DIM: Wait a minute... do I not need to install components with "PS"?

DMaxDMax Posts: 637

DIM: Wait a minute... do I not need to install components with "PS"?

I am feeling rather silly now... I just noticed that perhaps "PS" refers to Poser and since I solely utilise DS, does it mean that I should uninstall all product components that mention "PS"?
I have just purchasing and installing everything as is without selecting the individual components.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If there's a "DS" and a "Ps" you only need the DS.  Some older products have a "Ps" and a "StudioCF" (companion file), then you do need the Ps version as the StudioCF only has DS material presets to apply to the Poser-format files.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637

If there's a "DS" and a "Ps" you only need the DS.  Some older products have a "Ps" and a "StudioCF" (companion file), then you do need the Ps version as the StudioCF only has DS material presets to apply to the Poser-format files.

That's very good to know! But it means I have to go through 1500 items now to weed out the lone "ps" components :(
    Why don't they smarten up DIM to install only DS-needed components or at least give the option to exclude unnecessary PS stuff?

On the "Ready to Download" tab click on "Download Filters" just below the tab header, and uncheck any software you don't use (keep Photoshop even if you use a different 2D program so you'll still get texture resources and brushes).

On the "Ready to Download" tab click on "Download Filters" just below the tab header, and uncheck any software you don't use (keep Photoshop even if you use a different 2D program so you'll still get texture resources and brushes).

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... it makes me now feel like deleting the entire inventory and reinstalling everything correctly! THANK YOU kind sir! I will soon find that my harddisk space has doubled overnight! I was just about to purchase a portable drive just to contain my DAZ Library...

DMax said:

I was just about to purchase a portable drive just to contain my DAZ Library...

You'll need it soon enough...

I have a couple of other scenarios... would this be the delete algorithm for them?

(1) Product ABC DS, Product ABC PS, Product ABC PoserCF... delete PS and PoserCF
    (2) Product ABC, Product ABC PoserCF... delete Product ABC Poser CF
    (3) Product ABC, Product ABC StudioCF... delete neither

It's gotten too tedious so I have just decided to uninstall and delete all. Then reinstall by filtering "Studio 4.5+ and Mac 64-bit" only. Hopefully this cleans up everything like a ctrl-alt-del!

DMax said:

I have a couple of other scenarios... would this be the delete algorithm for them?

(1) Product ABC DS, Product ABC PS, Product ABC PoserCF... delete PS and PoserCF
    (2) Product ABC, Product ABC PoserCF... delete Product ABC Poser CF
    (3) Product ABC, Product ABC StudioCF... delete neither

Yes, those are all correct.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    DMax said:

It's gotten too tedious so I have just decided to uninstall and delete all.

Note that you will also need to remove the old content database using the database controls in the Content Library pane Options menu. If you don't do this, the database will still be there when you start reinstalling stuff.

DMax said:

It's gotten too tedious so I have just decided to uninstall and delete all.

Note that you will also need to remove the old content database using the database controls in the Content Library pane Options menu. If you don't do this, the database will still be there when you start reinstalling stuff.

Be sure to export user data if you have any custom categories/tags/metadata

edited June 2020

Oh, this is definitely something new to me.
    But may be a bit late as I have overnight just re-installed all the components... I think it did save me about 30-40GB by not installing the PS components.
    Right now my install filters are DAZ 4.5+, MAc 64bit, Connect Avail, Connect Installed... if I had selected only DAZ I would have missed out on installing several shaders, fit controls, morphs etc

Post edited by DMax on

Be sure to export user data if you have any custom categories/tags/metadata

All greek to me (sorry!) but no I did not yet create any custom categories, tags or metadata... these are waaaaay above my newbie knowledge!

edited June 2020

I have fully re-installed now without having previously made any changes within DS (I didn't remove any old content databases etc... whatever this means, sorry)
    Should I perform this migration thing, I don't even know what it is but it sounds good :P ... and should I click yes to the unassigned categories?

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.59.28 PM.png
    1212 x 558 - 198K
    Post edited by DMax on

And should I "reset database"?

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.06.19 PM.png
    686 x 488 - 115K

I'm surprised by the Migrate Database popup, since your old database should be in the new format (all versions of DS since 4.9 use the new format).  But you should Reset the database and then Re-Import Metadata and you'll have a clean database without the extra Poser files.

I'm surprised by the Migrate Database popup, since your old database should be in the new format (all versions of DS since 4.9 use the new format).  But you should Reset the database and then Re-Import Metadata and you'll have a clean database without the extra Poser files.

It wasn't a pop-up. I was trying to figure out what SpottedKitty was saying above so I was clicking through all the Database options to see what was available.
    I did notice however that after the reinstallation I have a few Characters that were doubled in the Content Library... because before I reinstalled the components, I had added the prefix "HD" to some characters and after the reinstallation I now have eg. "Chace" and "Chace HD" (my previous rename).