600 Pages in Content Library - gah...

2»

Comments

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 9,771
    edited June 2020

    Wow, I'm a lightweight. The most I've gathered, in 20 years, is 47 pages.

    Like you I watch all these 3-digit numbers flying by and thinking wow, where have I been all these years?  But then again, I have a physical toolbox jam packed with tools but I've probably only ever used a screwdriver, the hammer, and a wrench and the tape measure.  The others were eye-candy for "I might need it someday" when I had pockets full of money.  Similarly, in my DAZ toolbox I probably only use a handful of outfits (mostly loincloths, boots & tunics), a couple of skin textures, 4 or 5 different hairs, 3 backgrounds, and a half dozen buildings.  For me it's all about the morphs & poses.  The other DAZ products in my library are there just to hold the walls up.indecision

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,032

    I'm about to hit 200 pages.  So, yeah, 600 pages?  Respect!

    No doubt you have a lot of discontinued products in that list.  Seems like I find some reference in the Daz store or forum every month to some product that is no longer available for sale...  Olympus Mons (not the Hanger addon, the original product) was the one I tried to find today.

    I do appreciate it when PA's 'sell' their stuff to Daz at the tail end of a product's sale cycle, so that they can become DO's at least.  That's no guarantee that such stuff will remain in the Daz store, but it improves the chances at least.  Some stuff is 'unmemorable', but there are a few products out there in the Daz and Renderosity store that reference or rely on products that aren't in the store any more.

    I'd still like the original Aiko Anime Girl, for completeness reasons if nothing else.  It'd be for purely academic reasons, so I can 'complete' my Aiko lineup.

  • SempieSempie Posts: 645
    edited June 2020

    Maybe DAZ can organize a relics sale sometime, returning ancient but iconic stuff for a day...?

    Post edited by Sempie on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,118

    I would love them to crack open the vault 

  • 221, myself.

    One of the biggest hurdles I have now is finding the target model that a pose set, a morph, or an outfit/accessory package is supposed to be used on. Many of the products DON'T describe that in their listings or titles and it is especially a problem when those products are no longer in the DAZ store.

    Before DAZ Install Manager came along, I used to manually put new items into folders under/associated to their target models. I'm almost tempted to go back to doing that (especially for the nearly useless "Lost & Found" folder), but I don't know how much trying to manually sort anything will hopelessly fuck up the DIM database.

  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,413

    is this thread a cry for help or a boast, I am so confused cheeky

    Perhaps you are making the mistake of thinking they are mutually exclusive?

    I suppose in the abeyance of putting a dollar value on all of those purchases that question will remain moot. I'm curious but not surprised that nobody has asked how much all that stuff has cost in dollar terms. A new car or an extention on the house, a good holiday for the family, assuming the OP has one. That sense of perspective is needed if one was to judge if "buying all this stuff" is reasonable. Perhaps it is, or not, who knows.

  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 12,183
    Cybersox said:

    I think I need to take photography or oil painting back up

    Oof, both of those are just as expensive..!

  • duckbombduckbomb Posts: 553
    edited June 2020

    Nevermind...  lol sorry about that.

    Post edited by duckbomb on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,266
    fred9803 said:

    is this thread a cry for help or a boast, I am so confused cheeky

    Perhaps you are making the mistake of thinking they are mutually exclusive?

    I suppose in the abeyance of putting a dollar value on all of those purchases that question will remain moot. I'm curious but not surprised that nobody has asked how much all that stuff has cost in dollar terms. A new car or an extention on the house, a good holiday for the family, assuming the OP has one. That sense of perspective is needed if one was to judge if "buying all this stuff" is reasonable. Perhaps it is, or not, who knows.

    It really depends on what you use it for, how long you've been doing it, if one can write it off on taxes or bill part of it to customers, and how good you are at DAZ store stacking discount jenga.

     

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 38,092

    I would love them to crack open the vault 

    ...+1.  Bring back the Creeper.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 38,092
    Cybersox said:

    I think I need to take photography or oil painting back up

    Oof, both of those are just as expensive..!

    ..I used to do both and yes.  Particularly photography back in the old film days where you needed different ISO speeds and quality of film (for example for both tungsten and fluorescent lights) for different types of lighting or action You also couldn't swap out what film you had currently loaded for a different lighting conditions nor readjust film speed, midstream like you can with digital photography. Then if you didn't have your own lab there was the processing cost.  I still have my old 35 mm camera kit with lenses filters & such but sadly, film is almost extinct today. and there are few processing labs due to both the rise of digital photography and the cost of complying with MSDS rules.

    Oil painting you need the space and proper ventilation (not something to take up when you live in a small flat). I used to stretch and prepare my own canvas as it saved a little money and I could do custom sizes and shapes, yet it still added up. Then there's the paints which come in several quality grades (I usually stayed with "academic" or "student" grade for budget reasons and it still wasn't "cheap").  Then there are your brushes, which like a PSU for a computer build, are something not to scrimp on.as they are what affect the quality of your work. One also needs multiple brushes both in softness as well as size and shape for different types/techniques of painting (I had around two dozen)   As I often used to use the renaissance technique of applying thin layers to create a sense of depth and warmth to colours, about a third of my "toolbox" was comprised of sable hair brushes (the softest and most expensive).   Finally there are the mediums such as thinners, extenders, and accelerators (which is why you need good ventilation).along with solutions for cleaning and preserving those costly brushes after each session.

  • HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 150
    Taoz said:

    .

