SILO Modeling For Beginners (Advanced Users Welcome Too)

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I am still not seeing a darned thing on Facebook other than Linux chat. No link to an update, and I'm not seeing it on nevercenter.com either. I didn't do Steam.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Me neither. Why are those on Steam getting an update but the rest of us aren't?

edited June 2014

Time to post extreme displeasure on their Facebook page.
    EDIT: Done. Had to put it under their Linux post.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Seems rather crazy that only steam users have the update, hope they get back to you soon Novica.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

By post 8, I thought you were making a Silo with Silo. Looked good, just needed the tape readers attached to the core. lol.

On a serious note, I had Blender crash on me as others described. I garbed the light and tried to move it. Don't know if it was XP, limited ram, or the lacking Graphics card. It must be something to do with whatever the user interface uses to make what you see in the program (3Dfx/OpenGL/ActiveX/Whatever3D). The graphics cant keep up with the user input, and it falls on it's face hard.

This is the First time I have herd of a Silo other then the Farm and "File Storage" variety.

siloibm1_joke.jpg
    609 x 434 - 80K
    edited December 1969

No kiddin'- every time I type in Silo this-or-that, I end up on the farm somewhere.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited June 2014

So I sent an email to nevercenter asking about the update, and they replied that yes there is an update that will be released and the reason it was released on steam first was to coincide with their summer sale, and will be released on nevercenter just hasn't officially been announced quite yet. They so kindly gave me a link to d'l the new update tho,so those of you who are waiting it is coming!!

EDIT: just installed the update and my Silo nnow finally opens in perspective view..yayyyy..so I know something was updated :)

Post edited by Kharma on
    edited December 1969

I'll have to go check the Facebook page and see if they ever replied. :) I can wait for the download, but I just might contact/bug them too. It's a bad business practice to do updates for some and not for others, and I full intend to tell them that! (And probably won't get the dl link, lol)

edited December 1969

If anyone is interested Silo is on sale at Steam until 30th June. 50% off.

edited December 1969

Wendy, over in the old Silo discussion, where it was mentioned you have to be signed in to Steam to use Silo- do you know if that is the case? I don't use Steam so I haven't a clue.

edited December 1969

I think you propably do. My son has a Steam a/c for his games and he thinks you probably have to sign in to launch the program.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2014

For users of the standalone (non-steam) version, the Silo trial download on their site is 2.3. Just download that and your registration should be automatically picked up as long as you have the previous Silo version installed.

Kharma: I don't know why they told you they were still waiting on it. I downloaded the Silo trial yesterday and it was the updated version.

Novica said:
    Wendy, over in the old Silo discussion, where it was mentioned you have to be signed in to Steam to use Silo- do you know if that is the case? I don't use Steam so I haven't a clue.

Yes. Steam's version of Silo requires Steam to be on and running. Once logged in though through the app, you can set it to offline mode (it's still running, you're just not logged in and connected to friends list and communities).

Whether or not spending the extra cash on the non-steam version is worth not having a 3rd party DRM app running is up to you (I'm a gamer anyways so I've had Steam for years, I just have yet to get Silo LOL).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Whether or not spending the extra cash on the non-steam version is worth not having a 3rd party DRM app running is up to you (I'm a gamer anyways so I've had Steam for years, I just have yet to get Silo LOL).

Thanks for the info.
    Get Silo so you can teach me- you're a pro at anything you try :)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

The only difference between the Steam version and the one direct from Nevercenter is that the Nevercenter one will launch a lot faster as it does not require steam running in the background.

edited June 2014

Novica said:

Haha! Oh if only that were true. As many times as I've opened Aartform Curvy 3D, I still look at it like a deer in headlights. Thanks for the vote of confidence though! :D

I'm hoping to get both Silo and Allegorithmic's Substance Painter indie package some time this week before the sales end.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Novica said:

Haha! Oh if only that were true. As many times as I've opened Aartform Curvy 3D, I still look at it like a deer in headlights. Thanks for the vote of confidence though! :D

I'm hoping to get both Silo and Allegorithmic's Substance Painter indie package some time this week before the sales end.

I ditched Curvy for Silo. But to be fair, I didn't Curvy too much.
    If an alien race were monitoring these threads, they'd just shake their heads.
    "Do you Curvy or Silo?"
    "Silo. What about Light Wave?"
    "Maya. Forget Nuke, expensive."

They'd picture a voluptuous gal, a farm, a beam of light, an ancient tribe, and a bomb.

edited December 1969

I tried Silo's trial, and it would take some massive getting used to. I keep trying to use Blender hotkeys. lol

Novica said:
    They'd picture a voluptuous gal, a farm, a beam of light, an ancient tribe, and a bomb.

rofl! Sounds like a party!
    edited December 1969

Go off topic a minute- if you have the time. How do you like Blender? What do you primarily use it for? (I've heard all about it, but frankly don't have time to tackle anything more than DAZ and Silo.)

edited June 2014

Since I don't have Zbrush, I use Blender for sculpting (mainly figure morphs) and trying to learn polygon modeling (I have a CGCookie membership). I'm still learning everything, and get caught in situations where I don't know to look for something since I don't know it's a 'thing', so I've probably done things with harder methods than they should be done since I don't know what I'm doing. lol

It does get daunting since Blender is a full featured app. I don't do animations, I haven't used it to render yet, I haven't dove into it's node editor, and I don't make games. Sometimes I just want something that's just modeling, so I can just focus on learning forming and altering shapes, without everything else in my face for me to wonder if I need it or not for what I'm doing.

edited December 1969

@Vaskania: I am not sure but the email from Nevercenter just said they would be announcing the update soon and gave a link to d/l the new version. I installed it but altho it opened correctly with v2.3 I don't think it deleted 2.2 as it installed to a new directory and I can now open either version...weird.

