Parental Guidance Needed, Figures

When you parent an object to a figure, it stops listening to the Trans and rot slider variables.  This makes it impossible to correctly position the object.  Scale (all four) seem to work fine.  Is there a way to get these positioning sliders to actually work, yet follow the later transforms of the figure which is the parent?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,593

position it before you parent is what I normally do.

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 362

I tried that, it snaps to the original bad position when you parent.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Is "Parent in Place" ticked?

This is a much older prop, and does not include "Parent in Place" during the parent operation.  Can it be added?

I see what you mean, you can "Parent in Place" during the Change Parent, but the prop does not move when the parent moves.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158

Have you got "Parent in Place" checked when you parent it?

edited June 2020

Yup, Parent in Place checked, but when I use "Fit" it ignores the sliders.  Before and after picture.

twoarmor.png
    640 x 640 - 605K
    Post edited by TBorNot on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,050

So it's not just a parented prop, it's a conforming figure. In that case it's not surprising that the translation and rotation dials don't work when fitted.

Is there a way to fix it?  In poser you could burrow down and modify the internal parts and that would work, but in DAZ3D those lower parts are blank.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158

Is it the helmet you mean? I would try just parenting it to the character's head (don't "Fit to..." at all) then you shold be able to move it up and down or whereever you like.

edited June 2020

Aha!  We have a winner!  Thank you so much!  Works great, I was just fixating on Fitting when it wasn't needed.

twoarmor.png
    883 x 747 - 644K
    Post edited by TBorNot on
  • As an alternative solution....

When it come to items that are 'fit to' other items, many of the sliders become 'hidden' by default.

To unhide the sliders, click on the menu button of the parameters tab, or right click on the tab itself.

Select the "Show hidden properties" option to unhide the sliders.

Be aware that depending on the rigging of the item moving certain dials can produce some really weird effects.

show hidden properties.jpg
    1488 x 768 - 222K