have helped.  And the same people seemed to appear in different roles, and you couldn't trust your impressions of people.  Bad people became good and good people became bad and the hero was always looking for some girl, yet he was tied up over and over again with a different girl, and, and and my brain hurts.  Now, I find out that there's going to be a 2nd season?  Just a jumble of short stories poorly stiched together like a teenager's nightmare.  Ugh...indecision  Good special effects though.  But when will they learn that special effects alone don't make a good show.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline/Netflix

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited July 2020

at least your neighbours garage remote doesn't share a signal with anything 

I have heard some crazy stories 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

In a former life, I was part of a family. I had an old remote that formerly worked for an old VCR. I no longer had the VCR. I let our girls have the remote for a toy. Each time they pushed a button, it affected the neighbors TV! In respect to our neighbor, I again took control of the remote.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,494

So I have this fancy Harmony remote control. The plan is it turns everything on and off with one button so you don't have to deal with a bunch of remote controls. And we have a ton of stuff hooked to this TV. Everything related to video is connected to my recording device, which is connected to the TV. While a power outage causes every other device to stay turned off, a power outage causes the recorder to turn on by default.

Now imagine if you will, a two-second power outage makes this recording device turn on while everything else stays off. So when I press the button to watch TV, all of this equipment turns on and then the one device connecting them all to the TV, turns off.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558

I've spent most of my long life with just 4 TV channels to choose from in the era before digital. They all put us to bed around midnight with a test-pattern and went off air until around 6 in the morning. I was born the year TV started in my country.

The catch is, now we have hundreds of channels, 95% of it is rubbish or infomercials and very low quality mind-numbing trash. The paradox of choice where more is less.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

When I was a kid we were super poor and only had an ancient TV that someone had thrown away. It had a "rabbit ears" antenna but that was broken so we had to use a wire clothes hanger to try and get any reception. Even with the hanger, it struggled to get any channels, so my stepdad would make my little brother stand next to the TV and hold the wire hanger because, for some reason, the TV would get better reception when someone was holding onto the hanger. lol I felt so bad for my brother who had to stand there for ages while my stepdad watched Night Court. 

Perhaps, but in which number base?frown

edited July 2020

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline/Netflix

Thanks for the attempt to clear things up with a map to the timeline.  But it didn't help very much.sad  I don't remember half of those events or even half the people.  I remember the handsome witcher with the long silver/blonde hair and colorful eyes.  I remember the hunchback urchin girl who was turned beautiful & barren by magic and I remember the woman who was head of the magic castle.  I remember people jumping through magic portals, I remember a golden dragon and some bloody battles.  I even remember the stupid annoying minstrel singer, but the rest of it was all a blur.  The names of people, places and things didn't help at all.  I'm afraid I'd have to watch the series all over again, and that isn't going to happen.  Apparently I'm hopeless when it comes to piecing together dream fragments.indecision  I'm sure it means a lot to people who've read the books.  This series seems to suffer the same problems as the movie "Dune" decades ago.  Not clear enough development.  "Dune" at least had an excuse, it had less than three hours to explain what was essentially a complex religio/political thesis.  This "Witcher" series had 10 hours to present a bloody fairytale and still failed me.  Which is disappointing because even my ancient brain was able to grasp the whole "Game of Thrones" series, so it's not impossible to translate a complex book to film.  But "Witcher" left me in the dust.sad  

edited July 2020

NylonGirl, I'd seen those Harmony remotes.... I was always afraid to get one.... Now I know why! Fred9803, I know what you mean. I just turned on the TV, looked at the available stuff, and groaned. I honestly hate most of the "stuff" that's offered. It's been awhile since I found anything interesting on Hulu, Netflix, and Disney+ as well! Divamakeup, that is such a classic story! LeatherGryphon, I have no idea. I agree with you about Witcher. I might not even bother watching the next season.

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2020

I just got off the phone with my Dad. I let him know what happened, and he had to get to a medical appointment. I tried to turn on the big TV, but the smaller one turned on instead. For several minutes I engaged in a Wack a Mole game. One TV went on, another went off. Turn off one, and another turns on. I got really frustrated, and finally just laughed my ass off.

Yeah my iMac died. But I didn't lose any data. My external hard drives are fine. That's just my crazy life. I should make a cartoon of my life.

Oddly enough, I was up at 3 am this morning, went to the kitchen for some water, and as I walked past the living room tv, it turned on. First thing I did was looked toward the coffee table to see if one of the kitties stepped on the remote (wouldn't be the first time). Not a cat in sight, and I looked in every adjacent room. To say that I was slightly creeped out for a second is an understatement. LOL Anyway, hubby has since deduced that it was never turned off since the last time it was on and that the Roku updated and popped a picture up on the screen again. :P

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited July 2020

....yeah our parents had remotes for the television when I was growing up.  They were us kids. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Laurie, I can just imagine that creepy feeling! KyotoKid, my parents just shoved us kids into a different room so they could have the living room to themselves. Once we ended up in the basement/garage near a drain. At another home we were in the two car garage.

..that kind of banishment only occurred if we did something "wrong", 

My brothers and I were invtroverts. We kept to ourselves most of the time, and we fought all the time.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558
    AllenArt said:

Oddly enough, I was up at 3 am this morning, went to the kitchen for some water, and as I walked past the living room tv, it turned on.

That would freak me out.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2020
    fred9803 said:
    AllenArt said:

Oddly enough, I was up at 3 am this morning, went to the kitchen for some water, and as I walked past the living room tv, it turned on.

That would freak me out.

It DID freak me out! And I'm still not quite convinced of my husband's explanation either. We have a Roku in our bedroom and when it updates and reboots, the Roku logo comes up and makes a noise. This turned on to the start screen. Was very weird. LOL. I don't doubt that it was still on from the last time that it was watched, but I have NO idea what suddenly made the screen come on as I was looking at it. I mean, it made me stop in my tracks. LOL laugh

Post edited by AllenArt on

You gotta watch out for those Roku devices. My Dad bought two Sharp Roku TVs for me and I inherited one from my brother. They are haunting me!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited July 2020

Perhaps, but in which number base?frown

64 in base 2 would make more sense as a cosmic number.  The 64 Hexagrams of the old I Ching are 100% identical to a 64 bit binary sequence.  Our DNA has 64 codons as well.  A game of chess has 64 squares, a coincidence?

iching_base2.png
    692 x 1172 - 466K
    Post edited by Taoz on

You gotta watch out for those Roku devices. My Dad bought two Sharp Roku TVs for me and I inherited one from my brother. They are haunting me!

...modern day Twonkies? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KJ1xRhZ3Y