Hey DAZ Can we get poses that DON'T move our figures out of position?

MalandarMalandar Posts: 674
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I thought that poses were supposed to change the pose of your figure and not their position. I find it annoying as hell to load a pose and suddenly my figure which my camera is zoomed in on is SUDDENLY GONE!, Where is it? moved all the way back to 0.0.0!

Please can we go back to the days where changing a figure's pose does not change their position as well, unless the pose is for a specific scene piece as to place them seated in a chair or standing at a railing? I don't know about anyone else but this annoys the hell out of me.

Along the same lines can someone tell me how to change the poses I have now so that they don't change the positioning of my figures in my scene? I just want them to stay in position and change their pose, not make me have to go back to the center of my scene (which is often filled with scenery that blocks my view of the figure)

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:
    I thought that poses were supposed to change the pose of your figure and not their position. I find it annoying as hell to load a pose and suddenly my figure which my camera is zoomed in on is SUDDENLY GONE!, Where is it? moved all the way back to 0.0.0!

Please can we go back to the days where changing a figure's pose does not change their position as well, unless the pose is for a specific scene piece as to place them seated in a chair or standing at a railing? I don't know about anyone else but this annoys the hell out of me.

Along the same lines can someone tell me how to change the poses I have now so that they don't change the positioning of my figures in my scene? I just want them to stay in position and change their pose, not make me have to go back to the center of my scene (which is often filled with scenery that blocks my view of the figure)

Just hold down the shift key when you're applying the pose. That'll bring up a menu to let you selectively turn off the translations & rotations.
  • MalandarMalandar Posts: 674
    edited May 2014

Malandar said:

Just hold down the shift key when you're applying the pose. That'll bring up a menu to let you selectively turn off the translations & rotations.

Okay that is something I didn't know. I will try it. But still, I was a beta tester for another store and when testing poses any pose that moved your figure out of position was an automatic fail.

EDIT: OKay.... holding down shift does nothing.

Post edited by Malandar on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I think he meant CTRL

edited December 1969

Yeah CTRL works, though it is still annoying to have to hold down the button double click the pose and then unclick the three translation boxes and then click ok instead of just double clicking the pose.

I am still interested in learning how to make the poses NOT move figures if someone knows how to do it and will tell me.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Poses depend on the PA who created them, if they saved them with translation data then that is what the pose will do, it isn't something that DAZ will have any control over.

Some poses will require that data, those with say a fighting partner or dance partner, so I don't see DAZ mandating to PAs that they will have to omit the translate data.

This is something we have all had to deal with for like forever and I don't see this changing much, although it has lessened some, just like expressions that now will not change the facial morph, I still stumble on some older expressions that do.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited May 2014

Is that in DAZ Studio? I tried this suggestion (and instead of ), but didn't see anything happen. Or is that for Poser, or something else?
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Some poses I've found don't default zero or drop the character through the floor which can get irksome. Or they are turned away from the camera, unlike the thumbnail. While these are minor inconveniences,I use poses for convenience.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is that in DAZ Studio? I tried this suggestion (and instead of ), but didn't see anything happen. Or is that for Poser, or something else?

It only works for poses is DS formats, not .pz2's

edited December 1969

I think he meant CTRL

Oops. Yes, I meant CTRL. Trying to do too many things at once...
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    Poses depend on the PA who created them, if they saved them with translation data then that is what the pose will do, it isn't something that DAZ will have any control over.

Some poses will require that data, those with say a fighting partner or dance partner, so I don't see DAZ mandating to PAs that they will have to omit the translate data.

This is something we have all had to deal with for like forever and I don't see this changing much, although it has lessened some, just like expressions that now will not change the facial morph, I still stumble on some older expressions that do.

Well I find it annoying as hell, if they would stop approving pose sets that do that like another place I tested for, it would not be a problem at all. As I said before if any pose moved the figure without intending on it like a pose to interact with another figure or scene, it was an instant fail and was sent back to the creator for corrections.

And I still want to know how I can change these poses myself.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Locking the "x" and "z" coordinates ok the figure and the hip usually works for me.

I agree, it can be annoying.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:
    nDelphi said:

Well I find it annoying as hell, if they would stop approving pose sets that do that like another place I tested for, it would not be a problem at all. As I said before if any pose moved the figure without intending on it like a pose to interact with another figure or scene, it was an instant fail and was sent back to the creator for corrections.

Resave them (or save with a different name to be safe) with the translations unchecked.

• greysgreys Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

If you're on Mac, it's cmd rather than ctrl.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:
    [Well I find it annoying as hell, if they would stop approving pose sets that do that like another place I tested for, it would not be a problem at all. As I said before if any pose moved the figure without intending on it like a pose to interact with another figure or scene, it was an instant fail and was sent back to the creator for corrections.
    Then poses for lets say Mil horse which positions the rider properly, and ones for say the Big top set by JackT would not place the figures on the benches and those are just two off the top of my head. Some pose files need the translations to be used for the way they were designed.

Resave them, just turn the Translation setting OFF in the options when you save the Pose Preset.
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:
    Yeah CTRL works, though it is still annoying to have to hold down the button double click the pose and then unclick the three translation boxes and then click ok instead of just double clicking the pose.

I am still interested in learning how to make the poses NOT move figures if someone knows how to do it and will tell me.

