Would there be an interest in...[Commercial]

AabacusAabacus Posts: 403
edited July 2020 in The Commons

[Would there be an interest in...]...a series of products that brings together other products in one scene?

For example I have spent far too long building "basement shelves" "full booksheves" and other high effort scenes.  

Like poses but for environments.  

Cluttered basement, organized basement, clean office, cluttered office, messy trailer (for the trailer/trailer park), cluttered yard, decorated house, large space battle, populated theater, etc.  

So you'd get a readme that has a list of the products you need to own to replicate the scene along with notes and recommendations on how to modify/change things. 

I'm not thinking it'd be an expensive product. 

I would think that the other artists would appreciate something like this because they could sell more of their products. Just my thought though. Maybe there's a reason to not do that.

I'm attaching an early example. I haven't finished it but this took a lot longer than it looks.  

Any thoughts?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't really know where to post this question as the commercial thread seemed to be mostly focused on completed or upcoming packages. I'm about 100 miles before that in the...I wonder category.

Edit 2: Adding a basement bookshelf example that's loaded. It uses 6 products. One for the shelf, and 5 more for the items. Should be things many folks have in their library already.

Home.png
1280 x 720 - 2M
Loaded Book Case.png
979 x 1268 - 715K
Post edited by Aabacus on

Comments

• Is this for the Daz store?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

It has been done

https://www.daz3d.com/inside-lindays-daz-studio-iray-scenes

So its certainly marketable.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

There might be some interest.  The more purchases are required, and more expensive the purchases, the less interest you'd expect to find, though.  Like with Lindsay's product, there would probably need to be some unique items included with the product to give it a value that's greater than the sum of the required parts, though.   Otherwise someone could just look at your promos and reproduce them on their own.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I definately like that living room but I'm more apt to buy a product that adds populated interiors to sets like New York Brownstones, New York Stores, Old London, & French Village. I've bough quite a lot of furniture and business / store sets to populate interiors lately.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

If the price is reasonable, sure. 

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

Is this for the Daz store?

I guess so...what other options would there be?

Sevrin said:

There might be some interest.  The more purchases are required, and more expensive the purchases, the less interest you'd expect to find, though.  Like with Lindsay's product, there would probably need to be some unique items included with the product to give it a value that's greater than the sum of the required parts, though.   Otherwise someone could just look at your promos and reproduce them on their own.

Lindsay's stuff is awesome. Really nice. Making me rethink the scope of what I was considering. I was more thinking just the objects but she has cameras and lighting and other items that were not part of my initial thougt. 

I agree about the number of products and expense. I was thinking about including different tiers in the packages. (1-5 packages; 6 - 10; and 10 +) .

I definately like that living room but I'm more apt to buy a product that adds populated interiors to sets like New York Brownstones, New York Stores, Old London, & French Village. I've bough quite a lot of furniture and business / store sets to populate interiors lately.

Thanks about the living room. It took freaking forever! lol. 

Your point is what got me thinking about it. Very rudemantary storefronts. Somewhat bare interiors. Great for hiding in backgrounds but if you want to do some close up work you've got a bit of a task ahead of you.   

Not to take anything away from the packages. They're great at what they are.

I will continue to noodle...I appreciated your feedback!

Cybersox said:

Honestly, I really was hoping for something in the $5 or less range for something like, I don't know, 10 full bookshelves, or 20...I don't know. I need to do some research.  

I am certainly not skilled enough to do $20. lol.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Aabacus said:
    Cybersox said:

Honestly, I really was hoping for something in the $5 or less range for something like, I don't know, 10 full bookshelves, or 20...I don't know. I need to do some research.  

I don't think DAZ would sell anything that had a base price of just $5 (I am not counting cheap PC+ items since they also have a base price of $15+). There are a few items that do have a $5 base price, but these are all older RNDA items, that came from the store when they took it over.

Regarding scene presets I think there would be buyers it it can set up a nice looking set which would otherwise take people ages to do themselves, even if there was no "value adds". I mean you could argue a pose set has no value adds, as it works on a base free figure, but plenty of people buy pose sets as it saves time, just like your product would.

You might want to try setting up scenes for cheaper/popular DAZ Originals, populated with PC+ props, as these might gain more interest as people would be more likely to own the required products.

Havos said:
    Aabacus said:
    Cybersox said:

I don't think DAZ would sell anything that had a base price of just $5 (I am not counting cheap PC+ items since they also have a base price of $15+). There are a few items that do have a $5 base price, but these are all older RNDA items, that came from the store when they took it over.

