Night scene indoors without distinct light sources.

Is it possible? I have a scene, it's night(obviously) and there are no light sources. No lamps/fireplaces/phone screens etc. It's supposed to be a normal darkness. The question is: how do I light it? :D

Image 1 is the scene. It's lit by 1 ghost light at the ceiling with 10kcdm lum. How do I make the character bright enough to see clearly while retaining the feel that it's still night and darkness? 

Image 2 is the best I've got so far. The room is lit with ceiling ghostlight 20kcdm while character is also then rendered as canvas with 35kcdm. But it's "meh". Room's pretty much too bright(walls, especially near edges), while the character is still dark. Making it brighter at canvas makes the character stand out too much. Character's also flat but I guess this can't be helped without distinct lights.

Any thoughts or ideas? All the tutorials or discussions I've found imply that there is a light source like a lamp or a campfire so they don't really help. 

Pmf0011_out.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 398K
pmf12q1combined_out.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 482K

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

You have a light source from the tablet screen.

• No, tablet screen is off. Simply forgot to turn base to black.

edited June 2020

No, tablet screen is off. Simply forgot to turn base to black.

laugh OK!

Is there a window in the room? Moonlight coming through it would give a glow in the room. Our room is never dark even with black out curtains pulled shut smiley

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Well, there are 2 windows. I also tried ghostlights there but they light up the walls even more at the edges. Maybe I shouldn't make them the size of those windows and actually leave them smaller. Although, everyone everywhere says "make them the size of the window and you're good" xD 

Adding spotlight/distant light to mimic moonlight doesn't make the room brighter really. Adds lots of noise though. 

Sunsky works pretty well when it's sun, no idea how it works as a moon since I can't figure out how to make it blue(while having sun node instead of time/coords)

Can I make the room gradually go darker the further it is from the character without leaving strong shadows?

Maybe some tonemapping tweaking? Basically, from the image 2: character needs to become brighter, the room needs to become darker, all of it needs to somehow fit and not look off. xD 

Use a Vignette to darken around the edges of the figure.

• Fishtales said:

Use a Vignette to darken around the edges of the figure.

So make everything bright enough and then darken it with a vignette in postwork? Worth a try, thanks!

You can do a Vignette from the Tone Mapping Pane inside Studio too, you don't get as much control though that you will get Post.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,325

Blue moonlight and atleast one forced rim light spotlight is how they do it in the movies.