On the topic of other versions of modellers, I have tried Hexagon and curvy3d, I also have Blender (which I Haven't tried out yet) and Sculptris which seems to be a watered down version of ZBrush. I am going to wait and see what ZBrush 5 brings and maybe test it out, of course depending on cost of program, I am sorta testing the waters on them to see which one fits my workflow the best. The price hasn't been too much on most or they have been free, or have a free trial version. I am liking Silo tho for the most part it has been very user friendly

edited December 1969

Surface Snapping

I'm reading the "3D Modeling In Silo" book and there are parts of it that are driving me bananas. They tell how to activate Surface Snapping, then don't tell what to do with it! For heaven's sake. So this post will be what I'm finding by doing research on my own. Any experienced users, feel free to add your knowledge.

So this post will have additions and I will add it to the Index on the first page so you can easily find it again.

* You find Surface Snapping in Selection>Snapping>Surface Snapping.

*Used for retopology. Retopology is the process of rebuilding poor or unusable topology. (Topology is "the overall flow of polygons in a given model.")

*Snapping, Topology, and Surface tools are major Retopology tools in Silo.

*It says you can build a new shape and it stays connected to the existing model but will be a separate model in the scene.

So far, here's what I've found.

No sound. YouTube. Surface Snapping in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1Wo7SWqD4

A tutorial with screenshots.
    http://www.silo3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6917

edited December 1969

Surface snapping would be the equivalent of what others call shrinkwrapping.

edited December 1969

You should write a book. Bet it would be fun to read :)

edited December 1969

Another site, "R", but related to Silo so going to mention it. There is a Silo tutorial in the prime classics being offered through July 7th (oldies but goodies being brought back, or so it says.)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited July 2014

Greetings,
    Just to note, http://www.macheist.com is having a sale that includes Silo. While it's mostly for Mac users, the Silo license is for any platform, and the nanoBundle is $19.99, for Silo and a bunch of other applications. Even if you'll never use the other stuff, it's still one of the better prices for Silo.

I posted in the Commons about it, but I thought I'd note it here. I bought Silo for Windows via Steam a Christmas ago, but I'm totally buying this because I want to use it on my Macs...

Edit:

Novica said:
    Another site, "R", but related to Silo so going to mention it. There is a Silo tutorial in the prime classics being offered through July 7th (oldies but goodies being brought back, or so it says.)
    I have a few of those tutorials, and they're pretty decent. They give a pretty good idea how to do stuff, but you kind of have to have at least a little bit of modeling understanding in the first place. It's fascinating to see how sub-D is used _constantly_ to make objects. There's an example of snapping, I think (I'd have to re-watch and check, to be sure) in The Coat tutorial, where they put a breast pocket on the coat. It's pretty slick...

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
    edited December 1969

OMGosh, that's a great deal for MAC users- so much stuff!! Silo alone is so worth that price. Thanks so much for mentioning it for other folks!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I posted in Morgan's thread about this earlier. I saw a post at RDNA about this and went and grabbed it, as I too don't have any use for Steam or its proprietary software.

As Vaskania already mentioned, I still had my version 2.2 trial that I played with last year installed, and it took the new Serial Number, so when I downloaded the new version 2.3 trial at Nevercenter, it automatically recognized the Serial Number I received from MacHeist when I installed it side-by-side with Silo 2.2.

I haven't looked at the Release Notes, so not sure what the updates were. I had no problem opening the 2.2 version in Perspective view as some mentioned, so am curious to see what all has been updated, and I'm PLEASED AS PUNCH that I have a working copy of Silo so I can play with Fugazi's tutorials again. I never did finish those that I bought when I was playing in the trial version last year.

Oh and Vaskania, yeah, I was ALWAYS confusing the hotkeys from Blender when I was working in Silo, and vice-a-versa.

edited December 1969

The funny thing with me is after working in Silo and holding down the ALT key to move around the viewport, when I switch over to DAZ Studio, I start holding down the Alt key when I go to zoom in or move around! Pesky habit to break!

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Thank you for starting this thread, Novica. And thanks to the contributors. I recently bought Silo, because so many content creators recommended it. Far less in the way of tutorials, and not as easy to find them. This has been most helpful. If I have anything worth contributing, I will post it. Generally, I am more of a listener than a talker.

edited December 1969

Thank you for starting this thread, Novica. And thanks to the contributors. I recently bought Silo, because so many content creators recommended it. Far less in the way of tutorials, and not as easy to find them. This has been most helpful. If I have anything worth contributing, I will post it. Generally, I am more of a listener than a talker.

I purchased some of Fugazi's tutorials for silo over at rendo which are very good and easy to follow. they are done in short videos which means you aren't getting a lot of info crammed into you at once so its easy to absorb and remember. One thing I have found is with tutorials that they help you make the model, but then you are left hanging....what process do you follow once your obj is made?