Want to try Beta - will it spoil Daz 4.6?

franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've got DS pro 4.6.2.118 64bit on windows 7 - I dunno if that's the latest but I'd like to try the Beta.
Can I have both useable on the same PC? Or must I uninstall the current 4.6 first?

Is there a later version of the 4.6 I should install first?

And what about the 4.6 for the 32 bit? Do I need that installed?

I've been trying to follow a rigging tutorial with the gingerbread man - will installing either a later version of DS4.6Pro or the Beta version cobble up that rigging stuff I've been doing or not?

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2014

hi fran

The Beta will not interfere with the released version.

The latest release version announced yesterday?? is actually more recent than the current Beta!
    Its not necessary to have that updated to install the Beta.

Its also possible to have both 32bit and 64bit installed at the same time, only necessary if you have a plugin, shader or script that only works in 32bit.
    I have not installed a 32bit version for years!

No idea about that particular tutorial but I don't think rigging has changed from your version of DS to the current version.

Post edited by prixat on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    hi fran

The Beta will not interfere with the released version.

The latest release version announced yesterday?? is actually more recent than the current Beta!
    Its not necessary to have that updated to install the Beta.

Its also possible to have both 32bit and 64bit installed at the same time, only necessary if you have a plugin, shader or script that only works in 32bit.
    I have not installed a 32bit version for years!

No idea about that particular tutorial but I don't think rigging has changed from your version of DS to the current version.

Wow, yet another new version, eh?
    So if I can install that, I won't need the beta, right?

I have so little currently working with the 4.6 that it's unlikely that I have any 32bit only plugins or shaders, although I did once made some shaders myself when on a single occasion I was fast enough to get a look at the demo of the pro version that let you play with shader blocks deep within the shader baker I think it was.

I once had lots of content installed and all sorted and tidy too... but now I just have a couple of things - not in the least tidy or organised. I do so wish I could have kept the organised version... sigh.

On the rigging, I was more worried about the tools and the saved versions of the Gingerbread man - cos it's been 3 weeks since I played rugby with my house and gained a dislocated shoulder - the house won that encounter, don't think I'll play rugby with it any more! Lol!! And I wasn't sure I'd remember what I was doing or where I'd saved things too, and a new version of DS might not save the route to the saved files, and I've no idea where I might have saved them to.
    I wouldn't mind so much if the rigging had been improved in the new version of DS, anything that helps you get things rigged.

edited December 1969

Might still be worth playing with the beta first as it will not interfere with your current setup, its a safer way to experiment before you take the plunge.
    The only thing you have to do to it is point it to the same runtimes.

edited December 1969

Okay, thanks. good idea.

Um... is that one of the Banana Bunch in your avatar?

edited December 1969

yep, Bingo the gorilla from The Banana Splits.

:coolsmile:

edited December 1969

prixat said:
    yep, Bingo the gorilla from The Banana Splits.

:coolsmile:

I thought so, I loved them when I was a kid! They were just too silly!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

The new Version of DS4.6.3.50 Full is now out. It supersedes the Beta. The Beta is now a step back from the full.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The new Version of DS4.6.3.50 Full is now out. It supersedes the Beta. The Beta is now a step back from the full.

Darn, now you tell me, I just installed the Beta... sigh. Oh well.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Darn, now you tell me, I just installed the Beta... sigh. Oh well.It's okay, I still have both installed too. Tip. With the Beta now installed you do NOT need to install the PosterSQL a second time to install the FULL DS4.6.3.50 just it and it's plugins are needed. None of the PSQL stuff will be needed a second time.

• sinfanysinfany Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Where is this new version available? I didn't see it in the product upgrades in the DIM.

Thanks

edited May 2014

If your DIM filters Programs and Plugins and I think Private Build is not ticked it will not show. Also if you have ever set a Version of DAZ Studio to Hidden the new file(s) is/are now the hidden files. The link is here if all else fails. I suggest you Try your Products Library first though.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41482/

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail, everything that should be clicked is and nothing has been hidden but the update version is not showing, only the Beta. Does this mean I need to download from the site? I'll do that if I have to.

edited December 1969

sinfany said:
    Jaderail, everything that should be clicked is and nothing has been hidden but the update version is not showing, only the Beta. Does this mean I need to download from the site? I'll do that if I have to.
    You may need to buy it, it will be free of course but you may need to do that it seems.
    edited December 1969

Yes, I thought so. I will mention it to the tech support people though.

Thanks!

:-)