How do you install items so they are available in Smart Content

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Okay, so after 72hrs of system restore/uninstall/reinstall...most of my items are back in my smart content pane but not all. And I think I remember hearing there was a way to sort of funnel them in there from Content Library. When doing basic posing, I like to go tot Smart Content>Poses>By Function>Walking. Right now I have 8 when I previously had a couple dozen.I'd like to get my workflow back to the way I'm accustomed to. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Find the files/folders in the Content Library, right-click>Categorise. They will also need to be set as compatible with the figure you are using, if you want to filter them - you can do that by dragging them across to the Smart Content category while the figure is loaded in the scene and selected.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    edited June 2020

Try going to Database Management and selecting "Reimport Metadata" and the other option to process the metadata queue, and run it. That sometimes will recover items that previously were in Smart Content but now not showing up.

Then check in the "Lost and Found" category of Smart Content.

ETA: You also should check in your DS Preferences that all of your existing content folders are listed. Do that before you run the metadata import operations

Post edited by mavante on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Well I think I might be making progress because I seem to be navigating right but after I click on *accept* it looks like it goes through a little process but it still doesn't appear in Smart Content. I tried dragging to the Smart Content tab but it has a little arrow/circle with a line through it "No you can't do this" symbol. Do you see what I'm doing wrong?

Capture.PNG
    1724 x 864 - 405K

Well, I thought I found the answer on another thread by un-selecting "Filter by context" but then I realized that just lists EVERY walking pose I have regardless of the character I'm trying to use. Which makes sense given the title of the box :P

I've tried both of the methods suggested and can't get either to work.

I find the Pose Folders I want to be in my smart content, right click and there is no "Categorise" option. Only the following....Create a Sub Folder, Rename, Delete, Edit Metadata, Export Metadata, Create a Category From, Create a Product From, Browse to File Location, Refresh. So I think I'm missing a step in that process. I've explored in those options and didn't see anything that looked right.

The other process, did uncover a few that were gone but nowhere near all.

When I started using more G8 characters, I used the G3-G8 Pose convertor and it did great but the real kicker was that it took all those converted files and also broke those down for me in the By Function drop down. So any walking poses I had for G7M were now converted and listed for me to use on my G8's. It was awesome. That's what I'm trying to get back to honestly. And I would be TOO happy to erase them all and re-convert if I can get that result again.

My only hesitation in trying that is that I've never been able to delete anything completely. I'll think it's gone and probably is but it leaves those ugly yellow "can't find it" triangles all over that you have to scroll through.

I don't mind hunting for clothes and hair but poses...that's my go to starting point. It's like I had a well organized closet of poses, came home one day and found them scattered all over my house. I know I have them all, I just can't find them! :P

If there is a proven, accurate tutorial on this I'd love to try it and save whoever is reading this the trouble of trying to explain it to me.

Thank you ANYONE for your help.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It sounds like you've selected the folder -- the Categorize option only appears when items in the folder are selected (you can select one and then Ctrl-A to select everything in the folder)

Ahhh, yes. From an earlier screen shot on this thread I see that I knew that for a moment. I tried it again and still...no joy. What am I doing wrong?

Capture.JPG
    1888 x 819 - 154K
    Capture2.JPG
    1364 x 830 - 118K

Does it show up in the Content Library tab under Categories?

Do you use both Connect and DIM/Manual installs?

Yes it does. And I almost always use DIM. I've had a couple hitches here and there but I don't think I ever did with pose sets. So all of those were probably installed using DIM.

Capture.JPG
    1360 x 781 - 107K

There's no "Pose" tag in the upper right of the icon.  Is the converter you used supposed to create metadata for the converted poses?  It sounds from your description like it used to, but is no longer doing so.  What converter is it?

This is the one I used.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-to-genesis-8-pose-converter

But let me reiterate a few things just to make sure you have all the info. And thank you for helping me with this. What a pain. You really don't know what you've got till it's gone!

What happened to me was I got some sort of pesky virus and in order to fix it, I had to do a system reinstallation and I lost access to ALL programs that didn't come with my computer BUT did not lose files. So once I downloaded Daz again, that's when I realized I lost my metadata. I used the pose converter a loooong time ago to keep my G3 pose library. Once I got Daz back, they were still there so I didn't need to use the converter again. But I'd be happy to go through that whole process all over again if it means I get my metadata back. I'm just reluctant to try because I am unsure how to fully delete files from Daz so they no longer show up in Content Library/Smart Content in any way.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169

Did you have a backup copy of User Data? (By exporting from Content DB Manager) Those converters generally create their metadata in the LOCAL_USER pseudo-product, so reinstalling metadata wouldn't replace them unless you had (recent) userdata backup file(s).

I'm going to go with no on that because I don't know how to export anything :P I kinda just download updates when they happen and all my stuff has just always been where it was. This is the first time since I got this computer that I had to re-install Daz.

Let me make sure I understand.  After reinstalling Daz Studio, did you lose ALL the metadata, or just the metadata for the converted poses?

Just for the converted poses (this is getting exciting!)

This is where all my needed poses are. This is where all of the stuff that I want in my Smart Content is. I made the G3-G8 Converted Folder and selected it when I ran ALL these poses through https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-to-genesis-8-pose-converter

and it magically filtered them all by function. So do I need to do a clean delete and do it again? No problem, I'm just unsure how to get rid of them so I don't have any duplicate files.

Capture.JPG
    651 x 942 - 64K