Does SY V4 and M4 Clones for Gen 8 (Sku: 50281) work well?

Hello All,

I had noticed this item come up on sale and I am curious if it works well:

https://www.daz3d.com/sy-victoria-4-and-michael-4-clones-for-genesis-8

While I do not have much in terms of V4 and M4 clothing, if this works well, I might consider buying it to make use of clothing for those characters.  So I am asking those that have this if it does work really well and if there are any caveats or issues.

Thank you,

Beo

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

I think it works pretty well, but I don't dig into my meager gen4 collection very often. The main issue I've noticed is the armpits, but you can fix that with Fit Control, if nothing else.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686

It often works better than not having it. But I have a ton of V4/M4 stuff that I like to raid, just to change things up a bit. But Fit Control is a must.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    No. It works on special outfits and skirts. not on normal fitting clothes. I ended up returning it.
  • jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

Well, it seems like it isn't a 'Swiss Knife' and i would need this Fit Control as well, huh? 

No. It works on special outfits and skirts. not on normal fitting clothes. I ended up returning it.

Thats enough for me. 

Thank y'all!

Geo

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    jukingeo said:

Well, it seems like it isn't a 'Swiss Knife' and i would need this Fit Control as well, huh? 

Thats enough for me. 

Thank y'all!

Geo

NP. I went round and round with CS trying to get a fix instead of a refund, but that never happened. I have a ton of V4 content and would have killed to have a clone product that worked, but oh well.

Your best bet would be to get this product which has clones to autofit V4 clothing to Genesis 3. then you can save it and then autofit it to genesis 8

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-male-s

jukingeo said:

Thats enough for me. 

Thank y'all!

Geo

NP. I went round and round with CS trying to get a fix instead of a refund, but that never happened. I have a ton of V4 content and would have killed to have a clone product that worked, but oh well.

Your best bet would be to get this product which has clones to autofit V4 clothing to Genesis 3. then you can save it and then autofit it to genesis 8

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-male-s

It is no biggie really.  I just saw the item come up for sale and wondered if it was any good.  I don't have a big V4 clothing library.  In fact I pulled all the V4 stuff off my hard drive recently as it was just taking up space.  Most of the V4/M4 items I "bought" either was free or I picked up on a package deal in which it was almost free.   Even though some of the clothing items are nice, I was never happy with the figures themselves.  The thing that I find a glaring problem are the high armpits.  It is very unnatural and my eyes just zoom right to it.   I have heavily bought into Genesis though.  Even though it has issues too, it does have much going for it.  Shorter render times, less polygons, and the best thing is that it is unisex.  So I use Genesis mainly for background fill characters in which I dont need the details of a Genesis 8 or 3 character.

Thanks!

Geo

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

I find it's hit-or-miss, and it's not always obvious which items will or won't work well.

I don't regret buying it! There's a ton of free stuff for Gen 4 and being able to use some of it is better than being able to use almost none of it.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited June 2020

About the armpits, Daz Studio autofit M4/V4 to Genesis and Genesis to Genesis 8 gives a better result.

SY clones work well the most of time, only the bodysuits or tight tops are not good.

You can also use Smooth Modifier, dForce and dForce Master presets to fit M4/V4 outfits to Genesis 8 figure.

M4 bodysuit to Genesis to Genesis 8

M4 Bodysuit + SY M4

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Speaking of clones I bought "GenX2" and all it's "addons" and the required "Gen 3 Shapes for Genesis" is there a thread for that product that gives tips & potential problems. I know the PA author of the product died a few years back though.

Noah LGP said:

About the armpits, Daz Studio autofit M4/V4 to Genesis and Genesis to Genesis 8 gives a better result.

SY clones work well the most of time, only the bodysuits or tight tops are not good.

You can also use Smooth Modifier, dForce and dForce Master presets to fit M4/V4 outfits to Genesis 8 figure.