Regarding scene presets I think there would be buyers it it can set up a nice looking set which would otherwise take people ages to do themselves, even if there was no "value adds". I mean you could argue a pose set has no value adds, as it works on a base free figure, but plenty of people buy pose sets as it saves time, just like your product would.

You might want to try setting up scenes for cheaper/popular DAZ Originals, populated with PC+ props, as these might gain more interest as people would be more likely to own the required products.

Interesting point on the pricing! I'm pretty garbage at sales so your point is very helpful! You are honing in on exactly what I'm thinking. One person takes a ton of time to just build something so that others dont have to do it. Then provide it in a way that is easy for them to bend and twist to their needs. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Havos said:
    Aabacus said:
    Cybersox said:

I think they would it's just that $5 items don't discount nearly as frequently or for as high a discount percentage.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Havos said:
    Aabacus said:
    Cybersox said:

The difference with pose sets is that they don't normally require that you own a specific assortment of other assets.  With the exception of some sets meant to be used with certain props, like guns, phones or cleaning supplies, all you need to supply is a character to make them work.  Even if they're intended to be used with specific environments, they'll work anywhere.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

I also like the idea and asked about it years ago- too.

One pitfall would be the marketing and ANY IMAGE THAT SHOWS A LIBRARY, a buyer would normally expect to get all the books and the shelves and, and...

This would be more like a pose set that just arranges your already-owned assets.

Maybe closer to dreamlight who sells some light set ups for other products.

Their line of products get confusing as well - as it's hard to tell if you're buying lights, an HDRI, a 3D object, or a billboard.

-------------

What I would rather have are the props in a useable configuration.

Like piles of clothes....

A heap of bodies...

Trash and litter strewn about.

Piles of books (I've already got those)

Piles of shoes....

I would love a modern flock of birds..Ravens/crows in a row..seagulls, terns, pigeons..

Someone could really go crazy with rats/mice....I mean a horde of them....running down a tunnel.....

----------------

What I do wish, is that when a unique character comes out (the kind that is not based on a Genesis figure and so, cannot use poses) these were more unique pose products available.

Vendors used to do that, not really anymore.

I also like the idea and asked about it years ago- too.

One pitfall would be the marketing and ANY IMAGE THAT SHOWS A LIBRARY, a buyer would normally expect to get all the books and the shelves and, and...

This would be more like a pose set that just arranges your already-owned assets.

Maybe closer to dreamlight who sells some light set ups for other products.

Their line of products get confusing as well - as it's hard to tell if you're buying lights, an HDRI, a 3D object, or a billboard.

-------------

What I would rather have are the props in a useable configuration.

Like piles of clothes....

A heap of bodies...

Trash and litter strewn about.

Piles of books (I've already got those)

Piles of shoes....

I would love a modern flock of birds..Ravens/crows in a row..seagulls, terns, pigeons..

Someone could really go crazy with rats/mice....I mean a horde of them....running down a tunnel.....

----------------

What I do wish, is that when a unique character comes out (the kind that is not based on a Genesis figure and so, cannot use poses) these were more unique pose products available.

Vendors used to do that, not really anymore.

So glad you get the idea! LOL. I was afraid I was way way too far out. Haha.  

Any thoughts on what bookcases? Do you do a row at a time so people ca place them wherevver or do you include the case?  Or maybe just do a few?

edited July 2020

My memory is foggy, but I think there is a product in the store already that does (rows of) books.

Either that or maybe somebody had a script. It's barely there as a memory so I don't know if that's trustworthy information. lol

I know when I search books, in my library, I get tons of results, Rows of books and stacks so some product in the store has rows of books.

[probably one of the many library products]

- yeah, I think the books thing should be considered solved.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on

My memory is foggy, but I think there is a product in the store already that does (rows of) books.

Either that or maybe somebody had a script. It's barely there as a memory so I don't know if that's trustworthy information. lol

I know when I search books, in my library, I get tons of results, Rows of books and stacks so some product in the store has rows of books.

lol!!! Okay, fair enough! I did the same and I think you're right!

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Is this what you were thinking about?: https://www.daz3d.com/stackem-up

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    Havos said:

Is this what you were thinking about?: https://www.daz3d.com/stackem-up

There's this too: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/273136/books-for-those-empty-virtual-bookshelves-at-last-a-ds4-version/p1

Yeah, I was going to say maybe it was a fress script linked in a thread, but that thread was it.

The Stackem-up is a great find.(and for once, I don't already own a product someone was suggested as a solution)

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,099
    edited July 2020

Griffin Avid said:

Ken has flocks of both flying and ground feeding birds over at the H store.

Post edited by butterflyfish on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Not in a row, but dzfire has a flock of crows/seagulls https://www.daz3d.com/the-flock-gulls-and-crows