Saving modified asset for G3M gens permanently breaks geograft?

I really don't get this. Where does Studio hide all the stuff that *really* makes things happen?

I tried creating additional material zones on the G3M gens, and saved it as a modified support asset, as various references had indicated was the way to do it. Now, the gens will no longer graft to G3M at all. Even uninstalling, deleting, and reinstalling from the original zip will not fix this. What has broken, outside of the item itself, so that no matter how fresh the install, it no longer works as a geograft? Where are the instructions hidden to make this happen, if they aren't in the item itself? Do I also need to reset the database to the default, reinstall Studio or whatever?

Comments

• Did you just select existing polys and create a new surface out of them?

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    Yes. I wanted to make the change permanent, so it would apply any time I used the asset. Once I found the grafting was broken, I uninstalled and reinstalled the gens, but even though the surfaces are back to default, the grafting remains broken.
  • Are any of your new surfaces covering the polys that make up the geografting area? I don't believe that would break it.

On the standard g8m gens I made a new surface and even a UV for that surface and then just saved it out.

What you may want to do is just unparent/unfit the gens, save it as scene subset.

That will allow you to load it like you would a regular g3m gens. That would be easiest.

No, all of the polys for the new surface were in the glans - as far away from the grafting area as it gets. But that's not really the issue. The problem is the persistance of the issue - I don't know where all Studio stores its metadata, and of what type, such that even uninstalling a product, deleting all the files that came with it, amd reinstalling it with clean, unmodified files doesn't put it back the way it was. It seems like Studio's 'smart' features make it too smart for its own good; these mods shouldn't be this persistent.
  • Your fastest fix would be just to take the corrected gens and save it as an scene subset. Anytime you load the correct gens set it will load just like a regular gens and then you just fit it g3m. You'll get the same effect.

If you're deadset on overwriting your old gens with this one, how are you saving it? Updated assets? Saving it out as a new prop?

I'm not deadset on overwriting my old gens - I'm deadset on making them work the way they were designed. I didn't know that simply modifying the surface assignments would break it, and defintiely not that once it was broken, it couldn't ever be fixed. I'm not sure why we're not communicating on that wavelength - as I've said multiple times, it's not about the modifications, it's about the fact that making them seems to have broken it so permanently that I can't even uninstall the program, the figures, delete the files, reinstall the program, reset the database and wipe out the problem. I want to know what could I possibly be missing - where is this data being stored that prevents EVERYTHING I do from being reset to the default? NO APPLICATION should be THIS persistent.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    Ptrope said:

I really don't get this. Where does Studio hide all the stuff that *really* makes things happen?

I tried creating additional material zones on the G3M gens, and saved it as a modified support asset, as various references had indicated was the way to do it. Now, the gens will no longer graft to G3M at all. Even uninstalling, deleting, and reinstalling from the original zip will not fix this. What has broken, outside of the item itself, so that no matter how fresh the install, it no longer works as a geograft? Where are the instructions hidden to make this happen, if they aren't in the item itself? Do I also need to reset the database to the default, reinstall Studio or whatever?

All the files for the product itself are likely in folders like these:

My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male Genitalia
    My Library\People\Genesis 3 Male\Anatomy
    My Library\Runtime\Textures\DAZ\Characters\Genesis3\various subfolders {depends on purchases}

One can manually download the product from the product library to copy over existing files.

If you're using DIM {I no longer do} it had folders with its instruction files and possibly stored zips, located elsewhere on the computer. Might have been under AppData which is a hidden folder, roaming files or something like that. However it is my understanding that if you manually install the actual product, it doesn't know better one way or the other ;-)

Geografts are first made as clothing, then the geograft work is done, then the item is saved. In remaking the gens, all the morphs would be lost. So those too would have to be remade {if you want them}.

I would be inclined towards leaving the product as is, making a master template to use for texturing and saving out mat files.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    Ptrope said:

...edited ...

I want to know what could I possibly be missing - where is this data being stored that prevents EVERYTHING I do from being reset to the default? NO APPLICATION should be THIS persistent.

I don't know. The program itself is in the OS's program folders. But from what you have said, it should not be doing anything like this anyways.