M4 Bodysuit + SY M4

I am somewhat still new to Daz Studio, so I don't know what an SY clone is.  As for smoothing modifier...is that the Iterations Dial under the Parameters tab?  I know of that, but if it is something else, then I don't know.

Thanks,

Geo

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

"SY Clones" refers to the product you linked to, which was made by PA SickleYield and contains autofit clones.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited July 2020
    xyer0 said:

It often works better than not having it. But I have a ton of V4/M4 stuff that I like to raid, just to change things up a bit. But Fit Control is a must.

I just bought this for M4 and started running script last night.  I haven't yet tried to put any of the clothing on a G8M.  What is Fit Control?  I'm not familar with that function.  How well does it work on armor.

I've only returned 1 product to Daz.  I may have to return this if it doesn't work well.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    jukingeo said:
    Noah LGP said:

M4 Bodysuit + SY M4

I am somewhat still new to Daz Studio, so I don't know what an SY clone is.  As for smoothing modifier...is that the Iterations Dial under the Parameters tab?  I know of that, but if it is something else, then I don't know.

Thanks,

Geo

Push modifier could fix that.  Also, Mesh Grabber.

Fit control is a set of utilities which add a good number of morphs to your clothes which can help to make them fit better.

For example here's the G8M version: https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-8-males

Leana said:

Fit control is a set of utilities which add a good number of morphs to your clothes which can help to make them fit better.

For example here's the G8M version: https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-8-males

Ah ok, thank you.  I thought it was built into Daz.  I don't feel so stupid now.

tkdrobert said:
    Leana said:

Ah ok, thank you.  I thought it was built into Daz.  I don't feel so stupid now.

I was thinking the same thing, I thought it was the same thing as the Auto-Fit.  Didn't know there was a separate product for that.

tkdrobert said:
    jukingeo said:

Thanks,

Geo

The smoothing modifier happened to be what I referred to above and yes I am familiar with that in terms of the smoothing and collision iterations.   I have heard of push modifiers, but have not used them.  I heard they were a pain to use.  Same thing for deformers.   So yes, when I found out about the Mesh Grabber, I bought that.  I have used it already, but it isn't very easy to use.  I find it does require much playing around with and fiddling...but it DOES work.   I mainly used it on really stubborn areas that I couldn't fix by with smoothing and collision adjustments alone.

Thanks,

Geo

• dukesdukes Posts: 23

if you are looking for a V4 Clone, this guide to creating clones https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video/p1 ,

you can can convert other generation 3-4 figures , the freebie clone converts tight fitting clothing better like bodysuits also converts dresses

the SY Clone seems to be used to convert dresses and loose fitting clothes

edited July 2020
    jukingeo said:
    tkdrobert said:
    Leana said:

I was thinking the same thing, I thought it was the same thing as the Auto-Fit.  Didn't know there was a separate product for that.

tkdrobert said:
    jukingeo said:

Thanks,

Geo

The smoothing modifier happened to be what I referred to above and yes I am familiar with that in terms of the smoothing and collision iterations.   I have heard of push modifiers, but have not used them.  I heard they were a pain to use.  Same thing for deformers.   So yes, when I found out about the Mesh Grabber, I bought that.  I have used it already, but it isn't very easy to use.  I find it does require much playing around with and fiddling...but it DOES work.   I mainly used it on really stubborn areas that I couldn't fix by with smoothing and collision adjustments alone.

Thanks,

Geo

The default value for the push modifier is too much.  If you lower it from 1.0 to .40, that usually works.  I find that if the smoohing modifier doesn't do the job, the push modifier usually does.  I do a lot of kitbashing and I use these 2 modifiers a lot. Another Daz user taught me about them and I am forever greatful.

I agree that Mesh Grabber has a learning curb.  It's my last resort for poke through.  I'm still playing with it.  It takes some practice. 

edited July 2020
    tkdrobert said:

The default value for the push modifier is too much.  If you lower it from 1.0 to .40, that usually works.  I find that if the smoohing modifier doesn't do the job, the push modifier usually does.  I do a lot of kitbashing and I use these 2 modifiers a lot. Another Daz user taught me about them and I am forever greatful.