    Cybersox said:
    Rasberri said:
    Cybersox said:
    DustRider said:
    Unsolicited plug - Taozen's DAZ Product Manager is indispensable, he also has a Renderosity Manager that's very useful, and then there Senosoft's P3DO Pro.  Mainly, though, it's just Custom Categories, as you can copy and paste the same item in there in multiple places, so I'll put things down in multiple categories so I can pull it up by whichever keyword I think might work, and using DIM backwards to locate DAZ files.  One of these days, though, I'm going to have to hire someone to create a custom inventory system, as what I want is the ability to print out a PDF catalog based on asset types and/or file location.1

    I'm working on it, but there's a lot to do.  Just about to have a beta ready with a new feature: locate any installed product in DS library directly from the program. 

    https://www.screencast.com/t/ofZEsVpkwyN  

    +1 recommendation on Taozen's Rendo and Daz products.  FANTASTIC functionality in both, for a VERY fair/meager price.  I've been using both for years and can't wait for the Daz "find in DS library' feature.  (S)he has big plans for these programs and has a "personal" zeal to make improvements AND keep them supported.  For example - Rendo has undergone several changes which effectively broke Taozen's code, yet with a quick turnaaround they had workarounds. A very impressed and satisfied customer of a software product hat will help one track their product inventory, no matter how big or small...

    Ray

  • I have 211 pages, but I have 40 listed per page, not 20.

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,087

    I think a lot of my 165 pages of content is pretty old and pretty inexpensive stuff. I have a thing for converting older content to Iray. 3DL is "before my time" and I only discovered 3D content after Iray was already established - so I find the older stuff fascinating. A snatch up a ton of older stuff when it's super cheap (like the Build Your Own Bundles when the products are like 40 cents or less each) - so my product library has grown quite a bit since I started purchasing 3D content about 4 years ago. But I think quite a lot of it is stuff I got at a steal. I remember one year the PC+ sale had BYOB where the products where 28 cents each! I bought SO MUCH STUFF that year. 

    Having said that though, I've completely embraced Genesis 8 and have purchased quite a few pro bundles (which have amassed me ALL of the Genesis 3 pro bundles -since it used to be when you purchased a Genesis 8 Pro Bundle you'd get free Genesis 3 Pro Bundles). After that pretty much stopped you could still get a TON of freebies when you bought a Genesis 8 Pro Bundle (and often still can). So having purchased many Genesis 8 Pro Bundles it has really bulked out my Product Library. Between all the freebies that come with the purchase of Genesis 8 Pro Bundles and the amazing BYOB deals and V4 Sales, I've managed to accumulate a pretty large Content Library for a pretty awesome price, IMO. :)

    Being a PC+ member helps a TON. Between the weekly and monthly freebies, the PC+ Sales, the larger discounts on Daz Originals, and the $12 in coupons every month, it can really be a massive help.

  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,076
    edited July 2020

    Wow, I have 430 pages! But I started in 2005 and really shop for discount deals. Back then all PC items were $1.99. And new items during March Madness were all close to about $3.00 (but there were only around 2 a day!) When Genesis first started I was Poser only and would check in for really great deals on V4 stuff. And when they had really great RDNA deals, I scooped a bunch up. I skipped all of Genesis and G2, and half of G3, but came back in 2016 when they offered V7 for free during March Madness and decided to finally learn Daz Studio. Then I got old V4, Genesis, G2, and early G3 stuff cheap or even as free bundles because they were already old. It's scary how much I have, but I've really been a bargain hunter. Everything fits easily on one 8TB external hard drive. But I definitely need that Taozen product manager! If I divide it by the years, it's 28 pages a year, so I feel better about that lol. But then I got a lot of Rendo stuff in those early Genesis years when I left Daz...

    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,215
    HeavyRay said:
    Taoz said:

    .

    Cybersox said:
    Rasberri said:
    Cybersox said:
    DustRider said:
    Unsolicited plug - Taozen's DAZ Product Manager is indispensable, he also has a Renderosity Manager that's very useful, and then there Senosoft's P3DO Pro.  Mainly, though, it's just Custom Categories, as you can copy and paste the same item in there in multiple places, so I'll put things down in multiple categories so I can pull it up by whichever keyword I think might work, and using DIM backwards to locate DAZ files.  One of these days, though, I'm going to have to hire someone to create a custom inventory system, as what I want is the ability to print out a PDF catalog based on asset types and/or file location.1

    I'm working on it, but there's a lot to do.  Just about to have a beta ready with a new feature: locate any installed product in DS library directly from the program. 

    https://www.screencast.com/t/ofZEsVpkwyN  

    +1 recommendation on Taozen's Rendo and Daz products.  FANTASTIC functionality in both, for a VERY fair/meager price.  I've been using both for years and can't wait for the Daz "find in DS library' feature.  (S)he has big plans for these programs and has a "personal" zeal to make improvements AND keep them supported.  For example - Rendo has undergone several changes which effectively broke Taozen's code, yet with a quick turnaaround they had workarounds. A very impressed and satisfied customer of a software product hat will help one track their product inventory, no matter how big or small...

    Ray

    Thanks, I'm glad you find the programs useful!  Actually the DAZ version has just been broken by changes on the DAZ site, so I'm releasing the current build as quickly as possible (hopefully tomorrow) with a fix.  The Rendo version has actually been officially unavailable since they broke it last time, it's only registered users like you who have had access to the current version which, despite it sort of works, needs a good deal of work before I find it ready for public release again.  BTW, my forum name is no longer Taozen, it's Taoz now, and I'm a he, just to clarify. :)

     

     

Sign In or Register to comment.