How do you prefer to build your ground?

Do you guys perfer to use HDRIs, use a plane and load surfaces, or landscaping prop?

Of course if load up an set, you already got your ground.

I'm just curious, cause I want to spend more time building outdoor scenes and/or scens from scratch.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

i just use pre-built sets as a starting point.

I have ultrascenery and ultrascatter that can also be used to generate landscapes but havent used it yet!

I recently purchased a 16k terrain texture, and tried using mesh grabber on a plan to create some terrain - it kind of worked.  Will need to revisit this...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

I prefer an actual environment as long as the developer was smart when creating it and it doesn't kill performance "before" I start adding figures, clothing, hair, etc to it. Environments are meant as a backdrop, so i hate when I get a nice one and it freezes my PC before I start adding the scene to it.

I use HDRIs mostly for light and reflection since any reflective surface needs something to reflect

• I like minimalistic settings unless I want a specific location. HDRI can be a good starting point. A simple plane can often be enough.

Often, the question is "What do I need?" The more detailed the ground needs to be, then you need to change what you use.

Otherwise, if it's just for long-shots, then a simple plane with a vaguely ground-colored apperance is sufficient. The less impact on the engine, the better. Just give it the illusion of depth unless you're focusing on the ground. I want what looks good, not what necessarily is the best because a lot of that will be wasted.

Yes, having an all-in-1 set can be good, but it's not always necessary to have a holistic product for a shot that doesn't need the majority of what you're loading into the scene.

Figure out how to compose what's in the viewfinder, and cut out everything else. Then you can think about building scenes, piece by piece, in a way that produces the minimum of impact to your engine and rendering system.

• SoapdishSoapdish Posts: 29

Some stellar ideas.