I am the same way.  I like to do A LOT of kitbashing and interchanging clothing items to make new outfits and then I just a shader (or texture) and color everything so it matches. Normally this works fine, but when it comes to layering or overlapping clothing, it is a pain.  Most of the time I get lucky and can use fitting controls to fix the issues, but I also come across many situations in which there are not enough fitting options or even none at all.   But I have had it with items that were supposed to work together, but don't on certain poses.  And in these cases I had to break out the Mesh Grabber.

tkdrobert said:

I agree that Mesh Grabber has a learning curb.  It's my last resort for poke through.  I'm still playing with it.  It takes some practice. 

Same here.  I just recently learned how to adjust the size of the gizmo control so it can affect less of an area for finer control.

dukes said:

if you are looking for a V4 Clone, this guide to creating clones https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video/p1 ,

you can can convert other generation 3-4 figures , the freebie clone converts tight fitting clothing better like bodysuits also converts dresses

the SY Clone seems to be used to convert dresses and loose fitting clothes

Sounds great!  I will check that one out when I get a shot.  I always like a good freebie!

Thanks,

Geo

Post edited by jukingeo on
    edited July 2020

I'm having problems with armor the sholder peices are not working.  They are becoming destorted when using action poses.

Edit: I just decovered some morphs that might fix the probelms.  I'm going to have to test this out a lot in the next 30 days to determine whether or not to return it.

tkdrobert said:

I'm having problems with armor the sholder peices are not working.  They are becoming destorted when using action poses.

Edit: I just decovered some morphs that might fix the probelms.  I'm going to have to test this out a lot in the next 30 days to determine whether or not to return it.

Some of the cloths didn't convert at all.  I don't see the files in my destination folder.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Some of the cloths didn't convert at all.  I don't see the files in my destination folder.

Somethings have to be forced.

tkdrobert said:

I even have this problem with items that are meant for a character....earrings in particular.  Parts that are to stay round get distorted into weird shapes.   This happens a lot with necklaces too.  If you change the chest area a lot, the intended shape of the necklace gets distorted.    Also not so obvious is armor plating.  I noticed this distorts quite a bit when you twist the forearms, which is why I generally stray away from metal armor, or make it look more like leather, as fabric type material would twist a bit.  At least that is more believable.   If there was a way to fix these items in place so this way they will not twist and distort, that would be great.

Thanks for the heads up! I don't think I am going to buy the app though.

jukingeo said:
    tkdrobert said:

I even have this problem with items that are meant for a character....earrings in particular.  Parts that are to stay round get distorted into weird shapes.   This happens a lot with necklaces too.  If you change the chest area a lot, the intended shape of the necklace gets distorted.    Also not so obvious is armor plating.  I noticed this distorts quite a bit when you twist the forearms, which is why I generally stray away from metal armor, or make it look more like leather, as fabric type material would twist a bit.  At least that is more believable.   If there was a way to fix these items in place so this way they will not twist and distort, that would be great.

Thanks for the heads up! I don't think I am going to buy the app though.

I'm going to do some more testing but I might return it.

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

FSMCDesigns

When you say use "Fit item to G3, then save it" what do you mean by "Save it" again? Thank you

Save the converted clothes as a figure asset in your content library.

edited July 2020

Edit: double post

Post edited by Leana on
  • MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 219

Have you looked at this? RSSY Ultimate Clothing Fixer. It looks to be a good solution for tweaking older items and kit bashing outfits. I've used the G3 version and it's worked well for me.

So far I'm doing good with helmets, bodysuits, pants, shirts and jackets.  Any poke through, I've been able to correct with smooting or push modifiers.  The biggest problem I'm having is with Armor.  The shoulders and neck area are the problem.