LilSideChallenge #12: CARRARA and open to Bryce: theme - OUTPOST

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited June 2020 in Carrara Discussion

LilSideChallenge #12: CARRARA and open to Bryce: 
theme - OUTPOST

 

Alien, Earth colonists, Roman Legion example: Age of Empires, Nilfgard,...etc

Dates Open til 26th July

 




 

10 bux GC prize for most liked

10 bux for most original (by vote) 

and thank you to Diomede for sponsering a gc prize

will start a separate thread for entries & open vote

da rulez, 

For this challenge a minmum pair of renders required.
1 establishing shot. show an extra pov to showcase your outpost
1 medium or 1 closeup. 
paired image doesnt need to be an external view. could be your troopers in a mess hall, rec room, romantic rendevous, etc

post a wip describing a tool you used to create or kitbash your outpost.
example, made a bryce hdri and used it in carrara, howler made background, splines model tool, etc

 

rendered in Carrara or Bryce, plugins okay, including octane ur lux
no post work,  (adding a sig or frame okay)
new render or rework an old

animation clips and gifs, hosting media from another site okay
hosting a gif on da and linking worked, the last time i tried.

enter as many entries as you want.

and have fun!!

Cheers!

Post edited by Mistara on
«13

Comments

  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

    sponsering welcome for this challengeheartyeskisssmiley

     

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682
    edited June 2020

    I offer a $10 gift card to be assigned as the LilSideChallenge #12 coordinator deems fit.

    I think I understand the challenge, but I'm not 100% sure.  Could you post a few more examples?

    This is what I think.

    * I think I post two images, GIFs, or animations 

    - The first image. GIF, or animation is of an outpost in a landscape, or otherwise fits the concept of an outpost.

    - The second image, GIF, or animation is within the outpost, like a vehicle on a street, group entering building, or person in a room.

    - The images are accompanied by at least one work-in-progress post, which incudes a description of something I've done in making an image.  Could be modeling, texturing, loading HDRI, converting between Bryce and Carrara, or whatever.

    - I win back my $10 gift card.

     

    EDIT - by post another example, I don't mean explain with words, I mean post another image pair from the web that saitsfy the challenge.

    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682
    edited June 2020

    BTW - the current Bryce challenge is themed Fantasy Scene, described as "A landscape.  But not any ordinary landscape,  Let's have a Fantasy one."

    I was planning on trying to get my Tree-creatures into Bryce for it

    .https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/415881/42nd-bryce-render-challenge-a-fantasy-scene#latest

    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2020

    i was thinking stuff like the old outpost game and age of empires.

    buildings/ settlement on a landscape, alien planet, moon, mars, ancient rome

    outpost of legions roman like soldiers charging the hills.

    the second image would be showing whats inside it.   

    https://www.daz3d.com/frontier-outpost

    predatron https://www.daz3d.com/14mu-outpost

    basically geometric shapes, arches, parked rocket ships, or could be a ship coming in for a landing.

     

    Opening & Establishing Shots

    sighh tried to find a clip of the river chase in the 1992 last of the mohicans movie, but so badly lit, cant see the fort or the landscape

    establishing shot shows the audience where they are. it's baically the whole outpost in one frame.

    Post edited by Mistara on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

    I offer a $10 gift card to be assigned as the LilSideChallenge #12 coordinator deems fit.

    I think I understand the challenge, but I'm not 100% sure.  Could you post a few more examples?

    This is what I think.

    * I think I post two images, GIFs, or animations 

    - The first image. GIF, or animation is of an outpost in a landscape, or otherwise fits the concept of an outpost.

    - The second image, GIF, or animation is within the outpost, like a vehicle on a street, group entering building, or person in a room.

    - The images are accompanied by at least one work-in-progress post, which incudes a description of something I've done in making an image.  Could be modeling, texturing, loading HDRI, converting between Bryce and Carrara, or whatever.

    - I win back my $10 gift card.

     

    EDIT - by post another example, I don't mean explain with words, I mean post another image pair from the web that saitsfy the challenge.

     thank you to Diomede for sponsering a gc prizeyes

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    edited June 2020

    Sirius 5 Colony City

    The City with Alien ship at a landing pad

    Alien Shinpai boarding his ship

    Used Mixamo to rig the Alien in the scene

     

    Misty 12 1a.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Misty 12 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Misty 12 1 Carrara setup b.png
    2260 x 1042 - 899K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

    very awesome Bunyip02 smileyyes  Sirius 5 

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    Mystiarra said:

    very awesome Bunyip02 smileyyes  Sirius 5 

    Thanks !

     

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    edited June 2020

    Old Town

    Street View

    New Romance

    Nothing special in the setup, except rotated a copy of street/houses to continue the length of the street

     

    Misty 12 2 OldTown 1a.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Misty 12 2 OldTown 2a.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Misty 12 2 OldTown Carrara setup 1a.png
    2265 x 1037 - 470K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    edited June 2020

    Alterian Colony

    Complex

    Medical Level

    Bryce HDR used

     

    Misty 12 3 Alterian Colony 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 799K
    Misty 12 3 Alterian Colony 2.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Misty 12 3 Alterian Colony 1 Bryce HDR.png
    1921 x 1042 - 921K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

    is fun to do, eh? smiley

  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

    enlightenedcould use phil's city or an urban sprawl as a long shot, then show something happening in the city or sprawl

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682
    edited June 2020

    Way to start us off, Bunyip.  Most excellent.  I think Colony City is my fav.  Very cool.

