Daz 4.6 render window

VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Wondering why scene renders in another window instead of exsisting screen.
What is the purpose of this? Original screen doesn't look any different when
render is complete.. To see changes what do you have to do save as then
re-import? Doesn't make sense..

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

vitachick said:
    Wondering why scene renders in another window instead of exsisting screen.
    What is the purpose of this? Original screen doesn't look any different when
    render is complete.. To see changes what do you have to do save as then
    re-import? Doesn't make sense..

Rendering to a new window permits the render size to exceed that of the screen dimensions. Rendering to screen or to window means you need to save the render if you wish to keep it, and you do not import rendered images so not quite following what you are wishing to do.

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

Just curious that's all. So unable to render to screen then?

edited December 1969

vitachick said:
    Just curious that's all. So unable to render to screen then?

You can render to screen, it 'overwrites' the viewport with the rendered image, but you'll still need to save the final render.
    edited December 1969

Only render option I see is new window or image file..

Active viewport is checked...

Advise

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,143
    edited December 1969

DS 4 does full renders to a new window, you can use the Spot Render tool to render the whole viewport but then you'd have to screen-capture it since you can't save spot renders. What are you wanting to do that rendering to a new window is blocking?

edited December 1969

Just trying to render to exsisting window ...Guess use to Daz3 where u see it render right
    on front of you with current window...So does Poser..

Guess no big deal...

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Didn't DS4 use to do that too?
    I didn't notice the change as I always render to a window anyway.

Another advantage to rendering to windows is you can leave them all open and have a sort of history for the render with the ability to save any or all of them when you get round to closing the windows.

edited December 1969

Daz4 always rendered to new window...Daz 3 didn't..

edited December 1969

DS 4 does full renders to a new window, you can use the Spot Render tool to render the whole viewport but then you'd have to screen-capture it since you can't save spot renders. What are you wanting to do that rendering to a new window is blocking?

Yes you can! Under Tools Settings, you can opt to have spot renders render to window, not screen - it's not remembered across cycles of DS sadly, but it has saved my bacon a few times. I wish I could remember who it was on deviantART who pointed this out so I could give them credit for drawing my attention to it.

edited December 1969

vitachick said:
    Daz4 always rendered to new window...Daz 3 didn't..

You know, it's been so long since I didn't render to a new window I never even noticed it's lack! in DS3A I invariably rendered to a new window. I now see what you are saying, but I am still a little confused why it is a problem.

edited December 1969

It's not a problem just a preference. Like to see it render in front of me instead of a
    new window....

edited December 1969

[

Yes you can! Under Tools Settings, you can opt to have spot renders render to window, not screen - it's not remembered across cycles of DS sadly, but it has saved my bacon a few times. I wish I could remember who it was on deviantART who pointed this out so I could give them credit for drawing my attention to it.

Ok getting closer but....where is " you can opt to have spot renders render to window, not screen????"

edited December 1969

That's really the opposite of what you want - render the spot render to a new window (which is useful if you want to erdo part of a large render to patch onto a blemished version), not put a full render in the viewport.

edited December 1969

vitachick said:
    [

Ok getting closer but....where is " you can opt to have spot renders render to window, not screen????"

You do it using the Tools Setting. I'm in the midst of a render at the moment, so this may not be wholly correct:

Window> Tabs> Tool Settings

At the top is a dropdown that is (I believe) set to the current selected tools (so if you have picked the spot render tool, that will be selected). Either way, ensure you have Spot Render selected and you should see two options: render to screen or render to window. Pick the one you want.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,181
    edited December 1969

Don't have time for a detailed response, but considering a few participating in the thread... you may find this useful.

DAZ Studio » v4.x » Reference Guide » Scripting » API Reference » Samples » Rendering » Render To Viewport

-Rob

edited December 1969

Thanks Rob, I wouldn't have thought of its being possible via script. It doesn't, however, seem to add the option to Save last render to the File menu.

vitachick, download the script from the page Rob links and then in DS go to Window>Workspace>Customise. On the left, right-click on Custom and select Create New Custom Action. Enter a name (such as Render to Viewport) and description, then click the ... button and seelct the downloaded script file, then click Accept. Now on the right click on Menus or Toolbars and drag the enw custom action from the left into the menu or toolbar (or both in succession) that you want to use, then click Accept. You should now have a command that will (if necessary) switch the render size to Active Viewport and then render in place in the viewport.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the instructions....Now script says Daz 4.5?? This will work with
    4.6?

Now have to get my nerve up to install and use..

thanks all for you help!!

edited December 1969

Yes, it works - I made sure of that, in the current production Build, before posting my instructions.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

The Render to Window is a better Option in my view, that way the Viewport and the window call two different screen ports. That keeps your PC from needing to Refresh the Viewport back to a Default OpenGL display after the Render. You may prefer to Viewport for rendering but you are putting more work to your Graphic card by doing so. Sure the card is built to deal with that but it is still not as good on the PC in my view. Of course if your card has low built in RAM to View may actually work better as the Cards out put ram is only pointing to the one screen port instead of two. Not a big difference in my view but I never thought of it until now.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Works perfect!!!! Now renders to active viewport...

THANK-YOU ONCE AGAIN :)

edited December 1969

Since I am a total idiot...Must be. I did it but cannot do it again. Also
    trying to set it up on my win7 comp...

How to import script.....I have it in Daz 4.6 script folder....

Maybe I'm working too long on this and had a brain fart?

edited December 1969

If you have it in the scripts folder, just find it, right-click on it, and select Create Custom Action. You will still need to go into Window>Workspace>Customise to drag the command from Custom, on the left, to a menu or toolbar on the right. You can also just double-click the script in the content pane, but that means switching to the folder so it isn't as convenient as adding it to a menu.

edited December 1969

Ok saw what I was doing wrong...Win XP 32 bit....Set up my Win7 comp, opened
    scene, ran script and it crashed....Grrr.....Nothing is easy for me with Win7

edited December 1969

It ran OK for me in Windows 7 - but it does seem to take the file format from the existing Render Settings, try doing one render to file in PNG format using the Render Settings pane, then run the script after that.

edited December 1969

Daz 4.6 did work on Win7. Tried render in new window..pnj...ok...tried scrip and crashed.

Daz location once again is NOT on main drive...Didn't have problem before. When
    I import previously saved image and render...nah da...Not going to worry. Just won't
    use Daz6 on that comp....Not going to go uninstall reinstall to main drive...Not worth
    the trouble.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,181
    edited December 1969

FYI... The script I linked to in my post, at the bottom of the previous page, was updated this evening.

-Rob

edited December 1969

added updated script to scrip folder in 4.6...

Once again when I used it 4.6 on Win7 crashed....Doesn't like it..

edited December 1969

It's the whole system that's crashing, not just DS? That sounds like a video driver issue, given that it's triggered by painting a window, or possible a RAM error.

edited December 1969

Juat Daz 4.6..Not the system...I can send error report but don't know who will
    be able to read it

edited May 2014

I submited a bug report to tech support today...Let's see if they
    take the time to figure out the problem. is with Win7

Post edited by Vitachick on