The CTRL trick is generally the quickest workaround I've found... except when the problem is translations that pull the figure back to world zero when I want it someplace else, in which case the quick fix is to copy the translations for the previous pose in the preferred location in the parameters tab and then paste the settings back in after the new new pose has been applied. The next alternative would be to re-save the poses you want to use without the translations and there are some utilities that will let you do a batch conversion of all the poses in a file while stripping the translations, as well as ones that batch convert pz2s to dufs. Now, whether that really saves any time and effort in the long run is highly debatable, since you're bound to convert a lot of poses you'll never use. If you want to go that route, you can read more at: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/tutorials/convert_posess_to_duf/start

In the end, though, everything's going to be a bit of a compromise, as most pose sets that have translations built in are designed to compliment a particular set or prop, and as many people will be annoyed by the lack of translations as will be annoyed by them being there, and putting in both versions will likely end up irritating the ones with limited storage space. And needless to say, unless you're using a pose made specifically for the exact figure/morph combination that you're using... which is probably never going to happen unless you're totally in love with the default studio versions of Vickie and Mike... you're always going to have to do some adjustments anyway.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Like everyone is saying Ctrl click. I disable scale and translation. Disabling rotation will mess up the pose.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:

I'll second that.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Malandar said:
    [Well I find it annoying as hell, if they would stop approving pose sets that do that like another place I tested for, it would not be a problem at all. As I said before if any pose moved the figure without intending on it like a pose to interact with another figure or scene, it was an instant fail and was sent back to the creator for corrections.
    Then poses for lets say Mil horse which positions the rider properly, and ones for say the Big top set by JackT would not place the figures on the benches and those are just two off the top of my head. Some pose files need the translations to be used for the way they were designed.

These should be excluded of course. Or you could include both versions where it might be relevant.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:

Yes, I understand what you meant, I should have done a better job of making my point.

Just re-save the pose after moving the figure to a zero translate position.

I am not sure if you are using DAZ Studio, if you are just save as a pose preset. File>Save As>Pose Preset

The way I work is that I save my pose presets to a folder were I keep my scene file (these poses are unique to that scene) and if I have to apply them again I select the figure and then use the merge feature of DAZ Studio. I don't even keep such pose presets in my Runtime folder unless I deem them universal poses I can use in future scenes.

edited December 1969

and putting in both versions will likely end up irritating the ones with limited storage space.

Storage space is rarely a problem for anyone these days, and poses generally take up very little space.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

There's another option and that's contacting the vendor and (nicely) registering a complaint. It might be an older set of theirs you have and the vendor since has learned how to save poses properly, or they're new to Studio and haven't been informed yet.

• diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
    edited May 2014

In answer to the original question: Pose the figure with the one that moves it to the origin, then save as, pose preset, open up the figure properties tree, open "general", open "transformations", and uncheck "translation", then save. If you want to take the time to move that to where you have the original file you can. I've been doing that to a lot of the Generation 4 poses I want to use so I don't have to keep re-tweeking them.

Post edited by diogenese19348 on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Add me to the annoyed group...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm a long time Pose editor. Until I reached 8 full sets I would take all static pose sets that came with figures and break them into partial pose sets. All the way down to hand poses. I could then use the partial poses to create new poses with just a few clicks. None of my edited poses had Translations just for the reason stated, so the figure did not move. It never bothered me that many sets moved the figure. I was going to edit the poses anyway. I have now collected so much content including poses I no longer do that. It is a long and tedious process. But a few collections of Partial poses for each of your main figures will greatly speed things up if you have never tried it. Tip: Even a small pose set broken down gives a large variety when used. Keep that in mind if you decide to break down a set or two.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Lets face it, once again it comes down to a matter of preference. Some of us like one method of doing something over another and there is no one method that will please everyone. And even if DAZ3D did enforce a certain rule for saving poses for their PAs, you cannot make all the other stores follow suit.

The simplest solution for your pose woes inside DAZ Studio is to create a NULL and parent the figure to the null. Move the null to where you want the figure to be and you can apply all the different poses you want. This even works with couples poses as long as both figures are parented to the null.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Thanks I will try that

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Sorry about jumping in with some shameless self promotion here, :) but all of my Perfect 10 Pose sets leave your translation as is. You will need to adjust rotation and you may need to reset a foot pose for heels. I too don't care for the figure to suddenly jump back to 0,0,0 when changing a pose, particularly in a large scene like Moonlight Drive-in. Where did she go... where did she go? :)

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited May 2014

Jaderail said:
    I'm a long time Pose editor. Until I reached 8 full sets I would take all static pose sets that came with figures and break them into partial pose sets. All the way down to hand poses. I could then use the partial poses to create new poses with just a few clicks. None of my edited poses had Translations just for the reason stated, so the figure did not move. It never bothered me that many sets moved the figure. I was going to edit the poses anyway. I have now collected so much content including poses I no longer do that. It is a long and tedious process. But a few collections of Partial poses for each of your main figures will greatly speed things up if you have never tried it. Tip: Even a small pose set broken down gives a large variety when used. Keep that in mind if you decide to break down a set or two.

I am in the process of doing just that. It is long and tedious but very rewarding. I also use puppeteer to fine tune some poses.

Post edited by Erdehel on
    edited December 1969

Once I could get back to it, I looked at the pose sets I have for Genesis 2 and it seems that ALL of the ones that kick the figure back to 0,0,0 were made by the same person.....

I should not have to correct things in items I purchase from Daz, it is the way I see it and I know that people agree with me on it, not saying all, but I know I am not the only one who feels this way. I appreciate vendors who make poses who make poses that don't kick my figures out of place. Making me jump through hoops to keep my figures in place when I pose them, is not a good way to make me want more of someone's products.

• Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

Cool. Thanks for this. I didn't know about the CTRL trick and also found figures jumping to 0,0,0 to be annoying.