     

    Here is my first go.  Establishment shot is a quick space station I put together being approached by a Petitpet ship.  Zoom shot is TangoAlpha's Stella set.  Screenshots of scene setup attached.

    Establish vlad.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 532K
    Zoom vlad.jpg
    2000 x 1250 - 888K
    setup establish space 3.jpg
    1842 x 1025 - 507K
    setup render zoom space 2.jpg
    1818 x 1024 - 307K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    Diomede said:

    Way to start us off, Bunyip.  Most excellent.  I think Colony City is my fav.  Very cool.

     

    Here is my first go.  Establishment shot is a quick space station I put together being approached by a Petitpet ship.  Zoom shot is TangoAlpha's Stella set.  Screenshots of scene setup attached.

    Thanks !

    Nice renders, the ship in the space view is a little dark - is more visible in the larger view. Also the ball of stars in the RHS two-thirds of the picture is quite noticeable, maybe a bit of postwork copying/pasting stars in the thinned out area so it gives a more of a solar system whirl look ?

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682
    edited June 2020

    I appreciate the constructive comments, Bunyip.  I will revisit the space view scene.

    Here is another try by me.  This time a medieval/fantasy setting.

    Castle Establish.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Castle Zoom 01.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    castle establish setup screenshot.jpg
    1890 x 1024 - 348K
    castle zoom setup screenshot.jpg
    1774 x 1022 - 259K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682
    edited June 2020

    Revisiting my first entry as per Bunyip suggestions.  Much better to my eye, thank you Bunyip.

     

    Establish vlad with bunyip suggestions 3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 231K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited June 2020

    Alie Outpost

     

     

    Outpost_the_view.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 3M
    Outpost_the_view_Alie.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 3M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

    lov emheartsmiley

    glowies in the dark. and atmo abiences.

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069

    Diomede - space scene really sings now ! You beat me to the Castle scene, was going to be my next one.

    Vyusur - totally gorgeous !

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    edited June 2020

    Tree House

    Outside

    Inside

    Bryce HDR used

     

    Misty 12 4a TreeHouse.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Misty 12 4b TreeHouse.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Misty 12 4a TreeHouse BryceHDR.png
    1914 x 1035 - 967K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

    Misty, Bunyip, thank you very much!

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    edited June 2020

    Caved in and did a castle !

    View from outside

    The Dungeon

    Bryce HDR used

     

    Misty 12 5a Castle.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Misty 12 5b Castle.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Misty 12 5a Castle BryceHDR.png
    2261 x 1034 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682
    edited June 2020

    Veronika - great atmosphere.  Images really invite me in.  I'm wondering happens when they get inside.  Spooky.

    Bunyip - nice use of the Bryce HDR.  Glad you used that part of the challenge going.  Will have to find my own way to use both.  Yay, we need more castles.  If we can do nearly a hundred great Xerr's, we can do a dozen or so castles.

     

    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    Diomede said:

    Veronika - great atmosphere.  Images really invite me in.  I'm wondering happens when they get inside.  Spooky.

    Bunyip - nice use of the Bryce HDR.  Glad you used that part of the challenge going.  Will have to find my own way to use both.  Yay, we need more castles.  If we can do nearly a hundred great Xerr's, we can do a dozen or so castles.

     

    More free castles, look through the older posts as well - The Art of Luca Rodolfi - Reloaded - https://rodluc2001.blogspot.com/search/label/free stuff

  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,040
    edited June 2020

    awesome theme @Mystiarra yes

    and some rockin' renders to boot ~ awesome smiley

    Here's one from me ~ had to model the underground system in Hexagon as I just couldn't get the booleans to work in Cararra sad

     

    anthill.png
    800 x 600 - 973K
    AntNest.png
    800 x 600 - 996K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    Stezza said:

    awesome theme @Mystiarra yes

    and some rockin' renders to boot ~ awesome smiley

    Here's one from me ~ had to model the underground system in Hexagon as I just couldn't get the booleans to work in Cararra sad

     

    Another Classic !!!

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 6,069
    edited June 2020

    Temple

    Temple view

    Temple Maiden (giving Aiko 3 a bit of love)

     

    Misty 12 6a Temple.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Misty 12 6b Temple.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,682

    Stezza - welcome to the party.  This challenge is no picnic, so ants are not a problem.  Very clever.  Excellent renders.

    Bunyip - aha, not only do we need a dozen or so castles, we need plenty of NVIATWAS - vicky in temples!  I recognize that temple from the object browzer.  Need to revisit some of those buildings.

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 34,115
    edited June 2020

    not an entry, just joining in fun

    inspired by Misty's Star Wars Outpost pictures

     

    yes it is all Carrara native engine I would never fit that stuff in my Octane rig!

    outpost.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    op.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 34,115
    edited June 2020

    I should have looked at this first blush

    one needs to be very loose with one's fan art interpretation though cheeky

    I reckon the petrol storage near Port Adelaide looks very similar 

    B69FC0E2-9E1F-4671-863B-07D238A9736E.png
    1536 x 2048 - 8M
    1726FD26-5102-41A5-87AF-BA6183D742E8.png
    1536 x 2048 - 6M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
Sign In or Register to comment.